nobspeople
Prodigy

Why did Jesus have to be male?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Along the same lines of the thread here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38174
I assume he is though some may debate it if the above thread is any indication about what words mean and what terms were used then as they are now.

But why did God (whatever gender it is or isn't) decide to make a male version of himself/son (whichever you choose to believe)?
Why couldn't Jesus have been a female? Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Was Jesus needed to be male in order to get respect and attention? If so, could this be why God is male?
What was the reason why Jesus was and had to be male?
Or was if simply random?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bjs1
Sage

Re: Why did Jesus have to be male?

Post #2

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

Jesus did not have to be male. He had to have a sex because humans have a sex. For God to be “one of us” – for God to become fully human – he had to be one of the sexes. He could have been female. He was male.

Why? Within orthodox Christianity’s understanding of God, the Lord rarely explains why He does something. He does not appear to have a need to explain himself to us. We have, at best, unsupported conjecture as to why God chose to be male instead of female in the incarnation.

No matter how many times you say it, within orthodox Christianity God is still not male.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am ...Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Was Jesus needed to be male in order to get respect and attention? If so, could this be why God is male?
Or was if simply random?
I don’t have enough reason to say Jesus had to be male. I believe one reason why Jesus accepted the job was that he is a man. If he would have been a woman, he probably would not have done the job.

Was he more respected because he is a man? He got tortured and murdered, I don’t think he got it easier because he is a man. But, it is true that commonly the position of man has been historically different than women have. And women generally are very different from men. However, by what I know, there has been female prophets and, in that sense, I don’t think it would have been impossible. Maybe it was just so that no woman wanted that job and only one who was willing to do it was the man Jesus Christ.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #3]

Several questions:
I believe one reason why Jesus accepted the job was that he is a man. If he would have been a woman, he probably would not have done the job.
1) Why?

2) You said he accepted the job because he is a man. This would seem to indicate before he was born, he was a man. Does this mean, in heaven, he was a man as well?

3) Do you believe God and Jesus are one in the same?
by what I know, there has been female prophets and, in that sense, I don’t think it would have been impossible.
4) Who are these prophets that you know of and why would 'it' been impossible? And what was 'it' as you use it here?
Maybe it was just so that no woman wanted that job and only one who was willing to do it was the man Jesus Christ.
5) This seems to indicate there were others available to do the job, even women. Who were these individuals?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Along the same lines of the thread here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38174
I assume he is though some may debate it if the above thread is any indication about what words mean and what terms were used then as they are now.

But why did God (whatever gender it is or isn't) decide to make a male version of himself/son (whichever you choose to believe)?
Why couldn't Jesus have been a female? Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Or was if simply random?
I believe that if Jesus wasn't a male his disciples would have ravished him before he could change water into wine; with the exception of the Beloved Disciple of course. *wink* *wink*

Tcg
Savant

Post #6

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

This graphic of the layout of the temple may provide a clue.

Amongst the Israelites, women are kept furthest from the Holy of Holies. Priests, who were all men, had the closest access. Jesus' initial mission, reportedly, was to reform Judaism. He could not possibly have done this as a woman.

Even after his failure when Jesus' followers recrafted his mission as one to start an offshoot religion, a woman would not have the respect needed amongst followers of a male dominated religion to convince them to leave it. For this mythology to have a chance to take root, Jesus had to be presented as a man.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #7

Post by Miles »

Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:14 pm Jesus' initial mission, reportedly, was to reform Judaism.
Curious as to where does this notion comes from, because as I understand his mission any effect it might have on Judaism would be incidental.

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

Miles wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:29 pm
Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:14 pm Jesus' initial mission, reportedly, was to reform Judaism.
Curious as to where does this notion comes from, because as I understand his mission any effect it might have on Judaism would be incidental.

The first record of Jesus, after his birth, was of him teaching the priests in the temple. Later, he challenged the Pharisees and other religious leaders about their approach to Judaism. Why would he do this if his initial goal was to start a new religion? At least according to the book of Acts, it wasn't until after his death that his followers began to call themselves Christians.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #9

Post by JehovahsWitness »

WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO BE MALE?

Because he was to offer sacrifice that corresponds or is exactly equivalent to that of the individual who got humanity into our dire situation in the first place, namely Adam (who was an adult male).
ROMANS 5
"That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin [...] in the same way that Adam transgressed, who bears a resemblance to the one who was to come [...] by one man's trespass many died, how much more did the undeserved kindness of God and his free gift by the undeserved kindness of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to many!"
JESUS equal to Adam

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 pm
I believe that if Jesus wasn't a male his disciples would have ravished him before he could change water into wine; with the exception of the Beloved Disciple of course. *wink* *wink*

What kind of comment is this? What kind of joke is this !? Do you think RAPE or sexual harrassement is intrinsic all men or just to Jews? Did men stop raping every women they came across with our modern age? What are you trying to imply with your humour?

I appreciate you are using sexiste, racist or dare I say it homophobic innuendo to make a joke.. . but maybe you could be serious enough for a moment to explain which group we should be laughing at!

Dissapointed,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8