Symbolising a Thing = Doing that Thing?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Symbolising a Thing = Doing that Thing?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for debate: If something is morally wrong, is engaging in symbolism of that thing also morally wrong?

Do the bad apples spoil the apples that are next to them? That happened historically to be next to them? If an evil person touches something, does that thing become evil?

A few examples (which not everyone agrees to the validity of, bear in mind):
Killing Native Americans was wrong, so Thanksgiving, which is related to killing Native Americans, is probably wrong.
Christmas and Easter are wrong for Christians because they contain Pagan symbolism and traditions.
Worshiping Lucifer the Light is wrong, so eating candy red hots with a picture of a cartoon devil on the package is wrong.
The Roman salute is wrong because Nazis used a version of it.
Hurting animals is wrong, so watching any media where an animal is hurt (even if no real animal was hurt in the process) is also wrong.
Eating babies is wrong, so eating a cake shaped like a baby is also wrong.
Eating meat is wrong, therefore eating tofu that is shaped like animals is also wrong.

One problem that comes to mind is that if we accept the validity of previous history tainting what would otherwise be innocuous actions, eventually no remaining actions will be permissible. Eventually every action will come to be associated with evil and then put aside. This will happen all the more quickly since the new evil people, even more than good people, don't want to be associated with other evil people - they want to hide the fact that they're evil, so they especially must select new actions and symbols. And thus, every generation, evil people do new things which must then be removed from the pool of acceptable actions.

As for the lesser question of symbolism, such as eating tofu shaped like animals, on certain levels it can give an ick reaction, but does that mean we mustn't do it, if no real animals are hurt? Arguably people (but not animals) can be emotionally hurt by something like that, but is that the sole reason one ought not engage in it?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Symbolising a Thing = Doing that Thing?

Post #21

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:43 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm why wasn't the bible good enough for JWs? Why did they feel the need to 'translate' it yet again?

For the following reasons, to ...

1. make the bible available in languages have not previously had bibles
2. better reflect [the] ever increasing knowledge of ancient manuscripts and bible languages.
3. Produce a translation in language more understandable to modern readership
4. produce a translation free of the religious bias favoring unscriptural teachings
5. restore the Divine Name (YHWH) to its original place

BIBLE TRANSLATIONS
So the JWs thought they knew better than all the other, previous translators, editors, scholars and distributions?

Clarification: When I said... "2. better reflect our ever increaing knowledge of ancient manuscripts and bible languages." I meant humans /peoples /the world's , not "our" as in only JWs (see edit).

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #22

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:43 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:46 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:43 pm
nobspeople wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 12:21 pm why wasn't the bible good enough for JWs? Why did they feel the need to 'translate' it yet again?

For the following reasons, to ...

1. make the bible available in languages have not previously had bibles
2. better reflect [the] ever increasing knowledge of ancient manuscripts and bible languages.
3. Produce a translation in language more understandable to modern readership
4. produce a translation free of the religious bias favoring unscriptural teachings
5. restore the Divine Name (YHWH) to its original place

BIBLE TRANSLATIONS
So the JWs thought they knew better than all the other, previous translators, editors, scholars and distributions?

Clarification: When I said... "2. better reflect our ever increaing knowledge of ancient manuscripts and bible languages." I meant humans /peoples /the world's , not "our" as in only JWs (see edit).

JW
Thanks for the clarification, but I don't think that changes much, if anything.

Revelation 22:18-19
I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

Deuteronomy 4:2
You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it...

Matthew 22:29
But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #23

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:40 am

I testify to everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: if anyone adds to them, God will add to him the plagues which are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God will take away his part from the tree of life and from the holy city, which are written in this book.

You shall not add to the word which I am commanding you, nor take away from it...

But Jesus answered and said to them, “You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures nor the power of God.

Did you have a point you wanted to make by citing these scriptures? If so do you feel inclined to explain what it is?

JE

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #24

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:25 pm

Did you have a point you wanted to make by citing these scriptures? If so do you feel inclined to explain what it is?

JE
What do they mean to you? That's what's more important.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 pm

JE

For me they mean God will condemn those who attempt without divine direction to add to the body of inspired scripture.

JW

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #26

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:59 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:32 pm

JE

For me they mean God will condemn those who attempt without divine direction to add to the body of inspired scripture.

JW
I found the 'divine direction' unsurprising. But if that's what it means to you, great!