nobspeople
Prodigy

Why did Jesus have to be male?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Along the same lines of the thread here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38174
I assume he is though some may debate it if the above thread is any indication about what words mean and what terms were used then as they are now.

But why did God (whatever gender it is or isn't) decide to make a male version of himself/son (whichever you choose to believe)?
Why couldn't Jesus have been a female? Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Was Jesus needed to be male in order to get respect and attention? If so, could this be why God is male?
What was the reason why Jesus was and had to be male?
Or was if simply random?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Re: Why did Jesus have to be male?

Post #21

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Along the same lines of the thread here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38174
I assume he is though some may debate it if the above thread is any indication about what words mean and what terms were used then as they are now.

But why did God (whatever gender it is or isn't) decide to make a male version of himself/son (whichever you choose to believe)?
Why couldn't Jesus have been a female? Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Was Jesus needed to be male in order to get respect and attention? If so, could this be why God is male?
What was the reason why Jesus was and had to be male?
Or was if simply random?
I assume the question for debate, out of the eight questions you asked, is why Jesus needed to be male. One obvious reason he was male is that we are told Jesus was a Jew. The Jews were very patriarchal, and since Jesus was to be in a position of authority, it was necessary that he sport male genitalia. Jehovah preferred male genitalia over female for those he appointed as his prophets. Generally, female prophets just don't seem to have the oomph that male prophets do. Among the Jews a Daughter of God just wouldn't have worked.

Now, if Israel had been matriarchal, I think the women who ruled the Jews would have done things very differently. We would be asking: What would Jesusa do?

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #22

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 amNo matter how many times you say it, within orthodox Christianity God is still not male.
Some people, including some Christians, see God as either neuter or hermaphrodite. Although God is often portrayed as male, to have him be a literal male encounters difficulties regarding the all-mighty having a penis and testicles. What would he use them for? He eschews sex and has no need to urinate, so genitals would be extraneous. I suppose genitals might for him serve for display purposes.

The Greeks, by contrast, had no difficulty with such issues.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Tcg wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:14 pmEven after his failure when Jesus' followers recrafted his mission as one to start an offshoot religion, a woman would not have the respect needed amongst followers of a male dominated religion to convince them to leave it. For this mythology to have a chance to take root, Jesus had to be presented as a man.
If we create a God, we make that God like us. That's why the Jews made a Jewish God, the Greeks made Greek gods, and the Vikings made Viking gods.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #24

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO BE MALE?

Because he was to offer sacrifice that corresponds or is exactly equivalent to that of the individual who got humanity into our dire situation in the first place, namely Adam (who was an adult male).
Using that logic Jesus should have been a woman. It was Eve, after all, who according to the story got humanity into our dire situation in the first place

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #25

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:18 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO BE MALE?

Because he was to offer sacrifice that corresponds or is exactly equivalent to that of the individual who got humanity into our dire situation in the first place, namely Adam (who was an adult male).
Using that logic Jesus should have been a woman. It was Eve, after all, who according to the story got humanity into our dire situation in the first place

No, the bible does not hold Eve as responsible for the fall of mankind, she is never mentioned in this regard (responsibility for the plight of their descendents). She sinned first and definitely influenced Adam to do the same, but Adam alone is ultimately held as responsible for humanity's subsequent situation.

ROMANS 5:12, 15

That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned. ... For if by one man’s trespass many died, how much more did the undeserved kindness of God and his free gift by the undeserved kindness of the one man,

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Miles
Savant

Post #26

Post by Miles »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 pm
bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 amNo matter how many times you say it, within orthodox Christianity God is still not male.
Some people, including some Christians, see God as either neuter or hermaphrodite. Although God is often portrayed as male, to have him be a literal male encounters difficulties regarding the all-mighty having a penis and testicles. What would he use them for? He eschews sex and has no need to urinate, so genitals would be extraneous.

How do you know he eschews sex and has no need to urinate? Lacking evidence of any sort, this sounds like a case of "unverified assertions to fit my personal opinion." Remember, he did impregnate Mary.

I suppose genitals might for him serve for display purposes.
As well as having a belly button

Which he passed onto Adam no less. Bet Eve had a belly button as well.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:17 am No, the bible does not hold Eve as responsible for the fall of mankind, she is never mentioned in this regard (responsibility for the plight of their descendents). She sinned first and definitely influenced Adam to do the same, but Adam alone is ultimately held as responsible for humanity's subsequent situation.

ROMANS 5:12, 15

That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin, and so death spread to all men because they had all sinned. ... For if by one man’s trespass many died, how much more did the undeserved kindness of God and his free gift by the undeserved kindness of the one man,
Actually, the Bible does tell us that Eve got us into this mess. From 1 Timothy 2 (New World Translation):
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and became a transgressor.
It's important to remember that Eve ate the fruit before Adam did, which started all the trouble. For her, the snake in the tree was more convincing than Jehovah was.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #28

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Miles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am How do you know he eschews sex and has no need to urinate? Lacking evidence of any sort, this sounds like a case of "unverified assertions to fit my personal opinion." Remember, he did impregnate Mary.
I'm going by what I've been told about God. As we know nowadays, a penis is not absolutely necessary to procreate. Virgin conceptions are very possible. Either God thinks that sex is dirty and below him and his Son, or Mary didn't appeal to him. Personally, if I had been God, I would have chosen the hottest Jewish woman in Israel to bear Jesus, and to heck with virgin births!

Miles
Savant

Post #29

Post by Miles »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:30 pm
Miles wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:18 am How do you know he eschews sex and has no need to urinate? Lacking evidence of any sort, this sounds like a case of "unverified assertions to fit my personal opinion." Remember, he did impregnate Mary.
I'm going by what I've been told about God. As we know nowadays, a penis is not absolutely necessary to procreate. Virgin conceptions are very possible.
If you're thinking of artificial insemination, wherein a doctor inserts sperm directly into a woman's cervix or uterus, you still have to get the sperm from somewhere, and guess where that comes from and how you get it out. Yup! "Pass the Kleenex please."
Either God thinks that sex is dirty and below him and his Son, or Mary didn't appeal to him.
Nah. I think he used the old tried and true method: PIV.
Personally, if I had been God, I would have chosen the hottest Jewish woman in Israel to bear Jesus, and to heck with virgin births!
Personally, I believe you.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #30

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:22 pm
Actually, the Bible does tell us that Eve got us into this mess. From 1 Timothy 2 (New World Translation):
13 For Adam was formed first, then Eve. 14 Also, Adam was not deceived, but the woman was thoroughly deceived and became a transgressor.
It's important to remember that Eve ate the fruit before Adam did, which started all the trouble. For her, the snake in the tree was more convincing than Jehovah was.

DOES 1 TIMOTHY 2:13 INDICATE EVE WAS HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR MANKIND'S FALL?

1 Timothy contains several biblical facts none of which indicate Eve's responsibility for mankind's condition. Let us examine the statements

#1. Adam was formed (created ) first
#2. Adam was not deceived
#3. [Eve] was thoroughly deceived
#4. Eve became a sinner

#1. Adam was former (created ) first Why does Paul include this detail ? Effctively telling us that Adam was the older and in consequence the more experienced of the two? The context helps shed some light, Paul is not discussing age, he is discussing the issue of leadership and submission. Outlining that in the Christian arrangement, women are not to occupy the position of headship. He who says headship says responsibility. Just as the head of a company may make the final decision as to production he is ultimately responsible for the effect his choices has on those under Him.

- OBJECTION : But didn't Eve usurp Her husband's headship? 'Adam' s position was god-given and only God could change that. Eve did not have the power to surplant Adam (and thus become the head of the human family) and as a consequence be responsible for how her decision would impact the human race. That responsibility lay firmy and irrevocably with Adam.

Eve ignored her husband's headship, she made a decision that would (depending on how her husband reacted) at the very least impact her own wellbeing and potentially all her children, but she was not held responsibe for anyone but herself.
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8