Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Are atheists afraid of God?

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

In response to Stephen Hawking's quip, "Religion is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark," apologist John Lennox said, "And atheism is a fairy story for those afraid of the light."

Do atheists fear that light aka God? I would answer no assuming I knew atheists to be completely sensible and rational in their rejection of theism, but they very often aren't sensible and rational in their unbelief. In this forum, for example, an atheist said he lost his belief in God when he realized that there are different religions. When I tried to explain to him that those conflicting faiths can be explained as some of them getting a real God wrong, well, it did me no good! It's simply illogical to conclude that God doesn't exist because some people disagree about him. His atheism is obviously based on faulty logic. What's odd about these cases involving atheists using poor reasoning to reject God is that those atheists seem quite reasonable otherwise. My guess is that they fear God and wish that he doesn't exist. Atheism is for them a sanctuary from theism and a hope that reality harbors no scary God.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Are atheists afraid of God?

Post #291

Post by JoeyKnothead »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:28 pm ...
Not so clearly, since cicadas are also called 17 year locusts.
I hear ya. Here's a picture of a cat...

Cicada

Locust
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #292

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:28 pm The locust of Revelation 9 aren't after plants, they are after people (Rev 9:4).
Perhaps you overlooked this fact about cicadas:
Cicadas don’t sting, and they don’t bite. The strawlike appendage they have instead of a mouth works only for inserting into tree bark.
Nothing to be afraid of here.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #293

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 5:09 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:28 pm The locust of Revelation 9 aren't after plants, they are after people (Rev 9:4).
Cicadas don’t sting, and they don’t bite. The strawlike appendage they have instead of a mouth works only for inserting into tree bark.

Tcg
If they, supposedly locust, and not a representation of what is to come, can insert them selves into bark, they can surely penetrate your soft skin. An alternative representation could be the "venom spitting" viper/cobra helicopter, except that they have a tendency to kill, and not torment men for 5 months. If they should penetrate your skin, hopefully you could document the following consequences of these modified walking dead beasts, possibly conjured up in the Wuhan Chinese labs, or in the "abyss" of hell (Rev 9:11).

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #294

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:42 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 12:28 pm ...
Not so clearly, since cicadas are also called 17 year locusts.
I hear ya. Here's a picture of a cat...

Cicada

Locust
Here is a picture of a locust looking Huey helicopter, whose wings have the sound of "chariots" (Rev 9:9).
https://www.flyer.co.uk/wp-content/uplo ... 00x645.jpg

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #295

Post by JoeyKnothead »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:05 am If they, supposedly locust, and not a representation of what is to come, can insert them selves into bark, they can surely penetrate your soft skin. An alternative representation could be the "venom spitting" viper/cobra helicopter, except that they have a tendency to kill, and not torment men for 5 months. If they should penetrate your skin, hopefully you could document the following consequences of these modified walking dead beasts, possibly conjured up in the Wuhan Chinese labs, or in the "abyss" of hell (Rev 9:11).
:blink:
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #296

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:05 am

Tcg
If they, supposedly locust, and not a representation of what is to come, can insert them selves into bark, they can surely penetrate your soft skin.
As has already been pointed out, they are not locusts. Further, there'd be no reason for them to suck blood as it would probably kill them:
Do cicadas bite or sting?

Cicadas obtain sustenance by drinking tree fluids, which are relatively watery compared to human blood. Drinking human blood would probably kill a cicada.

https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/do- ... -or-sting/

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #297

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 5:04 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:05 am

Tcg
If they, supposedly locust, and not a representation of what is to come, can insert them selves into bark, they can surely penetrate your soft skin.
As has already been pointed out, they are not locusts. Further, there'd be no reason for them to suck blood as it would probably kill them:
Do cicadas bite or sting?

Cicadas obtain sustenance by drinking tree fluids, which are relatively watery compared to human blood. Drinking human blood would probably kill a cicada.

https://www.cicadamania.com/cicadas/do- ... -or-sting/

Tcg
The cicada, also known as the 17 year locust, die quickly anyway. If they think they can take you, an infidel, down, and that they can have 72 dates in heaven for their trouble, they are probably not afraid of death. The mosquito dies quickly, but they can cause death and disease in the mean time just by sticking in their blood straw. They don't have to drink your blood, all they have to do is take a sample and spit it out. These "locust" from the description in Revelation 9, are not your dime store variety. As they have tails like scorpions, their description lines up with US attack helicopters, except that a US helicopter is generally not in the business to let men live, unless they are spitting out chemicals instead of ordinance. Not to worry, for apparently no one is allowed to die. The punch line comes later when 1/3 of mankind is killed (Rev 9:18) by ordinance coming out "of their mouths" (Rev 9:18). Not to worry at that time, for the men still "did not repent of their murders....sorceries...immorality....nor of their thefts."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #298

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 297:
2ndpillar2 wrote: The cicada, also known as the 17 year locust, die quickly anyway. If they think they can take you, an infidel, down, and that they can have 72 dates in heaven for their trouble, they are probably not afraid of death.
Cicadas are Muslims?

Does that mean turnips are Jews?
2ndpillar2 wrote: The mosquito dies quickly, but they can cause death and disease in the mean time just by sticking in their blood straw.
"Quickly" is a subjective term, once folks done set to scratching.
2ndpillar2 wrote: They don't have to drink your blood, all they have to do is take a sample and spit it out. These "locust" from the description in Revelation 9, are not your dime store variety.
You're problem here is showing Revelation 9 has it right...

Without your incessant preaching and bible thumping.
2ndpillar2 wrote: As they have tails like scorpions, their description lines up with US attack helicopters, except that a US helicopter is generally not in the business to let men live, unless they are spitting out chemicals instead of ordinance.
I'm currently now, and have been me for a good while, under the care of licensed psyciatrical counselling.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Not to worry, for apparently no one is allowed to die. The punch line comes later when 1/3 of mankind is killed (Rev 9:18) by ordinance coming out "of their mouths" (Rev 9:18). Not to worry at that time, for the men still "did not repent of their murders....sorceries...immorality....nor of their thefts."
If I wanted me a sermon, I'd seek me out a preacher that can show they speak truth.

The liar lies, and the preacher preaches!
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #299

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 pm As they have tails like scorpions, their description lines up with US attack helicopters, except that a US helicopter is generally not in the business to let men live, unless they are spitting out chemicals instead of ordinance.
Another difference is that cicadas are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long. Attack helicopters are more like 50 feet long. That's a difference of about 598 inches. Oh, and helicopters don't hibernate at all much less for 17 years.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #300

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Tcg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:00 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 pm As they have tails like scorpions, their description lines up with US attack helicopters, except that a US helicopter is generally not in the business to let men live, unless they are spitting out chemicals instead of ordinance.
Another difference is that cicadas are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long. Attack helicopters are more like 50 feet long. That's a difference of about 598 inches. Oh, and helicopters don't hibernate at all much less for 17 years.

Tcg
I like me how ya did all that, and not never once had to point out how helicopters are not insects.
-Punkinhead Martin