Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Your opinion is noted.

Post #1

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Diagoras wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:41 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #364]

Nice analogy. I’m sure we could all come up with similar ones to support our own world view.

The message “turn to God, or there will be trouble” has been re-stated countless times and in countless ways since Christianity began. Deuteronomy 28 might still hold sway over some people, but most now see it for what it is: baseless fearmongering.
Your opinion is noted.
Regarding the phrase;

"Your opinion is noted."

Q: For those who say this within the context of debating, what is meant by that?

It does not in itself present any argument, and is more just a one-liner as far as I can tell.

Q: For those who's opinion is 'noted', what do you make of this type of reply? Is it helpful to the debate or considered to be an Acquiesce?

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: Your opinion is noted.

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

William wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 pm"Your opinion is noted."

Q: For those who say this within the context of debating, what is meant by that?

It does not in itself present any argument, and is more just a one-liner as far as I can tell.

Q: For those who's opinion is 'noted', what do you make of this type of reply? Is it helpful to the debate or considered to be an Acquiesce?
I take it to mean, "the thing you have just said is an unsupported opinion, therefore carries no more weight than any other assertion." Whether that's true or not is often debatable (kind of like, "there's no evidence," and its converse, "I have demonstrated"), but that's generally the implied definition of "opinion" over, one presumes, "fact."
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by 2timothy316 »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:00 pm
William wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 pm"Your opinion is noted."

I take it to mean, "the thing you have just said is an unsupported opinion, therefore carries no more weight than any other assertion." Whether that's true or not is often debatable (kind of like, "there's no evidence," and its converse, "I have demonstrated"), but that's generally the implied definition of "opinion" over, one presumes, "fact."
Agreed. I'll add to this that it is a kind way of letting person know that their post has been read and they have not been ignored. However, what they said can't be 'liked' as in clicking the like button or agreed with. It also is a way to end a fruitless debate. There is no use in debating a person has shown that their opinion is the only evidence accepted as truth. It's better for a person to kindly acknowledge the person leave them to their opinion and then move on.

William
Savant

Post #4

Post by William »

William
Savant

Post #5

Post by William »

Clownboat
Savant

Post #6

Post by Clownboat »

William wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:03 pm Your opinion has been noted
I see what you did there!
It does not foster good debate, that much is sure.
You can give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day, or you can teach a man to pray for fish and he will starve to death.

I blame man for codifying those rules into a book which allowed superstitious people to perpetuate a barbaric practice. Rules that must be followed or face an invisible beings wrath. - KenRU

It is sad that in an age of freedom some people are enslaved by the nomads of old. - Marco

If you are unable to demonstrate that what you believe is true and you absolve yourself of the burden of proof, then what is the purpose of your arguments? - brunumb

William
Savant

Post #7

Post by William »

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to William in post #1]

"Your opinion is noted."

I've read and I believe I understand what you're saying, even though I might not agree.
But, like anything written, it's up to the reader to gleam understanding from what's been said.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

William
Savant

Post #9

Post by William »

"Your Opinion is noted"

Not how debates are won folk.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #10