Why Christianity is Likely Ficticious

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rational Atheist
Student

Why Christianity is Likely Ficticious

Post #1

Post by Rational Atheist »

When evaluating whether the claims of Christianity are true or fictional, it's important to take a step back and think about what is typically seen with regard to true beliefs and false beliefs. And, one of the most important characteristics of true beliefs is the fact that they are often independently discovered by multiple people. For instance, pulmonary circulation was discovered/theorized independently in Egypt by Ibn al Nafis and later in Europe by Michael Servetus and later still William Harvey. Calculus was independently discovered by both Isacc Newton and Gottfried Leibniz, evolution was discovered independently by Charles Darwin and Alfred Russell Wallace. There are countless other examples of "multiple discoveries" of facts that can be found here. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... iscoveries

The point is that rational people, who objectively search for truth, will often independently discover facts about the universe. So if Christianity and the existence of the Christian god is a fact about the universe (and we could apply this argument to any other religion/god as well), then we would expect that sincere theologians around the world dedicated to the search for God would independently discover Jesus Christ/Yahweh/Holy Spirit, and thus become Christians. As a result, we would not expect it to take 1500 years for Christianity to reach North America, for instance. If Christianity is true, then it is an objective fact and should thus be discoverable by anyone searching hard enough for the truth about the universe. So, why don't we see Christianity emerge in North or South America, Africa, or China, prior to the arrival of Christians into these parts of the world? One would expect that if Christianity were an objectively true fact, it would be independently discovered in multiple regions of the world. But, it wasn't. Quite the opposite. Prior to the invention of technologies that allowed world travel and communication, every culture had its own version of God, and its own religion. While some of these gods and religions had slight similarities, none of the matched exactly. This is strong evidence that all of these gods and religions are manmade constructs that only exist in the imaginations of humans.

So, my question for Christians is, if your religion is a fact, why was it never independently discovered by anyone? Bear in mind that not only is Christianity supposed to be an objective fact, the god is supposed to want people to know and worship him, meaning that it should be even MORE LIKELY for Christianity to be independently discovered if it is a fact than scientific and mathematical facts are to be independently discovered.

Tcg
Savant

Re: Why Christianity is Likely Ficticious

Post #181

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 am The God of the bible is NOT presented as being desirous of providing verifiable evidence for the wicked.
No, the God of the Bible is presented as having provided verifiable evidence for all.
Romans 1:19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.
As we see time and again, trying to develop a consistent story based on biblical claims isn't going to happen.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #182

Post by Purple Knight »

Clownboat wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:07 pmThis is cult behavior, to provide something to unite against as a group.
To be fair, every human on the planet does this. You take murderers and you label them wicked and you unite against them and punish them. How horrible! Why in the world can't we judge people by their character, and not whether or not they chose to murder?! Oh what a world! I'm melting! Melting!

Okay, I went overboard. But you have to realise that these evil acts being actually evil acts are bound up with their religion for religious people. Mormons, for example, don't think you should drink alcohol. Reason knows there are good reasons for that... I've lived out most of them because my family is a bunch of alcoholics.

A religion is just a particular set of beliefs about which actions are good and which ones are evil. They might be wrong, but so might we be wrong that murder is evil. We also have such a belief set. We also otherise and ostracise people who don't share our belief set. It's a strawman to say they don't judge people by their character; they just have an organised way of judging and enforcing character traits, and they add more prohibitions than just that against murdering.

They absolutely are judging character, the same as you are when you or I judge people by their morals. The religious simply disagree with you on how far to go doing that and how many prohibitions there ought to be. They also have a convenient way for people to agree that they accept this particular set of morals, and that is by joining that particular religion.

Just take yourself out of the real world for a moment and imagine that you, the person who wants murder illegal, are in the minority. You seek out other people who don't believe it's right to murder and by doing so you form an insular group within which you can be at ease. You think people outside the group are bad and you distrust them, because, well... they murder.

Now just sub some kooky religious belief like the belief that you shouldn't drink alcohol. They form an insular group within which they can be more at ease because they don't have to fear drunks. They think the people outside the group are bad and they distrust them, because well... they drink alcohol.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #183

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:39 pm
Goat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 pm In Judaism, the messiah is supposed to be only a man, not the son of god, nor god. There are a number of task that have to be done by him before he can be considered the Messiah, one of which is having a Temple in Jerusalem, with the torah as it's center. Another is to have the vast majority of Jews live in Israel. Neither of those tasks have been accomplished.
To what are those expectations based on? There was a temple in Jerusalem when Jesus was on earth and by what I know, most of Jews were there also. And actually, there were two temples, because in Bible Jesus is the temple of God, or the cornerstone of that temple, and his disciples are also part of that temple of God.

I think it is also good to know, in the Bible Jesus is a man and there is only one true God that is greater than Jesus.

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

…the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5
Goat wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:22 pmThere is no 'salvation' as the Christians describe it, you are responsible for your own actions... so 'savior' for the next world is right out the window in the Jewish conception.
Christians may have claims that are not well based on the Bible and I don’t know what you mean with “'salvation' as the Christians describe it”, but in Bible salvation means basically that sins are declared forgiven. I don’t think forgiveness of sins means that person is not responsible of his own actions, it just means that God can forgive, if person has done wrongly. Is forgiveness not possible in Judaism?
According to the Torah, the Messiah will be:

a male descendant of the Jewish King David
human - he will have a human birth and human parents
a perfect teacher of God’s law
a great political leader - inspirational and a good judge
able to rebuild the Temple in Jerusalem
ruler over humanity - but he will rule with kindness
the bringer of peace to the world
able to unite humanity

I will point out that being a male decedent would be through the unbroken male line. The female line is not relevant.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

William
Savant

Post #184

Post by William »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #183]

Your explanation does not really show that clownboat is incorrect. It just shows that all behavior is cult behavior in relation to forming groups and judging others.

In a debate setting, such behavior is not usually accepted as legitimate - so any arguments which bring with them accusation and judgement is bad form...

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #185

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:15 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:11 am The God of the bible is NOT presented as being desirous of providing verifiable evidence for the wicked.
No, the God of the Bible is presented as having provided verifiable evidence for all.
Romans 1:19 For what can be known about God is plain to them, because God has shown it to them. 20 For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse.

And how do you believe this scripture proves your point? What are "the things that have been made" referred to in Romans 1 verse 19? Are you suggesting "the thing that have been made" are here presented as amounting to "verifiable evidence" of God' s identity? or of his existence? Or both?

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #186

Post by 1213 »

Goat wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:42 pm ...

able to unite humanity...
Ok, thank you. Could you please show more specifically, where are those said in the Torah?

William
Savant

Post #187

Post by William »

1213 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:09 pm

Ok, thank you. Could you please show more specifically, where are those said in the Torah?
It seems to me that the expectations Christians have re the anti-Christ fits the description of many of the Jewish expectations of the Messiah.

Perhaps the anti-Jewish sentimentality among Christians around the time the Christian bible was compiled, has something to do with that...

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #188

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:09 pm

From https://www.aish.com/jw/s/48892792.html

What is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God. (Isaiah 2:1-4, 32:15-18, 60:15-18; Zephaniah 3:9; Hosea 2:20-22; Amos 9:13-15; Micah 4:1-4; Zechariah 8:23, 14:9; Jeremiah 31:33-34)

Specifically, the Bible says he will:

Build the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).
Gather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Usher in an era of world peace, and end all hatred, oppression, suffering and disease. As it says: "Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, neither shall man learn war anymore." (Isaiah 2:4)
Spread universal knowledge of the God of Israel, which will unite humanity as one. As it says: "God will be King over all the world – on that day, God will be One and His Name will be One" (Zechariah 14:9).

And sldo
Many prophetic passages speak of a descendant of King David who will rule Israel during the age of perfection. (Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5-6, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; Ezekiel 34:11-31, 37:21-28; Hosea 3:4-5)

The Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24).
By Jewish law and custom, that would be an unbroken male line from father to son, no adoption (adoption follow the biological father's bloodline).
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Savant

Post #189

Post by 1213 »

Thanks for the answer and sorry, this is very long post, but I think it is good to look at all these details.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmWhat is the Messiah supposed to accomplish? One of the central themes of biblical prophecy is the promise of a future age of perfection characterized by universal peace and recognition of God.

…It shall happen in the latter days, that the mountain of Yahweh's house shall be established on the top of the mountains, And shall be raised above the hills; And all nations shall flow to it. Many peoples shall go and say, "Come, let's go up to the mountain of Yahweh, To the house of the God of Jacob; And he will teach us of his ways, And we will walk in his paths. For out of Zion the law shall go forth, And the word of Yahweh from Jerusalem. He will judge between the nations, And will decide concerning many peoples; And they shall beat their swords into plowshares, And their spears into pruning-hooks. Nation shall not lift up sword against nation, Neither shall they learn war any more.
Isaiah 2:1-4
Doesn’t have word Messiah, so why think this is about Messiah? But, it speaks about house of Yahweh, and according to the Bible, Jesus is the temple (house) of Yahweh, God dwells in Jesus.

Don't you believe that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. …
John 14:10-14

Jesus answered them, "Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up." The Jews therefore said, "Forty-six years was this temple in building, and will you raise it up in three days?" But he spoke of the temple of his body.
John 2:19-21
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmuntil the Spirit be poured on us from on high, and the wilderness become a fruitful field, and the fruitful field be esteemed as a forest. Then justice shall dwell in the wilderness; and righteousness shall abide in the fruitful field. The work of righteousness shall be peace; and the effect of righteousness, quietness and confidence forever. My people shall abide in a peaceable habitation, and in safe dwellings, and in quiet resting-places.
Isaiah 32:15-18
How is this about Messiah?
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmWhereas you have been forsaken and hated, so that no man passed through you, I will make you an eternal excellency, a joy of many generations. You shall also suck the milk of the nations, and shall suck the breast of kings; and you shall know that I, Yahweh, am your Savior, and your Redeemer, the Mighty One of Jacob. For brass I will bring gold, and for iron I will bring silver, and for wood brass, and for stones iron. I will also make your officers peace, and righteousness your ruler. Violence shall no more be heard in your land, desolation nor destruction within your borders; but you shall call your walls Salvation, and your gates Praise.
Isaiah 60:15-18
How is this about Messiah? It seems to me it is about how God does things.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmFor then I will purify the lips of the peoples, that they may all call on the name of Yahweh, to serve him shoulder to shoulder.
Zephaniah 3:9
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmI will even betroth you to me in faithfulness; And you shall know Yahweh. It will happen in that day, I will respond," says Yahweh, I will respond to the heavens, And they will respond to the earth; And the earth will respond to the grain, and the new wine, and the oil; And they will respond to Jezreel.
Hosea 2:20-22
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pm"Behold, the days come," says Yahweh, "That the plowman shall overtake the reaper, And the one treading grapes him who sows seed; And sweet wine will drip from the mountains, And flow from the hills. I will bring back the captivity of my people Israel, And they will rebuild the ruined cities, and inhabit them; and they will plant vineyards, and drink wine from them. They shall also make gardens, And eat the fruit of them. I will plant them on their land, And they will no more be plucked up out of their land which I have given them," says Yahweh your God.
Amos 9:13-15
Nice thing is that this seems to be happening, however, I don’t think this is about Messiah.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmBut in the latter days, It will happen that the mountain of Yahweh's temple will be established on the top of the mountains, And it will be exalted above the hills; And peoples will stream to it. Many nations will go and say, "Come, and let us go up to the mountain of Yahweh, And to the house of the God of Jacob; And he will teach us of his ways, And we will walk in his paths." For out of Zion will go forth the law, And the word of Yahweh from Jerusalem; And he will judge between many peoples, And will decide concerning strong nations afar off. They will beat their swords into plowshares, And their spears into pruning hooks. Nation will not lift up sword against nation, Neither will they learn war any more. But they will sit every man under his vine and under his fig tree; And no one will make them afraid: For the mouth of Yahweh of Hosts has spoken.
Micah 4:1-4
Same answer as to Isaiah 2:1-4.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmThus says Yahweh of Hosts: "In those days, ten men will take hold, out of all the languages of the nations, they will take hold of the skirt of him who is a Jew, saying, 'We will go with you, for we have heard that God is with you.'"
Zechariah 8:23
I think this has come true. Many people in many nations come to Jesus. Still, this has no word Messiah in it, so it is not necessary about Messiah.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmYahweh will be King over all the earth. In that day Yahweh will be one, and his name one.
Zechariah 14:9
How is that this tells God is the king, not a man?
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmBut this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, says Yahweh: I will put my law in their inward parts, and in their heart will I write it; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people: and they shall teach no more every man his neighbor, and every man his brother, saying, Know Yahweh; for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest of them, says Yahweh: for I will forgive their iniquity, and their sin will I remember no more.
Jeremiah 31:33-34
By what the Bible tells, that new covenant was done through Jesus.

Then he took a loaf of bread, gave thanks, broke it in pieces, and handed it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Keep on doing this in memory of me.” He did the same with the cup after supper, saying, “This cup is the new covenant in my blood, poured out for you.
Luke 22:19-20
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmBuild the Third Temple (Ezekiel 37:26-28).

Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them forevermore. My tent also shall be with them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. The nations shall know that I am Yahweh who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them forevermore.
Ezekiel 37:26-28
As said in previous parts, Jesus is the temple of God (John 2:19-21) and the new covenant was done through Jesus (Luke 22:19-20).
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmGather all Jews back to the Land of Israel (Isaiah 43:5-6).
Don't be afraid; for I am with you: I will bring your seed from the east, and gather you from the west; I will tell the north, Give up; and to the south, Don't keep back; bring my sons from far, and my daughters from the end of the earth;
Isaiah 43:5-6
How is this about Messiah? I think that tells what God will do.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmMany prophetic passages speak of a descendant of King David who will rule Israel during the age of perfection. (Isaiah 11:1-9; Jeremiah 23:5-6, 30:7-10, 33:14-16; Ezekiel 34:11-31, 37:21-28; Hosea 3:4-5)

There shall come forth a shoot out of the stock of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots shall bear fruit. The Spirit of Yahweh shall rest on him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Yahweh. His delight shall be in the fear of Yahweh; and he shall not judge after the sight of his eyes, neither decide after the hearing of his ears; but with righteousness shall he judge the poor, and decide with equity for the humble of the earth; and he shall strike the earth with the rod of his mouth; and with the breath of his lips shall he kill the wicked. Righteousness shall be the belt of his waist, and faithfulness the belt of his loins. The wolf shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fattened calf together; and a little child shall lead them. The cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and the lion shall eat straw like the ox. The sucking child shall play on the hole of the asp, and the weaned child shall put his hand on the adder's den. They shall not hurt nor destroy in all my holy mountain; for the earth shall be full of the knowledge of Yahweh, as the waters cover the sea.
Isaiah 11:1-9
I don’t think that speaks of a direct descendant of David. But I think that fits to the description of Jesus in the Bible.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmBehold, the days come, says Yahweh, that I will raise to David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In his days Judah shall be saved, and Israel shall dwell safely; and this is his name by which he shall be called: Yahweh our righteousness.
Jeremiah 23:5-6
I don’t think that speaks of a direct descendant of David. But I think that fits to the description of Jesus in the Bible.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmAlas! for that day is great, so that none is like it: it is even the time of Jacob's trouble; but he shall be saved out of it. It shall come to pass in that day, says Yahweh of Hosts, that I will break his yoke from off your neck, and will burst your bonds; and strangers shall no more make him their bondservant; but they shall serve Yahweh their God, and David their king, whom I will raise up to them. Therefore don't you be afraid, O Jacob my servant, says Yahweh; neither be dismayed, Israel: for, behold, I will save you from afar, and your seed from the land of their captivity; and Jacob shall return, and shall be quiet and at ease, and none shall make him afraid.
Jeremiah 30:7-10
This is interesting, because it seems to say God raises David up. Is David the Messiah Jews are waiting?
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmBehold, the days come, says Yahweh, that I will perform that good word which I have spoken concerning the house of Israel and concerning the house of Judah. In those days, and at that time, will I cause a Branch of righteousness to grow up to David; and he shall execute justice and righteousness in the land. In those days shall Judah be saved, and Jerusalem shall dwell safely; and this is the name by which she shall be called: Yahweh our righteousness.
Jeremiah 33:14-16
