Disposition toward error

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

historia
Prodigy

Disposition toward error

Post #1

Post by historia »

In general, which is worse: (a) to believe in something that turns out to be false, or (b) to not believe in something that turns out to be true?

Goose
Guru

Re: Disposition toward error

Post #11

Post by Goose »

historia wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:52 am In general, which is worse: (a) to believe in something that turns out to be false, or (b) to not believe in something that turns out to be true?
Interesting question. As the question stands I would say neither is worse. Both cases of (a) or (b) yield the same result, one discovers one holds a mistaken belief.
Things atheists say:

"Is it the case [that torturing and killing babies for fun is immoral]? Prove it." - Bust Nak

"For the record...I think the Gospels are intentional fiction and Jesus wasn't a real guy." – Difflugia

"Julius Caesar and Jesus both didn't exist." - brunumb

"...most atheists have no arguments or evidence to disprove God." – unknown soldier (a.k.a. the banned member Jagella)

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Re: Disposition toward error

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I'd say the latter, every time. The advantage being that not to have invested belief means that, once the validation is there, you can accept it.

The former risks investing belief in something to such an extent that, if evidence turned up later that it is a false belief, one is tempted to reject the evidence and cling to the belief.

We have all heard the apologetics: 'Science has gotten things wrong before'. 'You can't be 100% certain' or 'I'd rather believe a lie and be happy than not believe it and be miserable'.