What would it take for you?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

What would it take for you?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Recently started watching a Netflix documentary about Mormonism and how (at least up to this point) the church seemed to be going to any and all means to stop documentation from getting out that, they think, would totally uproot their belief system (though I haven't finished it yet).

So, what would it take, for you, to disavow your religion and religious belief?
Documentation from writers of that time period?
Documentation from current high up leaders?
Testimony of how it's a farce from those who spent the majority of their lives in it, finally seeing their own light?
Science?
Data?
Another, more believable religion?

For those of us who are in the 'been-there-done-that-bought-the-t-shirt' crowd, what was it that caused you to change?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: What would it take for you?

Post #111

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:07 amNote the phrase, "and hurries back to where it rises." The verse is a complete package that indicates the belief that the Sun moves around the earth. Nowhere have I accused NASA of this mistake.
Yes, the verse states, when read very, very literally, that the sun moves. So do we. So does NASA. I don't know why you would excuse "rise" and not "hurry" because they both indicate movement.

Maybe there are Bible verses that disagree with science. Some certainly require much more leeway with the whole it's-not-literal mantra than that one does. Making Adam from a lump of clay comes to mind. Can you interpret it so it's true? Sure. Cells, lipids bubbling in the ocean muck... sort of... malleable muck. Clay. Fine. But it's a bigger stretch than just asking you not to take literally something we all say non-literally every day which is that the sun moves.

Tcg
Savant

Re: What would it take for you?

Post #112

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 12:33 am But it's a bigger stretch than just asking you not to take literally something we all say non-literally every day which is that the sun moves.
I've never met a single person who says the sun moves (around the earth.) Perhaps your experience is different.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom