How did the historical Jesus become famous?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

How did the historical Jesus become famous?

Post #1

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

As you should know some non-Christian scholars like Bart Ehrman and John Dominic Crossan do not believe that Jesus was anything more than a "small time" Jewish preacher. He never rose from the dead. Nevertheless, Jesus and his life inspired the world's largest religion. If Ehrman and Crossan are right about Jesus, then we must ask how Jesus became the lasting focal point of his followers. Why did the disciples preach that he was God's right-hand man and savior of the world if they knew he had suffered an ignominious death at the hands of the Romans never to be seen again?

The pieces of this puzzle don't fit together very well. It seems likely to me that Jesus would have been very famous in his day to inspire people the way he did. On the other hand, a very famous Jesus would have probably been noticed by the historians of the early first century, yet they say nothing about him.

Any thoughts on this issue would be appreciated.

historia
Prodigy

Re: How did the historical Jesus become famous?

Post #61

Post by historia »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #61]

Responding to the same post twice -- misattributing the author the second time -- all the while trying to thumb your nose at its contents doesn't really have the effect you think it does.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:52 am
Ever notice how so much religious apologetics gets down to the methodology of em pologizing about their inability to show they speak em them the truth?
Post #56 is not a "religious apologetic," so your argument is misplaced.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: How did the historical Jesus become famous?

Post #62

Post by JoeyKnothead »

historia wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:06 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #61]

Responding to the same post twice -- misattributing the author the second time -- all the while trying to thumb your nose at its contents doesn't really have the effect you think it does.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:52 am
Ever notice how so much religious apologetics gets down to the methodology of em pologizing about their inability to show they speak em them the truth?
Post #56 is not a "religious apologetic," so your argument is misplaced.
I preciate ya pointing out my error/s as I contend I feel my referenced post was related to Apologetics, even if I couldn't make me clear enough it was - as relates to my understanding of not just spamming threads, so on that part, I don't think a pology is in order. The being out of place in pologetics.

But I sure pologize if I misattributed authorship, to where I put words in the wrong mouth, and will find me someone to blame for it, just quick as I can ;)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin