Why is God deified?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is God deified?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's a simply question; does it have a simply answer?

What about this thing creates the desire for people to deify it?
What about this thing is worthy of being deified?

Why do you answer the way you answer?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bjs1
Sage

Re: Why is God deified?

Post #41

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:34 am
bjs1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 am However, some have pointed out that, if every word of the bible is true (particularly phrases that seem to be quoted which is debatable at the very least) there are gender related words used.
Words can be true without being literal. Simile, metaphor, synecdoche, hyperbole, personification, and onomatopoeia are all forms of non-literal language found in the Bible. Notably, the Bible has many psalms and vision that are not meant to be taken literally.
Agreed. However, IMO, if God wanted something to be known to be true, it would be said as true, with no room for ambiguity. Finding when that's the case and when it's not is, as we all have seen, difficult to agree with entirely.
And, to me (and others) that's a major issue: when is something 100% true and when is it not.
This is probably not a healthy approach to life. Reality is more complex than that. There is ambiguity, intricacy and shades of grey. Many things are not simply 100% true or not. Since reality is complex, we should not expect a simple God.

Now there are ways to understand God that are more simplistic, like what a six-year-old might believe. If that is what you want, very well. However, if you seek a faith that a child might accept then you will likely find a childish faith. If you will not be satisfied with that – a most modern adults will not – then you are going to find a more complex Christian faith.

It is no good demanding a complex faith and then complaining that what you find is complicated and nuanced.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #42

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #42]
This is probably not a healthy approach to life.
Thinking everything is complicated isn't a healthy approach. God should be simple and easy at not only understand but accept. And for many, he's neither.
Since reality is complex, we should not expect a simple God.
It's not about simplicity, it's about clarity.
It is no good demanding a complex faith and then complaining that what you find is complicated and nuanced.
Faith isn't complicated, either. It, well, either IS or ISN'T. There's no grey with God or his faith. Let me rephrase: With God, it's black or white. It's people that make the grey areas, interjecting their ideals and concepts into God's when it's really unnecessary.
you are going to find a more complex Christian faith.
Of course, because people created the Christian religion. Once people get their hands on things - especially intangible things, they tend to become less nuanced and more complicated.

And deity that wants billions upon billions of people to get to heaven with them - loving them all and all of that - all with distinct personalities and experiences, should be clear and unambiguous.

The modern God is only 'grey' because, IMO, it's created by people who are imperfect, created him to be perfect.

bjs1
Sage

Post #43

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:40 pm God should be simple and easy at not only understand but accept. And for many, he's neither.
Faith isn't complicated, either. It, well, either IS or ISN'T. There's no grey with God or his faith. Let me rephrase: With God, it's black or white.
As I said in my last post, if that is what you want, very well.

But it’s not Christianity. You can blame people or excuse it however you wish, but it is not what orthodox Christianity offers.

This does no harm to the Christian faith. Those who want something simple, something a child can understand, should look elsewhere. A simple version of the faith is presented to children, but when children grow up they are expected to put away childish things.

I do not know where you will find an uncomplicated worldview. Reality, whether we like it or not, is complicated. Any true view of the world would have to be complex as well. I wish you the best in finding a simple view of reality. All I can tell you is that Christianity isn’t it.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #44

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to bjs1 in post #44]
But it’s not Christianity. You can blame people or excuse it however you wish, but it is not what orthodox Christianity offers.
And I agreed. Christianity (the religion) was created by and continues to be operated by people. Cast the blame where ever one wants as it's immaterial to that fact.
This does no harm to the Christian faith.
I suppose it depends on one's POV. If one thinks Christianity is true, just and absolutely correct, it may.
Looking around at all the Christian sects, how some of them differ, it's easy to see, IMO, people manipulating Christianity to suit their needs (which is what I'm referring to) doesn't do it any favors IMO.
I do not know where you will find an uncomplicated worldview.
The bible says something to the effect "we are in this world but not of it'. So while there may not be a simple worldview of certain things, it's my opinion and belief Christianity should be simple. But it's not because people from all types of societies, regions, controlling factions have had their hands in it.
I can tell you is that Christianity isn’t it.
I never said it was. I said it SHOULD be.

bjs1
Sage

Post #45

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #45]

There seems to be little left to say on this topic. You think that Christianity should be simple. It is not, nor in my opinion should it be. A true faith should match the complex nature of the rest of reality. That truth is unchanged by how the faith started, how it has been operated, or who has attempted to manipulate it. I would not find a simple faith realistic, and I think that is true of most modern people.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #46

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:33 am [Replying to nobspeople in post #45]

There seems to be little left to say on this topic. You think that Christianity should be simple. It is not, nor in my opinion should it be. A true faith should match the complex nature of the rest of reality. That truth is unchanged by how the faith started, how it has been operated, or who has attempted to manipulate it. I would not find a simple faith realistic, and I think that is true of most modern people.
I guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Have a great weekend! :)

William
Savant

Post #47

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:37 am [Replying to William in post #39]
It appears to be a simple question but I do not think it is.
You're right. It's not, but it should be, IF there's one, true god.
What thing?
'Thing' used as a catch-all for God or creator, as it seems there's not a consensus here on what to call him or it.
In every instance there are no deities which can be said to actually exist as visible entities, so they exist within the minds of humans beings.
THIS!! :approve:
So in relation to that, my own idea of The Creator is not an image of anything in particular because one cannot image the invisible. This leaves me in a particular place where I see that the Universe is the result of an intelligent process [ I regard it as a virtual reality experience] and therein I might get some clues as to the nature of The Creator - but none could be expected to be believed as true of false in relation to 'putting a face and name to The Creator' in the form of imagery. [as do most religions]

So in my mind [minds eye] there is no such image, yet The Creator exists nonetheless as the creation verifies that much for me.