Why does God have a gender?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why does God have a gender?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

The bible speaks of God as a 'he' or 'him'.
Is it possible that's not true? Is it possible God is an 'it' more than a 'he' or even a 'she'?

If God is not a 'he', would that change how you think of 'him'?
Would it change anything about 'his' story?

I've seen some believers see this concept as offensive. Are you one of those people that are offended if God is spoken about as a 'it' or 'she'?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Tcg
Savant

Re: Why does God have a gender?

Post #251

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 am
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 am In what way did this "miracle" involve the biological and how could that biological component be considered of God given that you've already testified that God isn't biological?

Tcg
I don't believe God is biological, that is not to say I don't believe God cannot create or manipulate the biological.

For example according to the bible God both invented dust and manipulated it to create a biological human male (Adam). My personal, faith based belief is that God created and manipulated the physical cells that went on to grow into the human baby Jesus.

JW
This doesn't resolve the problem I've addressed. If God is not biological, he himself would not possess physical cells. Therefore, even if he did manipulates them, as your faith based belief rather than verifiable evidence leads you to conclude, Jesus couldn't be God's son because the physical cells God monkeyed with wouldn't be God. Jesus would simply be some biology experiment external to and separate from God.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #252

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:02 am
Miles wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 6:34 pm [GOD] not Joseph, got Mary pregnant....So god was far more than a metaphorical father. He was an actual father.
A metaphor is still a metaphor even if it is literally true in some aspect.
Nope. by definition a metaphor is never literally true in some way.

"A metaphor is a figure of speech that describes an object or action in a way that isn’t literally true, but helps explain an idea or make a comparison."
source

And, a literal truth is still a literal truth even if it is occasionally used as a metaphor.

A father is a MALE parent. Biblically, while God was is quite literally Jesus parent and lifegiver he is not male (or female) nor is he biological as are human fathers.
Yup, quite literally his father, just like the bible says.

Ephesians 1:3
Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who hath blessed us with all spiritual blessings in heavenly places in Christ:

father
[ fah-ther ]
1 a male parent.
2 a father-in-law, stepfather, or adoptive father.
3 any male ancestor, especially the founder of a family or line; progenitor.
Source: dictionary.com

father noun
fa·​ther | \ ˈfä-t͟hər
plural fathers
Definition of father

1a(1) : a male parent
(2) : a man who has begotten a child also : a male animal who has sired an offspring
source: Merriam Webster

father noun
/ˈfɑːðə(r)/
/ˈfɑːðər/

a male parent of a child or an animal; a person who is acting as the father to a child
source: Oxford Dictionary

So show us the Bible verse that says god is not male (or female). If it ain't in the Bible then we can only conclude the JWs made it up.

AND, I'm still waiting for your answers to "1 Who says spirits are not gender bound, bibically or otherwise, and 2 where have they said it? "

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #253

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:00 amIf God is not biological, he himself would not possess physical cells.
I dont believe God possess physical cells I believe he can create physical cells (out of "nothing" )
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:00 am...Jesus couldn't be God's son because the physical cells God monkeyed with wouldn't be God.
I don't understand your point. Are you suggesting an omnipotent God could not create something out of nothing or that he could not manipulate what he creates?
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 am In what way did this "miracle" involve the biological ...?
I believe God CREATED the biological.
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 am ... how could that biological component be considered of God ....?

I do not consider any created biological component be God. If by "of God" you mean "coming from God" originating from or existing because of God... see above

Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:41 am ... given that you've already testified that God isn't biological?
I shared my belief that God isnt biological. His being non biological does not in my opinion negate his ability to create the biological if that be his will.
Tcg wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:00 am Jesus would simply be some biology experiment external to and separate from God
...who owed his existence to God; it is in this sense the Jehovahs Witness belief system refers to Jesus as "God's son".

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:54 am, edited 10 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

brunumb
Savant

Post #254

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 am My personal, faith based belief is that God created and manipulated the physical cells that went on to grow into the human baby Jesus.
You may believe your statement is true, people believe all kinds of things, but can you prove it so?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #255

brunumb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:44 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:52 am My personal, faith based belief is that God created and manipulated the physical cells that went on to grow into the human baby Jesus.
You may believe your statement is true, people believe all kinds of things, but can you prove it so?
No I cannot, that is why I said it was {quote} "faith based belief" rather than a provable fact. Is that problematic for you?

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

brunumb
Savant

Post #256

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:47 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:44 am
No I cannot, that is why I said it was {quote} "faith based belief" rather than a provable fact. Is that problematic for you?
Yep. Why should anyone care two hoots about what extraordinary things you believe if they are not demonstrably true? And, if they are not demonstrably true, why present them as relevant in a debate?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #257

brunumb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:52 am Why should anyone care two hoots about what extraordinary things you believe if they are not demonstrably true?
I dont know, you'll have to ask all the people asking me about them.

I try to only mention things if they relevant to the OP or in direct response to a post in the thread. In this case the OP was asking about the God of the bible. So I'm sharing my views as one of Jehovah's Witnesses on the God if the bible. I cannot control whether people care about what I write or not.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #258

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:55 am
brunumb wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:52 am Why should anyone care two hoots about what extraordinary things you believe if they are not demonstrably true?
I dont know, you'll have to ask all the people asking me about them.

I try to only mention things if they relevant to the OP or in direct response to a post in the thread. In this case the OP was asking about the God of the bible. So I'm sharing my views as one of Jehovah's Witnesses on the God if the bible. I cannot control whether people care about what I write or not.
Is there an answer to the other question?
"if they are not demonstrably true, why present them as relevant in a debate?"
Have a great, potentially godless, day!