Forgiveness

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Forgiveness

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

Question for debate: Is the sort of forgiveness preached by Jesus practical?
Sub-question: Does forgive, as Jesus preached it, mean no consequences for the offender?

Some apologists will say, yes, Jesus said forgive, but he didn't say forget. So essentially you're still entitled to hold a grudge. You can do everything a grudge-holder would do as long as you don't resent the person in your heart.

Background:
I come from an alcoholic family, and the strong desire for them to drink has led most of them to steal quite a lot of my stuff. Half of them are thieves and boozehounds and the other half are enablers and apologists for them. Most of them are believers in the frankly cultish version of sort-of-Christian monotheism preached in Alcoholics Anonymous.
This is how I came to decide that even though most Christians are good people, I didn't like Christianity. One of my unrepentant alcoholic family members stole my most prized possession and sold it, then refused to do anything whatsoever to make it up to me. My family took me to a Christian minister who said I just had to forgive it with no strings attached and at that point I moved away and cut ties.
Jehovah's Witnesses earned major points with me because they proscribe disfellowship for such awful behaviour. Someone who is an unrepentant thief and drunk is kicked out of the community. I don't consider them as bad as other Christians because even though they will probably say you should forgive the thief, you just disfellowship them anyway, in practice they are willing to give consequences to bad behaviour, which is my whole problem with Christians precisely because of the whole forgiveness motif.

To me, forgiveness means you do not get to give consequences. I hate to argue definitions but in this instance this is the definition.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/forgive
forgive

Definition of forgive

transitive verb
1 : to cease to feel resentment against (an offender) : pardon forgive one's enemies
2a : to give up resentment of or claim to requital (see requital sense 1) for forgive an insult
b : to grant relief from payment of forgive a debt

excuse, condone, pardon, forgive mean to exact neither punishment nor redress. excuse may refer to specific acts especially in social or conventional situations or the person responsible for these. excuse an interruption excused them for interrupting Often the term implies extenuating circumstances. injustice excuses strong responses condone implies that one overlooks without censure behavior (such as dishonesty or violence) that involves a serious breach of a moral, ethical, or legal code, and the term may refer to the behavior or to the agent responsible for it. a society that condones alcohol but not narcotics pardon implies that one remits a penalty due for an admitted or established offense. pardon a criminal forgive implies that one gives up all claim to requital and to resentment or vengeful feelings. could not forgive their rudeness
Emphasised relevant. I don't like to argue by the dictionary because it's fundamentally dishonest. Words are often imprecise instruments and there's not always a particular word that's perfect for what someone wants to say. This is where definitional argument usually comes in: Someone picked the wrong word, or even described what they were referencing the best they could with a similar word when no precise one was available, so their point is invalid. Furthermore I don't think our dictionary is a good reference for what someone who lived 2000 years ago and spoke a different language actually meant by what he said. The only reason I use the dictionary in this case is because this is the definition that has been used against me. This is what the word means not because the dictionary says so, but because the people who use the word actually use it so. I only add the dictionary reference to preclude anyone else from getting definitional and saying that I'm mistaken about the meaning of forgive, when I'm not.

Some Christians seem to agree that forgive means no consequences, while some don't. The Bible seems to support that it means no consequences when Jesus told the tale of the unforgiving servant and it details that forgive a debt means do not collect that debt. I'm not extending that beyond the logical implication when I expect that this also means that forgive a thief means do not expect repayment or punishment.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Forgiveness

Post #2

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #1]
Question for debate: Is the sort of forgiveness preached by Jesus practical?
Some people seem to be able to forgive like that. At least that's their claim. I often wonder if they're being honest or not. But I often wonder how honest people are with what they say, no matter what it's about. People lie. People say things to 'sound' better or like they're following the crowd. I doubt most times, these claims are 100% honest.
Sub-question: Does forgive, as Jesus preached it, mean no consequences for the offender?
I'm not someone who practices 'forgive and forget'. Forgiveness is, oft, hard to do. But I don't think we should ever forget or let someone 'off the hook' as they say, on certain things.
I also believe that harsh punishments should accompany repeat and or violent offenses. Many times, my POV doesn't 'fit the crime' to some people. But to those people who commit said acts, they should be very, very lucky I'm not in charge of dealing out their punishments.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:03 am Question for debate: Is the sort of forgiveness preached by Jesus practical?
I wouldn’t say it is practical. I think it is just good and nice to give a new chance. At least I would like to have a new chance, if I would have done wrongly, which is why I like this:

"Don't judge, so that you won't be judged. For with whatever judgment you judge, you will be judged; and with whatever measure you measure, it will be measured to you."
Mat. 7:1-2

But, is it necessary, if the other person doesn’t regret and ask forgiveness? If person doesn’t regret I think it is ok to avoid that person, because he has shown to be unrighteous and potentially harmful. In this case I think forgiveness is not useful, because person still continues in wrong path. Forgiveness is like giving a new start, if person continues in the old path, it really doesn’t make any change and is not useful. But still, I would try to avoid giving judgments in a way that I would not like to have myself.

If person really regrets, he is sorry, and wants to compensate what he has done wrongly and don’t want to do it again. That I have understood means person is righteous. And as the Bible tells, eternal life is for righteous (Mat. 25:46). In that case I think the forgiveness is useful, because there is change for better.

In this case I think it would be good to notice that when Jesus forgave, he also said:

She said, "No one, Lord." Jesus said, "Neither do I condemn you. Go your way. From now on, sin no more."
John 8:11

I think it is sad that “Christians” seem to forget that last part, they take only the forgiveness part, without idea of repenting and rejecting wrong ways. Forgiveness doesn’t mean that then everything bad is good and acceptable and it does not matter anymore what kind of person one is. Eternal life is promised for righteous, and there must happen change in person to be righteous, if he is not already. Without it, forgiveness is not really useful.

…unless you repent, you will all perish…
Luke 13:3

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Biblically, the basis of forgivenes is repentance.

There is no reason to forgive someone who is not sorry for what they have done. Even if they are sorry, that does not mean they are not to face the consequences if their actions. Indeed a sign of true repentance is being willing to accept and pay for what you have done.

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:03 am Some Christians seem to agree that forgive means no consequences, while some don't.
It is something of a minefield. We are told we are all sinners and deserve to be punished in hell. But then we are told that we have been forgiven by the sacrifice of Jesus taking the sins of the world on himself. To me that only works if Jesus takes our place and spends eternity in hell. Maybe that's why he hasn't returned, and never will. No doubt there are loopholes and small print that I have overlooked. Just choose the option that suits your expectations and lifestyle the best. I think it's all just smoke and mirrors.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm ...But then we are told that we have been forgiven by the sacrifice of Jesus taking the sins of the world on himself. To me that only works if Jesus takes our place and spends eternity in hell...
In that case I think you have misunderstood what it means when Jesus “sacrificed his life”. Jesus sacrificed his life similarly as soldier can sacrifice his life for his country. Jesus could have lived for himself and have a splendid life, but instead of that, he served people, used his life for our benefit. In that way he sacrificed his life for us.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #7

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:13 am
brunumb wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:42 pm ...But then we are told that we have been forgiven by the sacrifice of Jesus taking the sins of the world on himself. To me that only works if Jesus takes our place and spends eternity in hell...
In that case I think you have misunderstood what it means when Jesus “sacrificed his life”. Jesus sacrificed his life similarly as soldier can sacrifice his life for his country. Jesus could have lived for himself and have a splendid life, but instead of that, he served people, used his life for our benefit. In that way he sacrificed his life for us.
The life of Jesus was different than the life of everyone else. He is, as some say (though some disagree) God. As such, he was little to loose in this life. He was tempted, the bible says, but he is infallible and thus, incapable of sinning - a futile effort that was nothing more than something to meet the prophecy and sound good. So he had to 'skin in the game' as they say.
His 'sacrifice' was degrading himself to live along the losers of earth, if he is indeed, some part of all, God. He had zero chance of sinning if he was indeed God of some matter.
So there's really no sacrifice other than him coming to live among the commoners. That's not much of a sacrifice, especially when he was guaranteed to get back to Heaven in my eyes.
I don't see him doing anything for me specifically. Or you. Or the guy over there or the woman at the market you say the other day.

It's not as much of a sacrifice as it was a small inconvenience for him. Again, this assumes he's God or part God. If he's not God or part God and not perfect or immortal, he's nothing more than an interesting person that did some interesting stuff, but no more or less than others throughout history have been claimed to do.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

brunumb
Savant

Post #8

Post by brunumb »

That soldier warrants far more respect than Jesus. He wasn't playing games. He didn't give his life with the certainty of coming back a few hours later good as new. Jesus did nothing for us, unless of course he is genuinely paying the price for our sins by spending eternity in hell.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

Forgiveness isn't as much about the other person as it is about us. If we choose to NOT forgive someone, that means we will be harbouring anger, resentment, bitterness, animosity. Those things are poison to the soul. In fact, as someone put it, refusing to forgive someone is like drinking a cup of poison, hoping the other person will die. It hurts us more than it does them.

If we refuse to forgive someone, we are giving power over us to them. They are able to negatively influence our emotions and our thoughts. They can keep us unhappy forever. Why would we let people do that to us? Why would we let someone who may not even be part of our lives any more have that control over us?

Biblically-speaking, we are to choose to forgive someone. It's a mental decision. However, the actual act of forgiveness is a process. When we choose to forgive someone, we won't automatically lose all the emotions that go with it. It is something we work at with the Holy Spirit to give ourselves freedom from the ways that unforgiveness hurts us and to allow the Lord to heal us from the damage done.

Some people think that, if we forgive people, we are letting them off the hook. We aren't. God will deal with them in his way and his way is the right and best way. The person we're letting off the hook is ourselves as we let ourselves off the hook of pain, hurt, bitterness, etc. So we forgive whether that person ever acknowledges the wrong he/she did us or apologizes to us.

Nor does forgiveness necessarily mean bringing that person back into our lives. Sometimes the people involved are family members or co-workers who we can't distance ourselves from. Sometimes forgiveness involves reconciliation and starting afresh with someone.

But with others, we can forgive them and never have anything to do with them again. Forgiveness doesn't demand that we carry on a relationship with someone who hurt us because, quite frankly, that person could still be the same hurtful person and why invite a viper back into your arms to bite you again?

I actually just started a study on the topic of forgiveness so it has been much on my mind of late. It is indeed a worthy subject for discussion because, quite frankly, there's no way to get through life without being hurt by someone at some point in time and we need to learn how to deal with it for our own well-being. Thank you for starting this thread, Purple Knight.

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #10

Post by Purple Knight »

If Heaven is better where's the sacrifice?

I'm always charitable to the other side so let me fill this in as best I possible can, and it has something to do with this life and its experiences being unique, as in, you don't get another chance. So people are up in Heaven, perhaps saying, oh, how I treasure this memory or that one, and I wish I had some more. Okay, being charitable, very charitable, there's some sacrifice there, but if someone takes away my twinkie (I really, really hate twinkies) and gives me a symphony chocolate bar, I don't spend the rest of my life wishing I'd had the experience of having eaten that twinkie. Maybe in Heaven it's different but even so I don't see myself having the gall to call that a sacrifice.