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmFor thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I myself, even I, will search for my sheep, and will seek them out. As a shepherd seeks out his flock in the day that he is among his sheep that are scattered abroad, so will I seek out my sheep; and I will deliver them out of all places where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day. I will bring them out from the peoples, and gather them from the countries, and will bring them into their own land; and I will feed them on the mountains of Israel, by the watercourses, and in all the inhabited places of the country. I will feed them with good pasture; and on the mountains of the height of Israel shall their fold be: there shall they lie down in a good fold; and on fat pasture shall they feed on the mountains of Israel. I myself will be the shepherd of my sheep, and I will cause them to lie down, says the Lord Yahweh. I will seek that which was lost, and will bring back that which was driven away, and will bind up that which was broken, and will strengthen that which was sick: but the fat and the strong I will destroy; I will feed them in justice. As for you, O my flock, thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I judge between sheep and sheep, the rams and the male goats. Seems it a small thing to you to have fed on the good pasture, but you must tread down with your feet the residue of your pasture? and to have drunk of the clear waters, but you must foul the residue with your feet? As for my sheep, they eat that which you have trodden with your feet, and they drink that which you have fouled with your feet. Therefore thus says the Lord Yahweh to them: Behold, I, even I, will judge between the fat sheep and the lean sheep. Because you thrust with side and with shoulder, and push all the diseased with your horns, until you have scattered them abroad; therefore will I save my flock, and they shall no more be a prey; and I will judge between sheep and sheep. I will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. I, Yahweh, will be their God, and my servant David prince among them; I, Yahweh, have spoken it. I will make with them a covenant of peace, and will cause evil animals to cease out of the land; and they shall dwell securely in the wilderness, and sleep in the woods. I will make them and the places round about my hill a blessing; and I will cause the shower to come down in its season; there shall be showers of blessing. The tree of the field shall yield its fruit, and the earth shall yield its increase, and they shall be secure in their land; and they shall know that I am Yahweh, when I have broken the bars of their yoke, and have delivered them out of the hand of those who made slaves of them. They shall no more be a prey to the nations, neither shall the animals of the earth devour them; but they shall dwell securely, and none shall make them afraid. I will raise up to them a plantation for renown, and they shall be no more consumed with famine in the land, neither bear the shame of the nations any more. They shall know that I, Yahweh, their God am with them, and that they, the house of Israel, are my people, says the Lord Yahweh. You my sheep, the sheep of my pasture, are men, and I am your God, says the Lord Yahweh.
Ezekiel 34:11-31
Same answer as in Jeremiah 30:7-10.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmSay to them, Thus says the Lord Yahweh: Behold, I will take the children of Israel from among the nations, where they are gone, and will gather them on every side, and bring them into their own land: and I will make them one nation in the land, on the mountains of Israel; and one king shall be king to them all; and they shall be no more two nations, neither shall they be divided into two kingdoms any more at all; neither shall they defile themselves any more with their idols, nor with their detestable things, nor with any of their transgressions; but I will save them out of all their dwelling-places, in which they have sinned, and will cleanse them: so shall they be my people, and I will be their God. My servant David shall be king over them; and they all shall have one shepherd: they shall also walk in my ordinances, and observe my statutes, and do them. They shall dwell in the land that I have given to Jacob my servant, in which your fathers lived; and they shall dwell therein, they, and their children, and their children's children, forever: and David my servant shall be their prince for ever. Moreover I will make a covenant of peace with them; it shall be an everlasting covenant with them; and I will place them, and multiply them, and will set my sanctuary in the midst of them forevermore. My tent also shall be with them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. The nations shall know that I am Yahweh who sanctifies Israel, when my sanctuary shall be in the midst of them forevermore.
Ezekiel 37:21-28
This has lot of same as Jeremiah 30:7-10, but also about new covenant that I think was done through Jesus. Also, the sanctuary could mean Jesus in this case, because Bible tells Jesus is the temple of God.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmFor the children of Israel shall abide many days without king, and without prince, and without sacrifice, and without sacred stone, and without ephod or idols. Afterward the children of Israel shall return, and seek Yahweh their God, and David their king, and shall come with trembling to Yahweh and to his blessings in the last days.
Hosea 3:4-5
Same answer as in Jeremiah 30:7-10.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmThe Messiah must be descended on his father's side from King David (see Genesis 49:10, Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:17; Ezekiel 34:23-24).

The scepter will not depart from Judah, Nor the ruler's staff from between his feet, Until he comes to whom it belongs. To him will the obedience of the peoples be.
Genesis 49:10
Is this really about David, who according to Jeremiah 30:7-10, Ezekiel 34:11-31 and Hosea 3:4-5 will be raised up?
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmThere shall come forth a shoot out of the stock of Jesse, and a branch out of his roots shall bear fruit.
Isaiah 11:1
I don’t think this means Messiah must be direct descendant of David.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmBehold, the days come, says Yahweh, that I will raise to David a righteous Branch, and he shall reign as king and deal wisely, and shall execute justice and righteousness in the land.
Jeremiah 23:5
I don’t think this means Messiah must be direct descendant of David. And I think this fits to Jesus.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmFor thus says Yahweh: David shall never want a man to sit on the throne of the house of Israel;
Jeremiah 33:17
This is interesting. I am not sure do I understand that correctly, because it seems to say that David doesn’t want a man to sit on the throne. In some translations the meaning is that there shall always be a man from the house of David on the throne, which also I think doesn’t necessary mean direct descendant of David.
Goat wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:53 pmI will set up one shepherd over them, and he shall feed them, even my servant David; he shall feed them, and he shall be their shepherd. I, Yahweh, will be their God, and my servant David prince among them; I, Yahweh, have spoken it.
Ezekiel 34:23-24
Here again it is David who is the king and shepherd. If David is the Messiah, who is the one who should be the descendant of David?

Who do you think is the second lord in this Psalm of David?

A Psalm of David. The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou at my right hand, until I make thine enemies thy footstool.
Ps. 110:1

As Jesus also asked, why would David call his son his Lord?

Savant

Post #190

Post by 1213 »

William wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:58 pm It seems to me that the expectations Christians have re the anti-Christ fits the description of many of the Jewish expectations of the Messiah.
It may be so. Unfortunately, I think it is possible that also many Christians will see antichrist fulfilling their Messiah expectations, because it seems nowadays many Christians would call Bible Jesus anti-Christ, because Jesus taught that there is only one God that is greater than him.

This is eternal life, that they should know you, the only true God, and him whom you sent, Jesus Christ.
John 17:3

the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28

It seems to me that many Jews and also Christians are misled and there is artificial conflict formed between them, with teachings that can’t really be supported well with the Bible. After all, even Paul said there is only one true God and Jesus is the mediator between God and men.

For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus,
1 Timothy 2:5

And that people don’t see that straight seems to be the strong delusion. Perhaps it would be time to end it.

And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:
2 The. 2:11