Why is the bible needed at all?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is the bible needed at all?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Nothing existed but God. One 'day' God decided to make everything. Thus life began, based on the biblical story.
Over time, things happened and God seemed to say to himself, 'Y'all know what? I think I need to start appointing people to write this junk down!"
Thus the bible began.
Over the years, he appointed more people to write down, not only what he said, but what he did.
Later, it was edited and translated and distributed throughout the planet.

Today, us lowly humans, have almost instant communication via the internet.

So it brings to question, why did God need the bible written down at all? Why doesn't God simply download what he wants us to know directly into our brains? Even before the wheel, God could have directed what he wants us to know in to our brains. He made our brains, our desire to know, think and understand many claim.
Surely this would have been better than an old fashion written word!
And yet, here we are (robots on other planets, DNA being sequenced, desiring to explore the universe) yet we still must rely on an old style, written word.
Why?
Why didn't God tell us directly what he wanted us to know and ignore the need for a written word at all?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Why is the bible needed at all?

Post #41

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 1:45 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon Feb 15, 2021 3:42 pm ...Well, Yeshua expanded on that two witness teaching, he said if I only witness for myself, my witness is not true (John 5:31). On the other hand, Paul calls himself an apostle who God speaks to, on his own witness, and expects to be heeded as an apostle versus as a false prophet (Matthew 7:13-23). Yet Paul taught that "we" shall not all sleep"/die, yet "we" have all died.
Difficult to say, in Biblical point of view, death of the body is not the end and soul can still live.

And about Paul’s own testimony, I think it is not necessary to believe it, but, because of what he says, I can believe him. I mean, his teachings are in line with teachings of Jesus and God and can help to understand better, which is why I think it is possible he is speaking the truth.
Paul, according to Paul, is all things to all men. His message is believe what he says, and you are saved now and forever. Yeshua taught the kingdom of heaven/God, which is judgment for sin/wickedness, which is transgression of the Law, and that one must repent, be baptized, and produce good fruit, or be cut off and thrown into the fire (Matthew 3), and at the same time a kingdom for the survivors of the judgment day (Zechariah 14 & Ezekiel 37). According to Yeshua, the only one to be "saved", is the one who "endures to the end" (Matthew 24:13). Paul is the proponent of lawlessness, the gospel of grace, whereas the law is "obsolete", whereas Yeshua taught when lawlessness increases, love "will grow cold" (Matthew 24:12). Right now, the lawless, the wicked, are becoming evident, and according to Matthew 13:49, will be gathered out "first" (Matthew 13:30), and burnt. The lawless feel they are righteous, but in the end, they will find themselves under bad circumstances. As they judge others, so shall they be judged.

The "soul" is nothing more than the dust of the ground combined with the breath of God (Genesis 2:7). When one dies, the dust returns to the ground.

Savant

Post #42

Post by 1213 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:32 pm …His message is believe what he says, and you are saved now and forever.
Please show the scripture that tells to.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:32 pm… Paul is the proponent of lawlessness, the gospel of grace, whereas the law is "obsolete"…
I disagree with that. Paul said: “But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully” 1 Tim. 1:8. I think he has been misunderstood. He agrees that the law is good and it tells correctly hat is good and right. I think the reason why people misunderstand him is that by what he says, people don’t earn salvation or eternal life by doing what the law says. After all, everyone should do good and right because understands it is good and right and freely wants that, not because tries to earn reward from it. If person does good only to gain reward, he is not very righteous. And as the Bible tells, eternal life is for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20

Savant

Post #43

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 2:02 pm …But God made these people. And, if he's concerned, he should intervein and make a correction to the mess he created. But he doesn't seem to be doing that. …
...Of course, the response is something akin to 'God provided everyone with what they need to make an informed decision' which is nothing but an excuse for a lackluster God as far as I can see it
I don’t think God has created the mess. It seems to me that many would not really even want to understand the message correctly. And I think all that is needed is that person remains in truth. The mess comes when people begin to add own meanings and interpretations so that they get the message they want to hear, not the truth.

Also, if there is something that is difficult to understand, there is this promise for all:

But if any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach; and it will be given to him.
James 1:5

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #44]
I don’t think God has created the mess.
Of course you don't. But he either created it or allowed it to become said mess. Either way, responsibility is, at least in part, his IMO.
It seems to me that many would not really even want to understand the message correctly.
Surely some wouldn't. And some would actively reject it. But there are others (like me) that would welcome it. Besides all that, this is NO reason for God not to put it out there in a better way.
And I think all that is needed is that person remains in truth.
Fine. But they first have to find it. And with the ambiguity some see in the bible, it's more difficult for some than others.
The mess comes when people begin to add own meanings and interpretations so that they get the message they want to hear, not the truth.
That's partially true. However, God have EVERY means and ability to interject and keep the mess from getting, well, messier. But he hasn't. Does he not care or has he given up?
if there is something that is difficult to understand, there is this promise for all:
So if there's difficulty in understanding the bible, you're using the bible to prove there's hope?! That makes zero sense.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #45

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

1213 wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:18 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:32 pm …His message is believe what he says, and you are saved now and forever.
Please show the scripture that tells to.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue Feb 16, 2021 4:32 pm… Paul is the proponent of lawlessness, the gospel of grace, whereas the law is "obsolete"…
I disagree with that. Paul said: “But we know that the law is good, if a man uses it lawfully” 1 Tim. 1:8. I think he has been misunderstood. He agrees that the law is good and it tells correctly hat is good and right. I think the reason why people misunderstand him is that by what he says, people don’t earn salvation or eternal life by doing what the law says. After all, everyone should do good and right because understands it is good and right and freely wants that, not because tries to earn reward from it. If person does good only to gain reward, he is not very righteous. And as the Bible tells, eternal life is for righteous.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

For I tell you that unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, there is no way you will enter into the Kingdom of Heaven.
Mat. 5:20
As with the "many" (Matthew 7:13-23), as shown in Malachi 3:15, the "wicked", also known as the lawless, will not be able to distinguish between righteousness and wickedness. The "wicked", the lawless, will not "understand" (Daniel 12:10). As for Paul, he is all things to all men, and the foremost of sinners, according Paul. And how did you gain your "reward"? Did you believe what Paul said and therefore you are "saved".

The Apostle Paul summarized the message of salvation – the Gospel – in 1 Corinthians 15, “Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you.

Savant

Post #46

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:00 pm … But there are others (like me) that would welcome it. Besides all that, this is NO reason for God not to put it out there in a better way…
In that case, what is the problem, what you can’t understand in the Bible? (One example is enough in this case).
nobspeople wrote: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:00 pm…However, God have EVERY means and ability to interject and keep the mess from getting, well, messier. ..
The mess is basically between person and the Bible. If person wants to understand the Bible, he can jump over the mess and read directly what the Bible tells. Bible is not a mess.

Savant

Post #47

Post by 1213 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 pmAs with the "many" (Matthew 7:13-23), as shown in Malachi 3:15, the "wicked", also known as the lawless, will not be able to distinguish between righteousness and wickedness.
Neither of those says wicked are not able to distinguish between righteousness and wickedness.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 pmThe "wicked", the lawless, will not "understand" (Daniel 12:10).
Many shall purify themselves, and make themselves white, and be refined; but the wicked shall do wickedly; and none of the wicked shall understand; but those who are wise shall understand.
Daniel 12:10

Yes, and I think that is because they don’t want to understand, not because they are not able to understand.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:46 pm
The Apostle Paul summarized the message of salvation – the Gospel – in 1 Corinthians 15, “Now, brothers, I want to remind you of the gospel I preached to you, which you received and on which you have taken your stand. By this gospel you are saved, if you hold firmly to the word I preached to you.
The Gospel is that sins are forgiven. When sins are forgiven, person is saved from the judgment that would have come because of sin. But, that is not all, forgiveness gives a new start, but it is not yet that you are in life yet. As Jesus tells, eternal life is for righteous. There must happen change in person so that he doesn’t continue in sin.

Paul really is not against the law.

Mousetrap

Post #48

Post by Mousetrap »

According to my understanding, God does not need the Bible at all.
However, the Bible is a simple recording of what happened over the past since the creation to the life of Jesus to the end of the spreadding of Christianity .

God did not intend to "Dictate" a book for humans to live by such as the claim of Muhammad on the Quran, but He did dicatle His Laws to Moses, and Moses recorded what God said.
Furthermore, Moses collected the historical account of the humans who lived before him, and the events that happened up untill his lifetime.
The formalising of priests and government controll in Israel led to the Judges and Kings, who continued to 'record' the historical events and revelations they received in the capacities they had in the Kingdoms of Israel and Judah up untill the time of before Jesus. It is no surprise that the priests and scribes would collect all the written historical writings, and keep it safe from dynasty to dynasty. This was part of the formalities of the Israel government.
With the life of Jesus and the Apostles, another recording of His life and events was recorded for posterity, this was done to allow people in the far off future to know what happened 2 000 years ago. Also not a surprise.

As we know all these writings were collected and compiled in a book called the Scripture, and lateron the Bible. One can only come to the conclusion that the writers were deeply religious, and they believed they were writing with an influence of the Holy Ghost. This I will also not critisize, for when reading the contents, one realist that the main theme is actually very solid in thought, yet one sees the different personalities of the different authors in their writings too. Not like some angel dictating everything Word-by-word.

I think people have a very narrow viewpoint in thinking the Bible is a book revealed by God, and every word in it is the absolute utterance of God.

This is the Islamic understanding of the Quran, and such compilation methodology can never be associated with the Bible.

The Bible is much more.
It contains an Historical account not found in any other religious book and was over the past 250 years never contradicted with a single archaeological discovery. On the contrary, thousands of discoveries up to now actually confirms thousands of mentioned people, kings, events and places.
It also contains "Moral Laws" dictated thousands of years ago.
It contains confirmed prophecies, and future prophecies proving that the Prophetical profhecies recorded in its pages, had a supernatural source.
It contains Psalms, praises and prayers etc.

Therefore, to ask: "Why is the Bible needed at all?" is something one can ask if you never bothered to take the time to read it for yourself, and to discover many incredible facts which will enrich your life.

As an example, Isaac Newton took the time, and he came to the conclusion that the Bible is the only religious book that had not a single contradiction when measured with experimental and theoretical science.

In conclusion, If you want to know why you need the Bible, go and read it and perhaps you will discover an incredible scientific law, such as the laws of gravity and Motion, or light, refraction and lensing such as Newton did.
Or perhaps you will discover the philosophy of Immanuel Kant in Genesis and will describe the Scientific description on the Origins of the Universe and the Solar System (History of the Heavens based on Newtonian principles). You might even discover the science of Geology, Fossilisation and crystallisation, as did Nicolae Stenno.

I can give many more examples, but for now these will suffice.
Oh, and guess what, these men, perhaps the greatest of scientists and Philosophers who ever lived, they got their insight from the Bible.

Yeah!
Perhaps we should rely on the Bible again.
Or we can discard it, without even bothering to know what it is, if we want to continue to live on preconceived bias.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #49

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #47]
In that case, what is the problem, what you can’t understand in the Bible?
It's not about understanding, it's about being shown proof, which is to what I was referring.
The mess is basically between person and the Bible.
If that's the only means God has or wants to use, then there's really no point in trying to seek him at all. The bible is written by men, not a perfect being. The bible is a scapegoat in that way: "all things will be revealed in the bible!"
Which is, IMO, wrong based on many things, one being the many various sects of the belief system that bases their beliefs on said book.

Savant

Post #50

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 am [Replying to 1213 in post #47]
In that case, what is the problem, what you can’t understand in the Bible?
It's not about understanding, it's about being shown proof, which is to what I was referring.
Ok, sorry. I that case, are you asking proof that God is real, or that Bible is correct? Because in the Bible the point is basically in what is righteousness, I think it has everything necessary for that and for person to become righteous.
nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:45 am
The mess is basically between person and the Bible.
If that's the only means God has or wants to use, then there's really no point in trying to seek him at all. The bible is written by men, not a perfect being. The bible is a scapegoat in that way: "all things will be revealed in the bible!"
Which is, IMO, wrong based on many things, one being the many various sects of the belief system that bases their beliefs on said book.
If sects are different, then I don’t think they have really based their religion to Bible. If the base would really be the same, also the result would be the same.