Why is the bible needed at all?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is the bible needed at all?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Nothing existed but God. One 'day' God decided to make everything. Thus life began, based on the biblical story.
Over time, things happened and God seemed to say to himself, 'Y'all know what? I think I need to start appointing people to write this junk down!"
Thus the bible began.
Over the years, he appointed more people to write down, not only what he said, but what he did.
Later, it was edited and translated and distributed throughout the planet.

Today, us lowly humans, have almost instant communication via the internet.

So it brings to question, why did God need the bible written down at all? Why doesn't God simply download what he wants us to know directly into our brains? Even before the wheel, God could have directed what he wants us to know in to our brains. He made our brains, our desire to know, think and understand many claim.
Surely this would have been better than an old fashion written word!
And yet, here we are (robots on other planets, DNA being sequenced, desiring to explore the universe) yet we still must rely on an old style, written word.
Why?
Why didn't God tell us directly what he wanted us to know and ignore the need for a written word at all?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Why is the bible needed at all?

Post #71

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm ... How do you know that those people don't want to understand?
Because there is no reason why they could not understand, if they truly want to understand.
That is not a definitive conclusion you can reach without knowing everyone involved and all their circumstances. You appear to be justifying your position with an unwarranted opinion.
If you disagree, please tell what is preventing someone to understand? If you can’t say anything, I think there is nothing preventing it.

brunumb
Savant

Post #72

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:42 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm ... How do you know that those people don't want to understand?
Because there is no reason why they could not understand, if they truly want to understand.
That is not a definitive conclusion you can reach without knowing everyone involved and all their circumstances. You appear to be justifying your position with an unwarranted opinion.
If you disagree, please tell what is preventing someone to understand? If you can’t say anything, I think there is nothing preventing it.

People are not all the same and they all have different limitations. You must feel blessed that you have such a full and true understanding if the Bible. That said, it is obvious that you can't support your claim so you attempt to shift the burden onto me. Nice dodge.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #73

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 pm Nothing existed but God. One 'day' God decided to make everything. Thus life began, based on the biblical story.
Over time, things happened and God seemed to say to himself, 'Y'all know what? I think I need to start appointing people to write this junk down!"
Thus the bible began.
Over the years, he appointed more people to write down, not only what he said, but what he did.

So it brings to question, why did God need the bible written down at all? Why doesn't God simply download what he wants us to know directly into our brains? Even before the wheel, God could have directed what he wants us to know in to our brains. He made our brains, our desire to know, think and understand many claim.
It is funny you mention that, because it is the Christian belief that God has embedded basic concepts of right/wrong in our hearts and minds, so that for the most part, even those who've never heard of Christ will still know that stealing/murder is wrong.

As far as the Bible is concerned, it is more of a detailed instruction manual for how the human creation should operate, while at the same time giving a vivid history course on the product (mankind) and its Creator.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #74

Post by nobspeople »

We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:09 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Feb 11, 2021 12:09 pm Nothing existed but God. One 'day' God decided to make everything. Thus life began, based on the biblical story.
Thus the bible began.

It is funny you mention that, because it is the Christian belief that God has embedded basic concepts of right/wrong in our hearts and minds, so that for the most part, even those who've never heard of Christ will still know that stealing/murder is wrong.

As far as the Bible is concerned, it is more of a detailed instruction manual for how the human creation should operate, while at the same time giving a vivid history course on the product (mankind) and its Creator.
I'd suggest society tells us what's right and wrong in many instances. Additionally, killing another was done, and justified, by many people, including Christians - Christians who claimed and were accepted to by many, to have 'God in their hearts' at the time. The bible itself tells of God killing people. If God isn't in his own heart, there's no hope for anyone else.

Lastly, to me, the bible is simply a culmination of stories from people from different times, with different writing styles, of what they saw and or experienced, filtered through their beliefs, that others edited and put together as a book.
The bible has been used for good and bad. Therefore, the bible is nothing but a tool for people to justify their inner needs and desires all the while justifying their deeds and, in some cases, hiding behind.

We_Are_VENOM
Banned
Banned

Post #75

Post by We_Are_VENOM »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 am I'd suggest society tells us what's right and wrong in many instances.
Right, and my point is, most (if not all) societies are in agreement that things like murder, rape, and killing are wrong...and I think this is based upon a universal code of benevolence that God has placed in everyone's heart.
nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 am Additionally, killing another was done, and justified, by many people, including Christians - Christians who claimed and were accepted to by many, to have 'God in their hearts' at the time. The bible itself tells of God killing people. If God isn't in his own heart, there's no hope for anyone else.
You do know the difference between killing, and murder...correct?
nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:02 am Lastly, to me, the bible is simply a culmination of stories from people from different times, with different writing styles, of what they saw and or experienced, filtered through their beliefs, that others edited and put together as a book.
The bible has been used for good and bad. Therefore, the bible is nothing but a tool for people to justify their inner needs and desires all the while justifying their deeds and, in some cases, hiding behind.
Well, if you are not a Christian/Jew, I don't expect you to look at the Bible in the same way that we do.

We view it from different lens...to us, it is the word of the living God that we should all abide by...for you, it is just a book of stories.

Big difference.
Venni Vetti Vecci!!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #76

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to We_Are_VENOM in post #76]
most (if not all) societies are in agreement that things like murder, rape, and killing are wrong...and I think this is based upon a universal code of benevolence that God has placed in everyone's heart.
We would first have to agree God exists, of course. Which we can't. So we should see what we know we have and use it (IMO of course) which is the here-n-now. Otherwise, we're left wishing and hoping. Which isn't wrong per se, so long as it's seen as a belief and not fact I'd think.
You do know the difference between killing, and murder...correct?
I depends on who you ask and the situation. How would you make the distinction?
Well, if you are not a Christian/Jew, I don't expect you to look at the Bible in the same way that we do.
Maybe. But even current Christian/Jews can read the same passage and see it differently so I don't think that's as big of an issue as it would appear on the surface.