Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Are atheists afraid of God?

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

In response to Stephen Hawking's quip, "Religion is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark," apologist John Lennox said, "And atheism is a fairy story for those afraid of the light."

Do atheists fear that light aka God? I would answer no assuming I knew atheists to be completely sensible and rational in their rejection of theism, but they very often aren't sensible and rational in their unbelief. In this forum, for example, an atheist said he lost his belief in God when he realized that there are different religions. When I tried to explain to him that those conflicting faiths can be explained as some of them getting a real God wrong, well, it did me no good! It's simply illogical to conclude that God doesn't exist because some people disagree about him. His atheism is obviously based on faulty logic. What's odd about these cases involving atheists using poor reasoning to reject God is that those atheists seem quite reasonable otherwise. My guess is that they fear God and wish that he doesn't exist. Atheism is for them a sanctuary from theism and a hope that reality harbors no scary God.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Re: Are atheists afraid of God?

Post #301

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

Tcg wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:00 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 pm As they have tails like scorpions, their description lines up with US attack helicopters, except that a US helicopter is generally not in the business to let men live, unless they are spitting out chemicals instead of ordinance.
Another difference is that cicadas are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long. Attack helicopters are more like 50 feet long. That's a difference of about 598 inches. Oh, and helicopters don't hibernate at all much less for 17 years.

Tcg
When describing events to happen 2600 years in the future, one should be given certain liberties. On the other hand, the kingdom of heaven was presented in parables, which were not meant to be understood by the wicked (Mt 13:13). As the locust are just for a sign, it might be better to focus on the next event which ends with the destruction of 1/3 of man mankind (Rev 9:18). The destruction of the men is more in the realm of an A10 tank killer, which has a 7 barrel, 30 mm gun coming out of its mouth, which was responsible for the destruction of over 78% of the vehicles destroyed in the Iraq war.

2ndpillar2
Sage

Post #302

Post by 2ndpillar2 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 pm
2ndpillar2 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:50 pm As they have tails like scorpions, their description lines up with US attack helicopters, except that a US helicopter is generally not in the business to let men live, unless they are spitting out chemicals instead of ordinance.
Another difference is that cicadas are about 2 to 2 1/2 inches long. Attack helicopters are more like 50 feet long. That's a difference of about 598 inches. Oh, and helicopters don't hibernate at all much less for 17 years.

Tcg
I like me how ya did all that, and not never once had to point out how helicopters are not insects.
You forgot to point out that Babylon the Great (Rev 17) is not in reference to a city, and not a mountain, nor a hill, in the normal sense. Also the kings of the world (Rev 17) are not actual beast in the form of animals and metals (Daniel 2). But then again, it is not for all to understand (Daniel 12:10). The world is to be warned, not necessarily to heed. (Mt 24:14). When the end comes (Mt 24:14), your blood is supposedly to be on your own head, and not on those who have warned you of what is coming. (EZ 33:4)

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #303

Post by JoeyKnothead »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:47 pm You forgot to point out that Babylon the Great (Rev 17) is not in reference to a city, and not a mountain, nor a hill, in the normal sense. Also the kings of the world (Rev 17) are not actual beast in the form of animals and metals (Daniel 2). But then again, it is not for all to understand (Daniel 12:10). The world is to be warned, not necessarily to heed. (Mt 24:14).
:blink:
2ndpillar2 wrote: When the end comes (Mt 24:14), your blood is supposedly to be on your own head, and not on those who have warned you of what is coming. (EZ 33:4)
I spit on any god who'd bloody him up my head, simply cause I don't just trust me no internet preachers.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #304

Post by Tcg »

2ndpillar2 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Tcg
When describing events to happen 2600 years in the future, one should be given certain liberties.
With the biggest being the liberty that these apocalyptic visions should never be expected to match known reality. I will certainly give them that liberty. Given that, the 49.8333 foot discrepancy is not surprising.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

help3434
Guru

Post #305

Post by help3434 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:33 pm I would answer no assuming I knew atheists to be completely sensible and rational in their rejection of theism, but they very often aren't sensible and rational in their unbelief. In this forum, for example, an atheist said he lost his belief in God when he realized that there are different religions. When I tried to explain to him that those conflicting faiths can be explained as some of them getting a real God wrong, well, it did me no good! It's simply illogical to conclude that God doesn't exist because some people disagree about him. His atheism is obviously based on faulty logic.
So if someone realizes that their beliefs were based on false premises, the rational thing to do is to keep believing anyway?

