Why is the bible needed at all?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is the bible needed at all?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Nothing existed but God. One 'day' God decided to make everything. Thus life began, based on the biblical story.
Over time, things happened and God seemed to say to himself, 'Y'all know what? I think I need to start appointing people to write this junk down!"
Thus the bible began.
Over the years, he appointed more people to write down, not only what he said, but what he did.
Later, it was edited and translated and distributed throughout the planet.

Today, us lowly humans, have almost instant communication via the internet.

So it brings to question, why did God need the bible written down at all? Why doesn't God simply download what he wants us to know directly into our brains? Even before the wheel, God could have directed what he wants us to know in to our brains. He made our brains, our desire to know, think and understand many claim.
Surely this would have been better than an old fashion written word!
And yet, here we are (robots on other planets, DNA being sequenced, desiring to explore the universe) yet we still must rely on an old style, written word.
Why?
Why didn't God tell us directly what he wanted us to know and ignore the need for a written word at all?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Why is the bible needed at all?

Post #61

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:30 pmThen it would seem God is fine with some not understanding, while others are fine to understand. Is that really a being one wants to worship? One that is fine with people not understanding, even if they want to understand?
I don’t believe they want to understand. And I think it is great thing that God has given freedom.

Savant

Post #62

Post by 1213 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:41 am …If you read Matthew 13:13, it is quoting with respect no understanding, from Isaiah 6, which does not conclude in "understanding" until the "cities are devastated and without inhabitant" (Har-Magedon)….
I think the ley thing in this is, why don’t they see, or understand. I think Matt. 13:15 answers well to that. They have willingly closed their eyes, they don’t want to hear or understand, that is why I think it is not God’s fault, or something that is against their will.

For this people's heart has grown callous, Their ears are dull of hearing, They have closed their eyes; Or else perhaps they might perceive with their eyes, Hear with their ears, Understand with their heart, And should turn again; And I would heal them.'
Matthew 13:15

Savant

Post #63

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:28 am What you're stating as a fact is not because you're making a claim that isn't supported by reality. Millions if not more people would disagree with you. It sounds arrogant to think you're right and those millions are wrong, simply because YOU believe a certain way, don't you think? Or is it faith?
If I think Bible is not ambiguous and someone else thinks it is, how we decide who is right? I think best way is that the one who thinks it is ambiguous explains why he thinks so and then I explain why it is not. I think it is not a matter of belief, or opinion, but reason.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #64

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #64]
If I think Bible is not ambiguous and someone else thinks it is, how we decide who is right?
Having been a Christian for decades, I suspect, like I did, you make it make sense because you want it to make sense; you're not looking at it in a unbiased way. Therefore, I suggest, generally, you're wrong in your 'understanding' of the bible.
I think it is not a matter of belief, or opinion, but reason.
You're wrong, because, with the bible, it's ALL about belief. It's not a scientific journal.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #65

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:47 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:30 pmThen it would seem God is fine with some not understanding, while others are fine to understand. Is that really a being one wants to worship? One that is fine with people not understanding, even if they want to understand?
I don’t believe they want to understand.
Well, you're once again wrong as there are plenty of people who WANT to understand but don't because some of it is nonsensical and down right lacking of common sense and logic, while speaking to science fiction, not to mention when you're supposed to read it symbolically and when you're supposed to read it for reality.

But, your bolded claim above is not what you said here:
but Bible doesn’t say they could not understand, it says only that they don’t understand.
You said, flat out, they DON'T understand, not that they don't WANT to understand.
It seems, like your reading of the bible, you're mixing your words to protect a POV.
Which is fine, so long as you admit it. Otherwise, it calls into question things like believability and character IMO.

brunumb
Savant

Post #66

Post by brunumb »

I don’t believe they want to understand. And I think it is great thing that God has given freedom.
That is only your opinion which appears to have been formed based on personal biases. How do you know that those people don't want to understand?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #67

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:41 am …If you read Matthew 13:13, it is quoting with respect no understanding, from Isaiah 6, which does not conclude in "understanding" until the "cities are devastated and without inhabitant" (Har-Magedon)….
I think the ley thing in this is, why don’t they see, or understand. I think Matt. 13:15 answers well to that. They have willingly closed their eyes, they don’t want to hear or understand, that is why I think it is not God’s fault, or something that is against their will.

For this people's heart has grown callous, Their ears are dull of hearing, They have closed their eyes; Or else perhaps they might perceive with their eyes, Hear with their ears, Understand with their heart, And should turn again; And I would heal them.'
Matthew 13:15
The reason those of the darkness do not come to the light is because it would expose their wickedness/lawlessness. That isn't a problem for those of the light, for if they see the light they will go to it. The quote Yeshua was using for his parable (Isaiah 6:9-10), is the one whereas understanding will come after the cities all fall (Isaiah 6:11), which is during Har-Magedon, when the "cities of the nations fell" (Revelation 16:19). Only "a tenth" will survive (Isaiah 6:13).

The Law reads to keep the Sabbath holy, which is the 7th day of the week, which corresponds to the 7th millennium, whereas the saints rule for a thousand years (Revelation 20:4). The day of rest for the lawless, is the day of the sun, the day after the millennium, when the lawless find rest in the lake of fire after being judged for their deeds. The law and the prophets provides the light, but those of the darkness can't accept the light, for it exposes their wickedness/lawlessness. The day of the sun day of rest comes from Constantine's decree of 321 AD, whereas you could not buy or sell on the day of the sun. Anyone with the mark of the beast/Constantine, will drink from the cup of God's wrath (Revelation 14:10). That is a bit much for those walking in the darkness to swallow, that their false gospel of grace, from the false prophet Paul, isn't worth the paper it is written on.

Savant

Post #68

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm ... How do you know that those people don't want to understand?
Because there is no reason why they could not understand, if they truly want to understand.

brunumb
Savant

Post #69

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:19 pm ... How do you know that those people don't want to understand?
Because there is no reason why they could not understand, if they truly want to understand.
That is not a definitive conclusion you can reach without knowing everyone involved and all their circumstances. You appear to be justifying your position with an unwarranted opinion.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #70

Post by nobspeople »

brunumb wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:26 pm
1213 wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:27 am
That is not a definitive conclusion you can reach without knowing everyone involved and all their circumstances. You appear to be justifying your position with an unwarranted opinion.
I'm basing my opinion off of my own experience, which is where opinions come from most times. When someone asks "How do you know that those people don't want to understand?" (which is silly to me TBH - why would one not want to understand then complain that they don't understand? but people are surprising so who knows :D ).
We don't know, but it's my opinion and, as stated and makes the most sense.
Can I prove it?
No, no more than you can prove your POV that "those people don't want to understand".

But it stands to reason if someone wants to understand, they make the effort to understand.