Moderator: Moderators

William
Savant

Your opinion is noted.

Post #1

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:29 pm
Diagoras wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:41 pm [Replying to 2timothy316 in post #364]

Nice analogy. I’m sure we could all come up with similar ones to support our own world view.

The message “turn to God, or there will be trouble” has been re-stated countless times and in countless ways since Christianity began. Deuteronomy 28 might still hold sway over some people, but most now see it for what it is: baseless fearmongering.
Your opinion is noted.
Regarding the phrase;

"Your opinion is noted."

Q: For those who say this within the context of debating, what is meant by that?

It does not in itself present any argument, and is more just a one-liner as far as I can tell.

Q: For those who's opinion is 'noted', what do you make of this type of reply? Is it helpful to the debate or considered to be an Acquiesce?

William
Savant

Re: Your opinion is noted.

Post #11

Post by William »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:49 pm
William wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 3:47 pm "Your Opinion is noted"

Not how debates are won folk.
I don't look to win debates.
I accept your acquiesce.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #12

Post by TRANSPONDER »

I think we do. :) It's why we are here. We are looking to argue our views and opinions and validate them not only to ourselves but to others. To repeat myself (bad habit of mine and one of my favourites) "I have never accepted 'Not arguing - just telling'. We are here to make our case and (I believe) 'Not here to argue' is said only by those who are afraid to lose a debate.

Now as to 'Your opinion is noted'...it's not in the Theist to English dictionary and phrasebook, but it is in the online interlinear dictionary of Corporate wafflelese. Dlibert noted this by having his 'boss' say (in a conference, 'I value your opinion' which is corporate -speak for 'I am going to do what I like and I only held this meeting so you couldn't claim that you weren't consulted'. And trust me, That was what I saw in my own office. I have a theory.... :yes: ... that Margaret Thatcher invented that politics and Corporations took it up and the world has never recovered.

Anyhow....'Your opinion is noted' really means whatever the writer means it to mean, but principally, 'I'm not listening'. or 'I don't care what you say', 'We shall have to agree to differ' and other variations on the fingers in the ears which is the final defence of the denialist. Of course we do sometimes have to agree to differ where there are equally valid cases on both sides. For instance, the Historical Jesus. I'm not even sure in my own mind and 'agree to differ' has some merit.

But even there (and haven't I noticed it with my evidentially true 'principle of embarrassment') the makeweight in the argument is dismissed without comment apparently because it isn't what is being 'Generally Said', and that is just what 'your opinion is noted' (read 'I'm not listening') means.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by 2timothy316 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:22 pm

I think we do. :)
Again, your opinion is noted.

Anytime you use the words "I think" you can only speak for yourself and that doesn't add facts to a debate. I have nothing for a person who's replies are opinions. Do not presume to speak for me and what my goal is on these forums.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #14

Post by TRANSPONDER »

:D I wouldn't dream of speaking for you here or anywhere else. However I have to explain that 'I think' means 'I'm making my own argument rather than cutting and pasting from some website' and it has to rest on what I can argue. The readers will have to make up their own minds and - unless you post some valid counter argument, which you have not done - your comments don't help you or the cause you are trying to argue,

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

William wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:43 pm Regarding the phrase;

"Your opinion is noted."

Q: For those who say this within the context of debating, what is meant by that?

It does not in itself present any argument, and is more just a one-liner as far as I can tell.

Q: For those who's opinion is 'noted', what do you make of this type of reply? Is it helpful to the debate or considered to be an Acquiesce?
Of course it isn't an argument, but it can be helpful. I see "Your opinion is noted" as possibly meaning:

"You've got me beat, and I don't want to discuss the issue any further."

"Your opinion is so dumb it isn't worth replying to."

"I'm tired of the whole discussion. Adios good friend."

"I'll think about it."

"You've had your say, now lets get back to the issue at at hand."

For those out there who have other interpretations please chime in. :D

William
Savant

Post #16

Post by William »

[Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #12]
But even there (and haven't I noticed it with my evidentially true 'principle of embarrassment') the makeweight in the argument is dismissed without comment apparently because it isn't what is being 'Generally Said', and that is just what 'your opinion is noted' (read 'I'm not listening') means.
I think it is something also of an attempt to "have the last word" and is equally as useful a device of debate as sudden silence whereby the one you were arguing with suddenly fails to respond.

At first it appears they have up and left the forum - but lo and behold they eventually return to continue their style of 'battle' in some other thread or another and will even eventual get around to resuming arguing with you - and when you then bring up the fact that there are still unanswered questions in other threads they abandoned, they make some statement along the lines that they already covered all that and see no reason to repeat themselves and sometimes even give you links to this supposed stuff so you can waste your time looking only to find no such thing really...it has all been a figment of their imagination but still has the potential to produce something approaching legitimacy among the readers who have not been following the process from the go-get - so it makes it look like the fault lies elsewhere/with others not themselves.

Skullduggery? For sure.

A form of deception? Undoubtably.

Sad to see?

Once upon a time, but now pretty much expected.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #17

Post by 2timothy316 »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:12 pm :D I wouldn't dream of speaking for you here or anywhere else. However I have to explain that 'I think' means 'I'm making my own argument rather than cutting and pasting from some website' and it has to rest on what I can argue. The readers will have to make up their own minds and - unless you post some valid counter argument, which you have not done - your comments don't help you or the cause you are trying to argue,
Who said I wanted help for my cause? I don't think people know what my 'cause' is. When someone posts their opinion I let them have it and they are welcome to it. I do not debate to change people's opinions and folks that get salty because I don't try, will just have to move on.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #18

Post by TRANSPONDER »

Miles wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:23 pm

"Your opinion is noted."

Of course it isn't an argument, but it can be helpful. I see "Your opinion is noted" as possibly meaning:

"I'll think about it."

Right. It is all in the same bin -end box as the other ways of scraping a draw, 'My opinion is as good as yours' "I don't care what you say, I still think..." and other ways of getting out of a discussion they are losing without having to face up to it.

William
Savant

Post #19

Post by William »

TRANSPONDER wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:22 pm
Miles wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:23 pm

"Your opinion is noted."

"I'll think about it."

Right. It is all in the same bin -end box as the other ways of scraping a draw, 'My opinion is as good as yours' "I don't care what you say, I still think..." and other ways of getting out of a discussion they are losing without having to face up to it.
This is specifically why I created this thread - in order that we can have a general place to store these post which end tin this manner, and from there, examine the common thread which runs through said reaction to determine the best possible reason as to why it is used as a debate strategy.

So when a Christian [or anyone really - but it is usually Christians] make the comment elsewhere, I link that comment here.
If nothing else, it then becomes a helpful resource and such tactics don't get lost when threads sink...thus helping serve to curtail future use of the expression as a common/acceptable tactic to employ...no more 'getting away with it'.

TRANSPONDER
Savant

Post #20

Post by TRANSPONDER »

William wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:36 pm [Replying to TRANSPONDER in post #12]
I think it is something also of an attempt to "have the last word" and is equally as useful a device of debate as sudden silence whereby the one you were arguing with suddenly fails to respond.

At first it appears they have up and left the forum - but lo and behold they eventually return to continue their style of 'battle' in some other thread or another and will even eventual get around to resuming arguing with you - and when you then bring up the fact that there are still unanswered questions in other threads they abandoned, they make some statement along the lines that they already covered all that and see no reason to repeat themselves and sometimes even give you links to this supposed stuff so you can waste your time looking only to find no such thing really...it has all been a figment of their imagination but still has the potential to produce something approaching legitimacy among the readers who have not been following the process from the go-get - so it makes it look like the fault lies elsewhere/with others not themselves.

Skullduggery? For sure.

A form of deception? Undoubtably.

Sad to see?

Once upon a time, but now pretty much expected.
Oh well, let's be fair. We get some pretty tough Theists who argue stoutly and as honestly as Theist apologetics will let them. I'm just aware that there is always the option (when they are losing) to weasel out with the deep dive, the flare -up and the flounce. 'Let's agree to differ' and 'my opinion is as good as yours' being one of the perennial favourites.
2timothy316 wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 9:46 am
TRANSPONDER wrote: Tue Nov 16, 2021 6:12 pm :D I wouldn't dream of speaking for you here or anywhere else. However I have to explain that 'I think' means 'I'm making my own argument rather than cutting and pasting from some website' and it has to rest on what I can argue. The readers will have to make up their own minds and - unless you post some valid counter argument, which you have not done - your comments don't help you or the cause you are trying to argue,
Who said I wanted help for my cause? I don't think people know what my 'cause' is. When someone posts their opinion I let them have it and they are welcome to it. I do not debate to change people's opinions and folks that get salty because I don't try, will just have to move on.
:) I don't mind what you do or how you think you are approaching the discussion. People are looking to see who has the best case and someone trying to duck, dive, shift the goalposts and finally run away shouting 'I win' will be seen as a loser - just so long as the atheist points it out as such ploys can deceive the unwary. Or that's how I see it and if I'm wrong, no harm done O:) If I am right you just wasted yourself a post.