Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Are atheists afraid of God?

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

In response to Stephen Hawking's quip, "Religion is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark," apologist John Lennox said, "And atheism is a fairy story for those afraid of the light."

Do atheists fear that light aka God? I would answer no assuming I knew atheists to be completely sensible and rational in their rejection of theism, but they very often aren't sensible and rational in their unbelief. In this forum, for example, an atheist said he lost his belief in God when he realized that there are different religions. When I tried to explain to him that those conflicting faiths can be explained as some of them getting a real God wrong, well, it did me no good! It's simply illogical to conclude that God doesn't exist because some people disagree about him. His atheism is obviously based on faulty logic. What's odd about these cases involving atheists using poor reasoning to reject God is that those atheists seem quite reasonable otherwise. My guess is that they fear God and wish that he doesn't exist. Atheism is for them a sanctuary from theism and a hope that reality harbors no scary God.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Are atheists afraid of God?

Post #271

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post Post 267:
2ndpillar2 wrote: Antifa, a compilation of many peoples, includes a huge portion of white millennium losers, as shown by those arrested in Portland and Seattle,
Of course, anyone who breaks the law is a "loser".

Would that more folks stood up against unjust laws.
2ndpillar2 wrote: and is not a "black" organization. They believe in violence against those they disagree with, which apparently includes the police.
They're protesting against police violence against particularly black folks, but more broadly against police violence against anyone.

Oh, and against fascism.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Like the fascist Nazis black shirts, they burn books and subvert debate.
I see it as subverting hateful acts and speech.
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for the judgments of God, those include Sodom and Gomorrah, the great flood, the many sackings of Jerusalem, all because of the corruptions of man.
I've yet to find me the first person who can show a god's exists to have the opinions they claim he does.

Maybe 2ndpillar2 will be the first to show they speak truth in this regard.

But I ain't holding me my breath.
2ndpillar2 wrote: The next "great tribulation" will include radiation fallout (Zechariah 14:12), the great earthquake, with the falling of the cities of the nations, islands sinking, and mountains flattened (Rev 16:18-19).
If only there was some means by which you could show you speak truth.

Let's call that means "producing confirmatory evidence in support of your claims".

In the absence thereof, let's call it "preaching".
2ndpillar2 wrote: When the cities "fall", the greatest threat to life will be anarchy, which is basically cities without policing of the mob. It will be much like what one sees in Seattle and Portland. Burning businesses and looting.
Let's not forget the events of 6 Jan 21, in the US Capital. Events which had the potential to bring down an entire nation, not just cities.
2ndpillar2 wrote: As for BLM, an organization started by 3 black homosexual women from California,
Helps us out here, with which of the following should we be most upset. Pick all that apply...

1. They're against fascism
2. They're against police brutality
3. They're black
4. They're homosexuals
5. They're women.
5. They're from California
2ndpillar2 wrote: they are professionally trained Marxist, whose view is to undermine family, religion, Capitalism, and order.
Families are being undermined because in the current capitalistic environment so many folks struggle to provide for their families.

Religion is undermined when folks set to making claims they can't show approach within light years of the truth.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Their starting point is to defund the police so they can run wild.
If, by "running wild" you mean "not getting arrested or shot for "living while black, I agree.
2ndpillar2" wrote: In general, the majority of blacks want more police not less, and the majority support religion, and family.
[/quote="2ndpillar"]
I propose then that we all work to help improve the lot/s of our black brothers and sisters, as opposed to just calling em homosexuals and stuff whenever we speak of em.
2ndpillar2 wrote: The demon possessed,
As relates to the religious notion, I challenge anyone
To show demons exist, much less to possess humans.

[quote"2ndpillar2"]
have no rest, see their end, and fight against the wind. Like the "Christians", who hang unto the false prophets of Mt 7:13-23, they will all meet their end (Zech 11:9) & (Rev 20:3), and eat each others flesh.
You can preach, or you can show you speak truth.

Let's see which one you decide to stick with.
2mdpillar2 wrote: What they believe or not, their end is coming.
If only weren't so many cops trying to speed up the process.
2ndpillar2 wrote: It is called the "end of the age", and the angels will gather the lawless and cast them into the furnace of fire (Mt 13:40-42).
Another bit of wishful thinking / preaching I challenge folks to try to show is truth.

I doubt 2ndpillar2 will be able to show his claim here is truth.

But let's see.

Liars lie, and preachers preach.

Regard the OP, "Are atheists afraid of God?"

Not when those who claim he's there - and he's upset about who knows what this time - are entire and utter failures when it comes to em showing they speak truth regarding such claims.

All I'm getting from this thread is there's at least one person who can't comprehend the atheist doesn't fear what the theist can't show to be truth.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #272

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am As for gods, you are your own god, and of course, like the gods before you, like Caesar, you will die, but with case of Caesar, his demon spirit in the form of dictators and Czars/Kaisers/Fuhrers, lives on.
This doesn't even come close to representing my position. I lack belief in god/gods, all of them. I am certainly not foolish enough to think I am a god. Demon spirit? Not buying that one either.
You are looking at economic, political, and natural turmoil,
It seems that you are the one doing so.
...and won't know what hits you when it all falls from the sky. On the other hand, those prepared, are told to simply shut their doors, and let the turmoil pass them by (Is 26:20). When events over take you, you will not even be able to kill yourself (Rev 9:6).
As I stated previously, this would be quite scary if there were any reason to believe it has any basis in reality. There isn't and it isn't. Scare tactics based on totally unsupportable threats are not an effective means of debate.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #273

Post by William »

9. No unconstructive one-liners posts are allowed in debates.

Kindly refrain from making posts that contribute nothing to debate and/or simply express agreement / disagreement or make other frivolous remarks.

For complimenting or agreeing use the Thank button. For anything else use PM.

brunumb
Savant

Post #274

Post by brunumb »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am On the other hand, those prepared, are told to simply shut their doors, and let the turmoil pass them by (Is 26:20).
Let's see how that advice helps when the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions strike. Not a good track record so far.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

William
Savant

Post #275

Post by William »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 amMaybe you should look to science.

Snipped...[A whole bunch of non - science]
OK. Thank you.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #276

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Are atheists afraid of God?

Naw, they's fraid of the truth.

Fortunately, theists can't show they speak it.
-Punkinhead Martin

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #277

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 2:18 am Are atheists afraid of God?

Naw, they's fraid of the truth.

Fortunately, theists can't show they speak it.
They should be afraid of the coming judgment, which is the foremost part of the kingdom of God (the day of the LORD) (Joel 2 & 3) The Jews were told to repent around 2600 years ago or face plagues and destruction. They continued sacrificing babies to Baal, and faced plagues and the destruction by Babylon. New York, the center of the abortion industry, has suffered the twin towers, of which the Jewish community suffered 18% of the casualties, whereas they only represented around 3% of the NY population, gave 75% of their votes to the abortionist party. Some of the rich are fleeing to the country side, but when the judgment comes, that might not be enough. It will be like Lot and his wife. Lot's wife tarried, and was turned into stone. Just because someone has been warned, and have a place to go, it is no guarantee that they will survive. The atheists are their own gods, and determine right from wrong, and determine that they are more righteous than anyone else. As found out by Adam and Eve, determining on their own, right from wrong, ends in death (Genesis 3). Satan's message, the message of the serpent, was that they "surely shall not die". They as well as the serpent's false prophet, Paul, who said we shall not sleep/die, are all dead. Judgment day, the valley of judgment (Joel 3), is coming for the nations, and Jacob/Israel, will be chastised as well (Jeremiah 30:11).

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #278

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

brunumb wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 10:13 am On the other hand, those prepared, are told to simply shut their doors, and let the turmoil pass them by (Is 26:20).
Let's see how that advice helps when the earthquakes and volcanic eruptions strike. Not a good track record so far.
Those who don't take the advice of Yeshua, and flee from Zion and Jerusalem (Mt 24), will most likely not live. As for those in the cities who do not flee, they will probably not live either (Rev 16:18-19). As for the plague of one hundred pound hail dropping from heaven (Rev 16:21), those hail stones may represent multiple reentry capsules, which contain death and destruction. One best have an underground room to close the door on in that case. As per Rev 16:20, the earthquake seems to target mountains and islands to a certain degree. I would assume the mountain in this case could be Easter Island, which shows signs of sliding into the ocean, which will entail the east coast (Long Island) of the US being submerged under a tsunami. As for coming plagues, New York, the center of progressive abortionist, has suffered the greatest covid death rates to date. I would suspect that California is not far behind. Any room along the southern coast of California, might find itself under the ocean waves. The "big" California earthquake is already overdue by about 100 years. One should choose the location of their "room" very carefully. If you live in a progressive city, the clock is ticking, at least for those who haven't been burned out and moved already.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #279

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 277:
2ndpillar2 wrote: They should be afraid of the coming judgment, which is the foremost part of the kingdom of God
I challenge you to offer some means by which we may confirm you speak truth in this matter - beyond more preaching and bible thumping.

The liar lies, and the preacher preaches.
2ndpillar2 wrote: ...
New York, the center of the abortion industry, has suffered the twin towers, of which the Jewish community suffered 18% of the casualties, whereas they only represented around 3% of the NY population, gave 75% of their votes to the abortionist party.
I challenge you to show a god's judgement causing any of this.

Lot's wife tarried, and was turned into stone.
Please offer some means, beyond more preaching, or quoting the book that makes the claim, to confirm the following...

1. Lot existed
2. Lot was married
3. Lot's wife turned to stone
4. God exists
5. He judged Lot or Lot's wife
6. God turned Lot's wife to stone

The atheists are their own gods, and determine right from wrong, and determine that they are more righteous than anyone else.
Atheists don't believe in gods, so therefore can't consider themselves to be gods.

It could serve you well to remember that bit there.
As found out by Adam and Eve, determining on their own, right from wrong, ends in death (Genesis 3).
Please offer, beyond the preaching and the Bible thumping, some means to confirm the following...

7. Adam existed
8. Eve existed
9. They did em some finding out
10. They did em some determining
11. On their own
12. About right and wrong

I'll concede that current data suggests that life ends in death for a great many, most, or all living beings.
2ndpillar2 wrote: Satan's message, the message of the serpent, was that they "surely shall not die". They as well as the serpent's false prophet, Paul, who said we shall not sleep/die, are all dead. Judgment day, the valley of judgment (Joel 3), is coming for the nations, and Jacob/Israel, will be chastised as well (Jeremiah 30:11).
Extra bonus points if ya can put some truth to any of that - without the preaching and the Bible thumping.

-Punkinhead Martin

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #280

Post by TRANSPONDER »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 11:12 am
brunumb wrote: Fri May 07, 2021 8:11 pm
Those who don't take the advice of Yeshua, and flee from Zion and Jerusalem (Mt 24), will most likely not live. As for those in the cities who do not flee, they will probably not live either (Rev 16:18-19). As for the plague of one hundred pound hail dropping from heaven (Rev 16:21), those hail stones may represent multiple reentry capsules, which contain death and destruction. One best have an underground room to close the door on in that case. As per Rev 16:20, the earthquake seems to target mountains and islands to a certain degree. I would assume the mountain in this case could be Easter Island, which shows signs of sliding into the ocean, which will entail the east coast (Long Island) of the US being submerged under a tsunami. As for coming plagues, New York, the center of progressive abortionist, has suffered the greatest covid death rates to date. I would suspect that California is not far behind. Any room along the southern coast of California, might find itself under the ocean waves. The "big" California earthquake is already overdue by about 100 years. One should choose the location of their "room" very carefully. If you live in a progressive city, the clock is ticking, at least for those who haven't been burned out and moved already.
I hate to sound dismissive, but the average atheist will simply regard these as threats of divine retribution with no force whatsoever. When natural (or even man -made) disasters have hit, it is not evident that it hits only the wrongdoers or unbelievers, but takes out the Faithful as often as not.

Bottom line, Preaching and pulpit -thumping accomplishes nothing at all.