nobspeople
Prodigy

Why did Jesus have to be male?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Along the same lines of the thread here
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=38174
I assume he is though some may debate it if the above thread is any indication about what words mean and what terms were used then as they are now.

But why did God (whatever gender it is or isn't) decide to make a male version of himself/son (whichever you choose to believe)?
Why couldn't Jesus have been a female? Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Was Jesus needed to be male in order to get respect and attention? If so, could this be why God is male?
What was the reason why Jesus was and had to be male?
Or was if simply random?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Why did Jesus have to be male?

Post #11

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm
As I understand the story, Adam sinned because he was imperfect, which is evidenced by his imperfect judgement when presented with the apple.

Genesis 2:15-17
The Lord God put the man in the Garden of Eden to work the soil and take care of the garden. 16 The Lord God gave him this command: “You may eat from any tree in the garden. 17 But you must not eat from the tree that gives knowledge about good and evil. If you eat fruit from that tree, on that day you will certainly die!”

So Adam knows not to eat from the tree that gives knowledge about good and evil. However, . . .

Genesis 3:4-6
4 But the snake said to the woman, “You will not die. 5 God knows that if you eat the fruit from that tree you will learn about good and evil, and then you will be like God!” 6 The woman could see that the tree was beautiful and the fruit looked so good to eat. She also liked the idea that it would make her wise. So she took some of the fruit from the tree and ate it. Her husband was there with her, so she gave him some of the fruit, and he ate it.

He went ahead and ate it anyway. Bad judgement? It sure was. Perfect person = bad judgement? Nope.

Yet Jesus, who is said to be perfect,* is compared to Adam as an equal, who was not perfect. What gives JW?

*"The perfection of Christ is a principle in Christology which asserts that Christ's human attributes exemplified perfection in every possible sense."
(Source: Wikipedia)

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

bjs1 wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:16 am For God to be “one of us” – for God to become fully human – he had to be one of the sexes.
You are overlooking the fact that some humans are hermaphrodites. He could have chosen to become a hermaphrodite, pretending for a moment that he was really god, to appeal to a wider audience. Jesus then could have been "both of us" so to speak. This of course wouldn't play well in a male dominated society so the creators of this mythology chose a male as the star of the show.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 4:51 pm
nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Along the same lines of the thread here
I assume he is though some may debate it if the above thread is any indication about what words mean and what terms were used then as they are now.

But why did God (whatever gender it is or isn't) decide to make a male version of himself/son (whichever you choose to believe)?
Why couldn't Jesus have been a female? Would the sacrifice he's said to have made been any more of less successful?
Was Jesus needed to be male in order to get respect and attention? If so, could this be why God is male?
Or was if simply random?
I believe that if Jesus wasn't a male his disciples would have ravished him before he could change water into wine; with the exception of the Beloved Disciple of course. *wink* *wink*

I forgot - which was this disciple's name?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Tcg in post #6]
He could not possibly have done this as a woman.
I thought with God, all things are possible?
“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matty 9:26
Seems to me, if God would have done this (which is possible per above scripture, not to mention God's ability to created everything) that it would have been an enormous boon to God and his cause, no?
a woman would not have the respect needed amongst followers of a male dominated religion to convince them to leave it. For this mythology to have a chance to take root, Jesus had to be presented as a man.
Which is why, maybe, God is said to be male as well?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #15

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:57 pm WHY DID JESUS HAVE TO BE MALE?

Because he was to offer sacrifice that corresponds or is exactly equivalent to that of the individual who got humanity into our dire situation in the first place, namely Adam (who was an adult male).
ROMANS 5
"That is why, just as through one man sin entered into the world and death through sin [...] in the same way that Adam transgressed, who bears a resemblance to the one who was to come [...] by one man's trespass many died, how much more did the undeserved kindness of God and his free gift by the undeserved kindness of the one man, Jesus Christ, abound to many!"
JESUS equal to Adam

JW
MMmmmmm..... God didn't do much to stop the initial failure of Adam, as has been argued for centuries. But if one wants to believe this 'save face' for God, fine. But how, exactly, was Jesus "exactly equivalent" to Adam aside from genitalia? Did Adam ever walk on water or heal the sick? Did Adam raise from the dead? If they were "exactly equivalent", Adam's forced removal from the Garden is a sacrifice on his part? Where's the value in that? Or does this negate Jesus's sacrifice somewhat? Wasn't Jesus sacrifice 'supreme' because he was in part, God? Otherwise, he's just another dead guy in a hole somewhere.
And why would this (being exactly equivalent") matter?