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #306

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

help3434 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 1:52 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:33 pm I would answer no assuming I knew atheists to be completely sensible and rational in their rejection of theism, but they very often aren't sensible and rational in their unbelief. In this forum, for example, an atheist said he lost his belief in God when he realized that there are different religions. When I tried to explain to him that those conflicting faiths can be explained as some of them getting a real God wrong, well, it did me no good! It's simply illogical to conclude that God doesn't exist because some people disagree about him. His atheism is obviously based on faulty logic.
So if someone realizes that their beliefs were based on false premises, the rational thing to do is to keep believing anyway?
No, I didn't say that. I maintain that differing views of God no more disproves God than differing views of the dinosaurs disproves the dinosaurs. If a person does find their belief in a God to be based on false premises or invalid logic, then they may wish to drop belief in that God if they are no longer persuaded that that God exists.

help3434
Guru

Post #307

Post by help3434 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 pm

No, I didn't say that. I maintain that differing views of God no more disproves God than differing views of the dinosaurs disproves the dinosaurs.
I don't know what the posts you are referring to said exactly, but I doubt the poster said that it disproves God.
[/quote]
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 pm If a person does find their belief in a God to be based on false premises or invalid logic, then they may wish to drop belief in that God if they are no longer persuaded that that God exists.
And it sounds like that is what happened with the poster, so where is the irrationality? Where is the fear? Is attributing an atheists non belief to fear really a projection of a believers fear of their own doubts?

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #308

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

help3434 wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 4:16 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 pm

No, I didn't say that. I maintain that differing views of God no more disproves God than differing views of the dinosaurs disproves the dinosaurs.
I don't know what the posts you are referring to said exactly, but I doubt the poster said that it disproves God.
He said that the prevalence of different religions convinced him that God doesn't exist. While differing theologies may cast some doubt on God's existence, I think it's a leap to go as far as to say it demonstrates that God doesn't exist. If we can trust the Bible, its God is well aware of false gods (Psalm 40:4), so in that way that God can exist without any problem with some people believing in other gods.
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:25 pm If a person does find their belief in a God to be based on false premises or invalid logic, then they may wish to drop belief in that God if they are no longer persuaded that that God exists.
And it sounds like that is what happened with the poster, so where is the irrationality?
I already explained his fallacy regarding belief in different gods falsifying the existence of any of them. Now, if people believed in a God whose existence ruled out other people believing in other gods, then the existence of that God is logically impossible.
Where is the fear? Is attributing an atheists non belief to fear really a projection of a believers fear of their own doubts?
Psychologists know well how people will refuse to recognize problematical or upsetting truths. They call it "denial." You may agree with me that any person can experience denial whether they believe in a God or not. If thinking that a God exists is a cause for a person to be afraid, then a person might reject believing in God, the object of their fear. So as I hope you can see, some atheists fearing God is a definite possibility. If you've read the Bible, then you should know that not only is its God fearsome, he makes no secret of his desire to scare people into obeying him. Such fear mongering can affect atheists as well as theists although the result is obviously different on both camps.

A God that I find more compelling is a God that doesn't care if people believe in him or not. He neither seeks to scare nor comfort anybody. He's quite aloof, actually. He simply exists and in a way is existence. Since existence is evident, such a God is evident.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #309

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I reckon since I don't believe in grumpkins and snarks, I'm scared of em.

This is the 'logic' of "disbelief equals fear".

It's merely an attempt, if subconscious, to inject into atheists a belief they don't hold.

I don't believe in witches. I don't fear em.

I don't believe in unicorns. I don't fear em.

I do believe in the old lady. Now that'n there I fear from time to time. I love her, but sometimes she makes me eat oatmeal.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin