Over 100 Arguments for the Existence of God

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Over 100 Arguments for the Existence of God

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

"Over 100 Arguments for the Existence of God" presented by Capturing Christianity on YouTube.
Capturing Christianity wrote:In this video, Dr. Chad McIntosh presents over 100 arguments for the existence of God. Each argument is presented in visual form followed by recommended sources for further research.
4.5 hrs of material. Good resource?

For discussion: Is God finally proved to exist?
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Miles
Savant

Re: Over 100 Arguments for the Existence of God

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:17 pm
"Over 100 Arguments for the Existence of God" presented by Capturing Christianity on YouTube.
Capturing Christianity wrote:In this video, Dr. Chad McIntosh presents over 100 arguments for the existence of God. Each argument is presented in visual form followed by recommended sources for further research.
4.5 hrs of material. Good resource?

Image Right out of the gate these two shmoos display their utter lack of brain power when it comes to arguments, and I only say this because they talk as if they're on top of it all. Take the very first "argument' they present, which at the 13:12 mark, the knucklehead on the right prefaces with "What is a good argument? It's actually hard to say what a good argument is." Yet he professes to have assembled 100 of them. A true red flag to you the viewer, or not? Well it should be. In any case . . . .

At 15:08 Knucklehead on the left:

"I wanted to say that also these arguments are not random arguments that you're finding on Facebook, in random Facebook groups. These are peer reviewed, published . . arguments defended by some of the smartest ever."
Ya sure, and I voted for Trump.

At 15:58 Knucklehead on the right:

"Consider this theistic argument. It's a novel argument. Let's call it the Dixie Argument
[he goes on to recite the argument] Okay. Look, I think that's a sound argument for god's existence"

"Sound"!!! like my grandmother's wicker liquor bottle doesn't leak.

For those unfamiliar with syllogistic logic, the type of logic the two knuckleheads think they're presenting, three very important requirements have to be met before a syllogism can be considered sound.

1. The premises must be TRUE.
2. The FORM of the argument must be valid. As an example, its terms can be distributed in the following manner:

All M is P
S is M
________
S is P............which is one of close to twenty-five other valid forms

3. The conclusion must FOLLOW from the premises. That is, you can't conclude that P is S.

Well, right away the truth of the first premise is never established. Using the very same form I can just as easily make the argument that Lucifer rules the world because . . .

Either I had carrots for breakfast or Lucifer rules the world
I did not have carrots for breakfast

Can't get much more of an asinine argument than that. . . . . . . .or may one could, but I'll leave that up to others here to find out.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Aetixintro in post #1]
Sure, for some people. Probably had been proven for years. Scientifically is another story as I haven't seen anything scientific speaking to that.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

otseng
Savant

Post #4

Post by otseng »

Miles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pm At 15:08 Knucklehead on the left:
At 15:58 Knucklehead on the right:
Moderator Comment

Referring to others, even those not on this forum, as knuckleheads is uncivil.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by The Tanager »

I believe, through many arguments, that theism is more rational than atheism. I don't think those strong arguments prove (i.e., show with 100% certainty) that theism is true. I don't think this lack of 100% certainty is possible in many things, perhaps only in pure mathematics, definitions, probably something else I'm forgetting. Nor is this fact a big deal.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by The Tanager »

Miles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pmRight out of the gate these two shmoos display their utter lack of brain power when it comes to arguments, and I only say this because they talk as if they're on top of it all. Take the very first "argument' they present, which at the 13:12 mark, the knucklehead on the right prefaces with "What is a good argument? It's actually hard to say what a good argument is." Yet he professes to have assembled 100 of them. A true red flag to you the viewer, or not? Well it should be. In any case . . . .
Why is it a red flag to define what a 'good argument' is (he does this around the 16:20 mark) before showing what one thinks to be good arguments?
Miles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pmI wanted to say that also these arguments are not random arguments that you're finding on Facebook, in random Facebook groups. These are peer reviewed, published . . arguments defended by some of the smartest ever." Ya sure, and I voted for Trump.
I don't know who you voted for but, yes, these arguments are discussed (critiqued and defended) in the highest secular academic philosophical journals and have been discussed for hundreds and thousands of years by some of the greatest thinkers in human history which everyone studies about in school, although not as much as they should (and by that I'm referring to all philosophical thought, not just these theistic arguments).
Miles wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:32 pmConsider this theistic argument. It's a novel argument. Let's call it the Dixie Argument [he goes on to recite the argument] Okay. Look, I think that's a sound argument for god's existence"

"Sound"!!! like my grandmother's wicker liquor bottle doesn't leak.
He says that although he thinks the argument is sound, he does not consider the Dixie argument a good argument. The arguments he will share, he says, are not like the Dixie argument.

The Tanager
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by The Tanager »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:50 am
Sure, for some people. Probably had been proven for years. Scientifically is another story as I haven't seen anything scientific speaking to that.
How could we have, much less expect, scientific proof for or against God? Science plus philosophy, sure, but not science alone.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

I don't understand why even a single argument for God would be needed assuming God is omnipotent and omnipresent as some claim. Think of the things we don't have arguments for:

The argument for the existence of the earth.
The argument for the existence of the sun.
The argument for the existence of humans.
The argument for the existence of water.
The argument for the existence of the moon.
The argument for the existence of non-human animal life.

Why would we need arguments to establish the existence of the most powerful being in existence and one who is said to always be everywhere?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to The Tanager in post #7]

Comment to yours.
God seems scientifically proven by radio-astronomy on ghost detection setting (frequency range) way out there on fringes of Universe.
This means God has empirical foundation nowadays.

Yet, the intellectual "play" of Apologetics may be interpreted in this fashion:

1 - Complete Knowledge
Necessary Existing Complete Knowledge implies Possible Existing God and Heaven
Necessary Existing Complete Knowledge
Possible Existing God and Heaven

2 - Definition and Function of God (God is spirit and God has created Universe and all in it)
Necessary Existing Definition implies Possible Existing God
Necessary Existing Definition
Possible Existing God

3 - Meaning
Necessary Existing Meaning implies Possible Existing God
Necessary Existing Meaning
Possible Existing God

4 - Ethics (i.e., 10 Commandments and so on)
Necessary All Objective Ethics implies Possible Existing God
Necessary All Objective Ethics
Possible Existing God

S5 of all deductions 1, 2, 3, and 4.
Necessary Existing Meaning, Ethics, implies Possible, possible, possible, possible Existing God implies Necessary Existing God

Just as we may think of these 100 and some arguments for God as S5 logics 100 and some Possible Existing God that implies Necessary Existing God.

Good? :D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by nobspeople »

The Tanager wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:38 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:50 am
How could we have, much less expect, scientific proof for or against God? Science plus philosophy, sure, but not science alone.
If God is verifiable it stands to reason there could be scientific proof one way or the other. If you don't want scientific proof that's fine, but don't poopoo the idea that others do. That's rude and disingenuous.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!