Savant

Post #16

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm
I believe one reason why Jesus accepted the job was that he is a man. If he would have been a woman, he probably would not have done the job.
1) Why?
Maybe because in that case he would have been more interested to get admiration and power to himself and would have been seeking to become the empress of the world?
nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm2) You said he accepted the job because he is a man. This would seem to indicate before he was born, he was a man. Does this mean, in heaven, he was a man as well?
I believe he was a man also before he was born. But, all though the following scriptures indicates he existed before he was born, it may be that he existed as an idea or plan.

Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I tell you, before Abraham came into existence, I AM [= I was].
John 8:58

Now, Father, glorify me with your own self with the glory which I had with you before the world existed.
John 17:5
nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm3) Do you believe God and Jesus are one in the same?
Bible tells God is greater than Jesus, and I believe what the Bible tells.

…the Father is greater than I.
John 14:28
nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm
by what I know, there has been female prophets and, in that sense, I don’t think it would have been impossible.
4) Who are these prophets that you know of …
There was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of the tribe of Asher (she was of a great age, having lived with a husband seven years from her virginity,
Luke 2:36

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to 1213 in post #17]
Maybe because in that case he would have been more interested to get admiration and power to himself and would have been seeking to become the empress of the world?
So, he accepted the job because he was a man, as a women would be more interested in getting admiration and power for herself, and become an empress?
I believe he was a man also before he was born. But, all though the following scriptures indicates he existed before he was born, it may be that he existed as an idea or plan.
When asked if he was a male before he was born, you think he was. Or he was an idea or plan, which would mean he may not have been human.
Bible tells God is greater than Jesus, and I believe what the Bible tells.
When asked if you believe God and Jesus were one in the same, you don't answer the question directly, instead referencing something about equality.

Miles
Savant

Post #18

Post by Miles »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:59 am
nobspeople wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:48 am Along the same lines of the thread here

Or was if simply random?
I believe that if Jesus wasn't a male his disciples would have ravished him before he could change water into wine; with the exception of the Beloved Disciple of course. *wink* *wink*

I forgot - which was this disciple's name?
Good question, but it seems there's no definitive answer---one of those things proper people didn't talk about I guess. Although, there is speculation:

.............................Image

"Since the end of the first century, the Beloved Disciple has been commonly identified with John the Evangelist. Scholars have debated the authorship of Johannine literature (the Gospel of John, Epistles of John, and the Book of Revelation) since at least the third century, but especially since the Enlightenment."

Source: Wikipedia

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 9:03 am [Replying to Tcg in post #6]
He could not possibly have done this as a woman.
I thought with God, all things are possible?
“With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible.” Matty 9:26
Seems to me, if God would have done this (which is possible per above scripture, not to mention God's ability to created everything) that it would have been an enormous boon to God and his cause, no?
That's a good point. It would have been an enormous boon.
a woman would not have the respect needed amongst followers of a male dominated religion to convince them to leave it. For this mythology to have a chance to take root, Jesus had to be presented as a man.
Which is why, maybe, God is said to be male as well?
Yes, the same principle would apply in that case as well.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #20

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:16 pm

What kind of comment is this? What kind of joke is this !? Do you think RAPE or sexual harrassement is intrinsic all men or just to Jews? Did men stop raping every women they came across with our modern age? What are you trying to imply with your humour?

I appreciate you are using sexiste, racist or dare I say it homophobic innuendo to make a joke.. . but maybe you could be serious enough for a moment to explain which group we should be laughing at!

Dissapointed,
You need not laugh at all. When satire has to be explained it pretty much looses its punch, so I'm not going to bother.