Reading for understanding. Should you?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Reading for understanding. Should you?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Many believers may say the bible is the only book they need. That may be debatable, however, should believers read other books about God, or things about God?

Take, for example, The God Equation: The Quest for a Theory of Everything
https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-385-54274-6

Some say these types of books challenge the faith of the faithful. But that's a good thing. If you're faith is strong, it should hold up to such readings.
If it's not, and it causes you to change your mind, that's great, too.

Should believers in God read such things?

EDIT: Accidentally posted an Amazon add link - changed it to a different, non-selling link
Last edited by nobspeople on Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Reading for understanding. Should you?

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:49 pm ...
And if you think he's reasonable, why should you NOT read his book?
Because I don’t believe there is anything useful.

And about modern scientists generally, in my experience they have fancy theories, but when one looks closer, there is no meaningful content that could be used for example in situation where someone asks logical proof or real evidence.

brunumb
Savant

Post #12

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 pm
Ah, the virtues of faith. Belief in the unseen. How can you possibly know that there is nothing useful if you haven't read the book? Close the eyes and close the mind. Or should that be the other way around?
1213 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 pm And about modern scientists generally, in my experience they have fancy theories, but when one looks closer, there is no meaningful content that could be used for example in situation where someone asks logical proof or real evidence.
That seems far more applicable to the Bible rather than scientists. If you look closely you can actually see the meaningful content of those fancy theories all around you.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 pm ...How can you possibly know that there is nothing useful if you haven't read the book? ...
If you have read the book, please tell one useful thing it has.

brunumb
Savant

Post #14

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:34 am
brunumb wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:26 pm ...How can you possibly know that there is nothing useful if you haven't read the book? ...
If you have read the book, please tell one useful thing it has.
Your diversionary tactic is noted. If you are unable to answer the question honestly then just say so, or don't bother replying.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Diagoras
Guru

Post #15

Post by Diagoras »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]
Should believers read other books <i.e. other than their bible> about God?
An intriguing question for debate, and perhaps one that’s not quite as simplistic as it might at first appear.

A theist might argue that the Bible is the definitive work on God and therefore any other book might be subject to error (not being divinely inspired). Setting aside for a moment the logical fallacy of circular reasoning involved, there’s the fact that not all bibles are exactly the same. So-called apocryphal books exist as canon in some Christian denominations but not in others. Therefore if a Christian seeks out a non-denominational text, is he or she reading ‘another’ book in this context?

Religions (as far as I know) generally have one ‘holy book’ from which their adherents can draw ‘all knowledge’ of their particular deity. But religions are unique in this regard. Any other field of knowledge doesn’t possess the luxury of having one definitive text for someone to read and then declare “I understand all of geology” (or whatever). A core principle of science is that it’s always open to revision in the light of new, more compelling evidence.

I would argue that the answer to the OP depends on whether the hypothetical reader wishes to either test or confirm their faith in their god. Asking themselves and answering that question honestly then determines whether they should read about god from a non-biblical source or not.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:55 pm
You don't know that without first looking into them.
And about modern scientists generally, in my experience they have fancy theories, but when one looks closer, there is no meaningful content that could be used for example in situation where someone asks logical proof or real evidence.
There's more to theories in science. Seeing only theories I find to be short sighted. Science does little to nothing with context, as that's highly individualized. But to each their own. I suspect you'd disregard your computer and the internet you're using in view of the 'context' then?

Savant

Post #17

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 am I suspect you'd disregard your computer and the internet you're using in view of the 'context' then?
I have no problem with real science, that can demonstrate that something works. And luckily it is not even always necessary to know why something works, if it just works. Like for example that things fall certain way, can be tested and seen, even if one doesn’t know what causes it.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #18

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 1:25 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 7:51 am I suspect you'd disregard your computer and the internet you're using in view of the 'context' then?
I have no problem with real science, that can demonstrate that something works. And luckily it is not even always necessary to know why something works, if it just works. Like for example that things fall certain way, can be tested and seen, even if one doesn’t know what causes it.
So you accept science that you, as someone who's not a scientist, understands OR science that works for you, not things you don't understand or challenge your belief?
That's fine if so, just want to verify I understand

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm So you accept science that you, as someone who's not a scientist, understands OR science that works for you, not things you don't understand or challenge your belief?...
I don’t accept as true fact scientific claims that can’t be proven/tested and seen that they really are true.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #20

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:21 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:02 pm So you accept science that you, as someone who's not a scientist, understands OR science that works for you, not things you don't understand or challenge your belief?...
I don’t accept as true fact scientific claims that can’t be proven/tested and seen that they really are true.
Can you give examples of such things?