What is the worst form of discrimination?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

aapatil@cox.net

What is the worst form of discrimination?

Post #1

Post by aapatil@cox.net »

Topic for debate: What is the worst form of discrimination?

Discrimination is to treat others unjustly. Discrimination frequently occurs based on age, sex, looks, greed, height, hate, jealousy, pride, religion, political affiliation, and personality. The worst and most ruthless form of discrimination is by mothers against their own unborn innocent babies through abortion, which has killed 1.5 billion, including 47% of black babies after it was legalized. Unfortunately, those who promote and support this genocide also claim to care for the poor and marginalized. If their compassion is true, how can they commit such blatant discrimination and totally disregard the most helpless and innocent babies? Their failure to recognize and protect the most helpless shows their total blindness to the Truth. To see the Truth
we must open our heart to God’s love within us. Because, then we will see the Spirit of God in every human life, and respect and honor them,

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Re: What is the worst form of discrimination?

Post #2

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

aapatil@cox.net wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:20 pm Discrimination is to treat others unjustly.
That's one kind of discrimination. Generally, discrimination involves seeing things or people as different and acting toward them based on those perceived differences.
Discrimination frequently occurs based on age, sex, looks, greed, height, hate, jealousy, pride, religion, political affiliation, and personality.

I would add sexual orientation and disability to that list.
The worst and most ruthless form of discrimination is by mothers against their own unborn innocent babies through abortion, which has killed 1.5 billion, including 47% of black babies after it was legalized.
Do you believe that women who have abortions should be charged with murder?
Unfortunately, those who promote and support this genocide also claim to care for the poor and marginalized.
Yes, and those who oppose abortion often favor the death penalty and may oppose government programs to help feed, house, and provide medical care for the kids who are already born.
If their compassion is true, how can they commit such blatant discrimination and totally disregard the most helpless and innocent babies?

I understand that some women who seek abortions are desperately trying to avoid the financial, emotional and social costs of giving birth to a baby they might not be able to care for. We can greatly reduce the incidence of unwanted pregnancies via contraception. Do you favor birth control?
Their failure to recognize and protect the most helpless shows their total blindness to the Truth. To see the Truth
we must open our heart to God’s love within us. Because, then we will see the Spirit of God in every human life, and respect and honor them,
I agree that a society that respects and honors human life can be a big factor in reducing the number of abortions. So those Christians and anybody else who opposes abortions should love, care for, and nurture those of us who are already born. I think that women facing motherhood will be more likely to bear their children if they can be sure those kids will grow up in a good society.

otseng
Savant

Post #3

Post by otseng »

Moderator Action

I've modified the OP to include the question for debate.

Please review the Tips on starting a debate topic. In particular:

7. Have a clear question for debate in the opening post.

If there is no question for debate, it will be moved to RR. If the thread title contains the question, reiterate the question in the post.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

aapatil@cox.net wrote: Sun Mar 14, 2021 3:20 pm Topic for debate: What is the worst form of discrimination?
I think that ableism is easily the worst kind of discrimination. The disabled very often live in social isolation and in poverty. They may find that living anything resembling a normal life to be difficult or impossible. In many cases they are barred from houses or other buildings that are not ramped or that have narrow doorways or other obstacles. They often must live in crime-ridden neighborhoods or worse yet, abusive nursing homes. They are much more likely than those who are not disabled to be victims of crime.

And all of this is denied or ignored.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to aapatil@cox.net in post #1]

Here's a candidate:
Prejudice against Atheists. An implicit bias we ignore too often?

Will Gervais, a Social Psychologist whose expertise is in prejudice against atheists, ran a series of experiments where he investigated expressions of prejudice against non-believers and how religion plays a role in this phenomenon. He found that even in secular nations, prejudice against atheists was rampant. In a study ran in 2017, Gervais found that the amount of prejudice directed toward certain sub-facets of society was highest in three groups; Muslims, African Americans and Atheists. In another study he found that atheists where the most likely subgroup to be stereotyped as murderers, even by other atheists. The University of Minnesota ran a poll run in 2003 investigating atheists’ relationship with the American people. When asked who was least likely to share their vision of American society, citizens identified Atheists more frequently than Muslims, recent immigrants or homosexuals. They also found that people were more likely to disapprove of their child hypothetically marrying an atheist than any other of the aforementioned groups.

<bolding mine>

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:35 pm [Replying to aapatil@cox.net in post #1]

Here's a candidate:

Will Gervais, a Social Psychologist whose expertise is in prejudice against atheists, ran a series of experiments where he investigated expressions of prejudice against non-believers and how religion plays a role in this phenomenon. He found that even in secular nations, prejudice against atheists was rampant. In a study ran in 2017, Gervais found that the amount of prejudice directed toward certain sub-facets of society was highest in three groups; Muslims, African Americans and Atheists. In another study he found that atheists where the most likely subgroup to be stereotyped as murderers, even by other atheists. The University of Minnesota ran a poll run in 2003 investigating atheists’ relationship with the American people. When asked who was least likely to share their vision of American society, citizens identified Atheists more frequently than Muslims, recent immigrants or homosexuals. They also found that people were more likely to disapprove of their child hypothetically marrying an atheist than any other of the aforementioned groups.
While I agree that anybody, including atheists, can suffer discrimination from Christians or other religious people, I have been mistreated by atheists as a result of their knowing I was a Christian. So the problem of discrimination works both ways.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:58 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:35 pm [Replying to aapatil@cox.net in post #1]

Here's a candidate:

While I agree that anybody, including atheists, can suffer discrimination from Christians or other religious people, I have been mistreated by atheists as a result of their knowing I was a Christian. So the problem of discrimination works both ways.
The question here is the worst form of discrimination, not occasional discrimination. As I have documented, the worst form is against atheists. Given that you are not an atheist, your experience is irrelevant.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Overcomer
Guru

Post #8

Post by Overcomer »

From the article on prejudice against atheists:
In another study he found that atheists where the most likely subgroup to be stereotyped as murderers, even by other atheists.
That's a fascinating statement. I wish the author had unpacked that. I would love to know the reasoning behind it.

Overcomer
Guru

Post #9

Post by Overcomer »

aapatil wrote:
Because, then we will see the Spirit of God in every human life, and respect and honor them,
The Christian counts every life, born or unborn, as important because we are all made in the image of God. Our value rests in him and it means that all are equal. Worth doesn't depend on one's intelligence, for example, meaning that the person with Downs Syndrome has as much value as the person who does not. Yet we see people abort babies with Downs Syndrome all the time because they are viewed as defective and, concomitantly, of no value.

The question is: In what does the atheist ground human dignity? Or do they believe that not all humans have it? If not, why not? What criteria are they using to make an assessment re: the value of a human being?

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Tcg wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:03 pmThe question here is the worst form of discrimination, not occasional discrimination. As I have documented, the worst form is against atheists. Given that you are not an atheist, your experience is irrelevant.
So you assert that since I'm not an atheist, then you can dismiss what I say as irrelevant. I've always been amazed at your logic, Tcg.

Anyway, I think I have this whole issue resolved. The worst kind of discrimination is the kind of discrimination you think you're victimized by.