Why is God deified?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why is God deified?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

It's a simply question; does it have a simply answer?

What about this thing creates the desire for people to deify it?
What about this thing is worthy of being deified?

Why do you answer the way you answer?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bjs1
Sage

Re: Why is God deified?

Post #31

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 am I always wondered why the Christian God is a 'he' and not a 'she' or even an 'it'. Granted, what's written about him indicates a 'he' but it's possible (IMO) that's due to the writer's and the male dominated culture at the time. In other words, the Christian god may, if exists, truly be an 'it', or gender neutral (or maybe even gender absent).
Within orthodox Christianity God is gender neutral. Sex comes from chromosomes, and since God is spirit he does not have chromosomes. We call God “he” because that is how He revealed Himself in the Bible, but we say it with the recognition that God is not literally male.

“It” means something impersonal, like the Force from Star Wars, which is even further from the truth than “he/she.”

At this point, culturally, calling God “she” would increase the focus on gender, which again misses the point.

There is not a perfect pronoun for this situation, so we work within the limits of the language.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #32

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:58 am
nobspeople wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:15 am I always wondered why the Christian God is a 'he' and not a 'she' or even an 'it'. Granted, what's written about him indicates a 'he' but it's possible (IMO) that's due to the writer's and the male dominated culture at the time. In other words, the Christian god may, if exists, truly be an 'it', or gender neutral (or maybe even gender absent).
Within orthodox Christianity God is gender neutral. Sex comes from chromosomes, and since God is spirit he does not have chromosomes. We call God “he” because that is how He revealed Himself in the Bible, but we say it with the recognition that God is not literally male.

“It” means something impersonal, like the Force from Star Wars, which is even further from the truth than “he/she.”

At this point, culturally, calling God “she” would increase the focus on gender, which again misses the point.

There is not a perfect pronoun for this situation, so we work within the limits of the language.
Is this your opinion, or something taught and or understood across the board?
I ask because no Christian I know (which are many) would say or agree with this. Factually, all teachings I've been taught, by elders and or church leaders (priests, ministers, pastors, et al) insist God is male, not gender neutral or sans gender.

I created a thread for this issue so as not to dilute this thread with an offshoot.

bjs1
Sage

Post #33

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:11 pm

I ask because no Christian I know (which are many) would say or agree with this. Factually, all teachings I've been taught, by elders and or church leaders (priests, ministers, pastors, et al) insist God is male, not gender neutral or sans gender.

I created a thread for this issue so as not to dilute this thread with an offshoot.
It’s not an essential doctrine or anything like that, but it is an extremely widespread belief. Every denomination of which I am aware that has a stance on this issue agrees that both men and women are made in God’s image and as such God is not “male” as opposed to “female.”

I would encourage you to go back and ask these priests, ministers, pastors, et al if God is a chromosomal male.

In my experience the only Christians who think that God is male in that sense are children and those who have never bothered to think about the topic.
-Charles Darwin

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:02 pm

It’s not an essential doctrine or anything like that, but it is an extremely widespread belief. Every denomination of which I am aware that has a stance on this issue agrees that both men and women are made in God’s image and as such God is not “male” as opposed to “female.”

I would encourage you to go back and ask these priests, ministers, pastors, et al if God is a chromosomal male.

In my experience the only Christians who think that God is male in that sense are children and those who have never bothered to think about the topic.
I did, back in the day. It seems, for most of them (that I remember, anyway), it's simply: "The bible says HE so he's a HE" or something to that effect.
For me, it seemed odd that God would have a gender at all.

But it also seemed odd that God would send a son. Why not a daughter? Seems if many of the people back then, as the bible says, didn't seem to think Jesus much more than a regular guy, surely they wouldn't see any female as worthy of anything other than birthing babies and the like.
Oddly enough, there's little to no talk that I recall about the Holy Spirit being any gender (I guess ghosts can be gender neutral but god's can't?).

But to me, that's the whole problem with God being male or female - Jesus, too. Seems the writers were so entrenched in their male dominated society, they created a deity that's male, be it God or Jesus. Probably to further carry the concept of the divine they wanted to promote.

William
Savant

Post #35

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm

I did, back in the day. It seems, for most of them (that I remember, anyway), it's simply: "The bible says HE so he's a HE" or something to that effect.

But it also seemed odd that God would send a son. Why not a daughter? Seems if many of the people back then, as the bible says, didn't seem to think Jesus much more than a regular guy, surely they wouldn't see any female as worthy of anything other than birthing babies and the like.
Oddly enough, there's little to no talk that I recall about the Holy Spirit being any gender (I guess ghosts can be gender neutral but god's can't?).

But to me, that's the whole problem with God being male or female - Jesus, too. Seems the writers were so entrenched in their male dominated society, they created a deity that's male, be it God or Jesus. Probably to further carry the concept of the divine they wanted to promote.
Why Does God Have a Gender?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #36

Post by nobspeople »

William wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:45 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Why Does God Have a Gender?
Seems logical and I'd agree. However, some have pointed out that, if every word of the bible is true (particularly phrases that seem to be quoted which is debatable at the very least) there are gender related words used. To me, that means something: either the quote is true and we should see the quotes as exact and act accordingly, or, the quote is not true and we should see the quotes as what the author meant, not what the quoted individual said or meant, which brings into
It opens a whole can o' worms IMO.

bjs1
Sage

Post #37

Post by bjs1 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 am However, some have pointed out that, if every word of the bible is true (particularly phrases that seem to be quoted which is debatable at the very least) there are gender related words used.
Words can be true without being literal. Simile, metaphor, synecdoche, hyperbole, personification, and onomatopoeia are all forms of non-literal language found in the Bible. Notably, the Bible has many psalms and vision that are not meant to be taken literally.
-Charles Darwin

William
Savant

Post #38

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 08, 2021 9:20 am
Why is God deified?
It's a simply question; does it have a simply answer?
It appears to be a simple question but I do not think it is.
What about this thing creates the desire for people to deify it?

What about this thing is worthy of being deified?
What thing?
Why do you answer the way you answer?
Because the question did not define "God".

Having said as much, of course I might be splitting hairs by not simply assuming "God" refers to "The Christian idea of a Creator" but surely even then, I am stuck because there are quite a few Christian ideas of a Creator - rather than just the one, and these ideas are not all aligned and agreed upon. I am not even positive that all Christians name their idea of The Creator "God" although most seem to do so.

That is what makes answering your question so darn difficult to provide a simple answer.

If I simply took "God" to mean "The Name of The Creator" then one has to wonder why a name would be deified, if to deify something is to "worship or regard as a god" [as one particular dictionary tells it.]

Why would one "worship or regard as a god", the name "God"?

Well then, "What is a god?"
(in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.
(in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshipped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity.
In that, we see that 'God" - to Christians and other monotheistic religions - is the name of their Creator and ruler of the universe...

while also is a superhuman being or spirit worshipped, which also many Christians think of their God, God.

So in that one could surmise that in trying to get to the bottom of this 'simple question' we would have to enter that rabbit hole...or perhaps even jump into the bottomless pit...

My own theory is that this universe we are currently experiencing is the result of some being asking that apparently simple question - and in that, I also think that the existence of our universe [and us being within it] came about through a variety of other universes first having to be created...

All in all, perhaps the answer to the question "Why is God deified?" is simple. "Because God is a Deity." Which is to say, God is not deified. God is recognized as a Deity.

But then I swing away from what "deify" means. Unless 'recognized" and "regarded" mean the same thing.

In every instance there are no deities which can be said to actually exist as visible entities, so they exist within the minds of humans beings.

Thus they are images in human minds.

When we look at what can be observed [the portion of the universe we can see] and then attach to that, the notion of a superhuman being or spirit which created said universe, there are likely no end to what we might project within our minds and out into the world re images of said being. It becomes the giant Celestial Being - in the form of the whole Universe itself...but then most Christians appear to think of The Creator [God] as existing outside the Universe, so this Giant Being then becomes an image of a human on a throne and the throne itself is bigger than the Universe...{are we there yet? No we are not!}

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #39

Post by nobspeople »

bjs1 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:01 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:47 am However, some have pointed out that, if every word of the bible is true (particularly phrases that seem to be quoted which is debatable at the very least) there are gender related words used.
Words can be true without being literal. Simile, metaphor, synecdoche, hyperbole, personification, and onomatopoeia are all forms of non-literal language found in the Bible. Notably, the Bible has many psalms and vision that are not meant to be taken literally.
Agreed. However, IMO, if God wanted something to be known to be true, it would be said as true, with no room for ambiguity. Finding when that's the case and when it's not is, as we all have seen, difficult to agree with entirely.
And, to me (and others) that's a major issue: when is something 100% true and when is it not.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #40

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #39]
It appears to be a simple question but I do not think it is.
You're right. It's not, but it should be, IF there's one, true god.
What thing?
'Thing' used as a catch-all for God or creator, as it seems there's not a consensus here on what to call him or it.
In every instance there are no deities which can be said to actually exist as visible entities, so they exist within the minds of humans beings.
THIS!! :approve: