Only 1 out of 5 Americans agree the Bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches.

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Miles
Savant

Only 1 out of 5 Americans agree the Bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches.

Post #1

Post by Miles »

From Lifeway research

source

As a percentage of the 48% of Americans who believe the Bible is the word of god, this means that only 21% (about 1/5) of all Americans agree the Bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches.

Boy, from the way Christianity is touted in the USA I would have figured the percentage would be much higher. How about you, does this seem about right?

tam
Savant

Re: Only 1 out of 5 Americans agree the Bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches.

Post #11

Post by tam »

Peace to you.

[Replying to Miles in post #1]

People hold all sorts of different views, even if it means not accepting something that their particular denomination teaches (and perhaps some are simply aware that bible is NOT the Word of God; that Christ is the Word of God, as is even written: John 1:14-15; Rev 19:13). So I am not surprised at those numbers, but I would not have been surprised if they were higher either.

I was only a little surprised for the last number, lol. 19% of people who identify as non-Christians, who believe the bible is the word of God, also believe that it is 100% accurate in all that it says. Where did that number come from? Islam does not teach that the bible is 100% accurate in all that it says (unless perhaps if the question in the stat specified 'original documents' before they were handled and copied); Judaism does not believe that the bible is 100% accurate in all that it says (considering the NT)... unless of course Messianic Jews count themselves as non-Christians. That might explain that number, but that is just a guess. *shrugs*

I'm not sure about what Hinduism teaches or Buddhism regarding the bible, or some of the less known religions, but for sure agnostics and atheists would not be counted among the 'non-Christians' who think the bible is the word of God and 100% accurate.

But again.. people don't necessarily believe all their religion teaches (and there are so many schisms in all of them anyway).

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Only 1 out of 5 Americans agree the Bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches.

Post #12

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Howdy y'all here in TD&D. Here's hoping all y'all's biscuits rise up and ya put real butter on em, not that stuff the pretty thing buys in them plastic bins cause cholesterol killls, but she don't consider how that to do list has me heading to me an early grave.

I know I don't normally fetch here, cept to take names, but when tam posts, well how bout that.
tam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 pm ...
I was only a little surprised for the last number, lol. 19% of people who identify as non-Christians, who believe the bible is the word of God, also believe that it is 100% accurate in all that it says. Where did that number come from?
Here in the Bible Belt of South US, in the greatest State of Georgia, South US, a good bunch of us come up being told the Bible was told it directly by God, only it seems, he couldn't write or something, maybe it was Sunday, so he told it all to the fallen and fallible human stenographers, and don't it be all, it's figured he put him his blessed anointing on em not to foul it all up. Best I can tell. Then it was, Saint Printing came along, and I'm here to tell it.

So, I'm set to think it's considered by (some / many / most) Christians to be 100% accurate. I gotta stop there.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #13

Post by Tcg »

tam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 pm Peace to you.

I was only a little surprised for the last number, lol. 19% of people who identify as non-Christians, who believe the bible is the word of God, also believe that it is 100% accurate in all that it says. Where did that number come from? Islam does not teach that the bible is 100% accurate in all that it says (unless perhaps if the question in the stat specified 'original documents' before they were handled and copied); Judaism does not believe that the bible is 100% accurate in all that it says (considering the NT)... unless of course Messianic Jews count themselves as non-Christians. That might explain that number, but that is just a guess. *shrugs*

I'm not sure about what Hinduism teaches or Buddhism regarding the bible, or some of the less known religions, but for sure agnostics and atheists would not be counted among the 'non-Christians' who think the bible is the word of God and 100% accurate.
That is more than a little surprising. I checked the source website, but couldn't find any explanation of the term 'non-Christians.'

One important note is that the statistic refers to those who believe that the bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches, not in all that it says. It's a subtle distinction, but may include those who for instance may agree that humans are sinful as the bible teaches, but may not take the story of the fall of Adam and Eve as a literal event.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #14

Post by Miles »

tam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 pm Peace to you.

People hold all sorts of different views, even if it means not accepting something that their particular denomination teaches (and perhaps some are simply aware that bible is NOT the Word of God; that Christ is the Word of God, as is even written: John 1:14-15; Rev 19:13). So I am not surprised at those numbers, but I would not have been surprised if they were higher either.

But again.. people don't necessarily believe all their religion teaches (and there are so many schisms in all of them anyway).
Gotta agree, and after taking a closer look at the survey the whole thing comes off as highly suspicious, particularly because of the scant description of its research protocols. That and its affiliation. LifeWay Research is the research division of LifeWay Christian Resources the publishing and distribution division of the Southern Baptist Convention and provider of church business services. So, so much for relying on any lack of bias, and presuming any professionalism regarding its protocols.

My apologies to everyone for posting such a questionable OP.

Miles

otseng
Savant

Post #15

Post by otseng »

Moderator Intervention

Moved topic to C&A.

Moderator interventions do not count as a strike against any posters. They are given at the discretion of a moderator when he or she feels that some sort of intervention is required.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #16

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Miles wrote: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:23 pmAs a percentage of the 48% of Americans who believe the Bible is the word of god, this means that only 21% (about 1/5) of all Americans agree the Bible is 100% accurate in all that it teaches.

Boy, from the way Christianity is touted in the USA I would have figured the percentage would be much higher. How about you, does this seem about right? .
Yes, as far as I can tell, I have no reason to disagree with those statistics. As much as the Bible and Christianity are touted by apologists, people do have brains. The Bible's writers were writing about God, and what they wrote need not be true about God. A piece of papyrus will stand every bit as still for an error as it will stand still for a fact. I think that even Christians understand this fact, and when they read stories that are simply outlandish, they are not quick to believe it all.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #17

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

2timothy316 wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:53 amSo you're saying follow what is gaining popularity? That's a very dangerous reason to change one's mind on anything.
What others think doesn't sway what I think about the Bible so the poll is useless to me.

In short the answer to your poll is, who cares? To those that do care about such polls, this explains a lot!
My approach is different from yours. I do often respect or at least consider what others have to say about any issue including the truthfulness of the Bible. They may know something I don't know. Besides, I want people to consider what I have to say, so the Golden Rule mandates that I treat others the same way.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

tam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 pmPeople hold all sorts of different views, even if it means not accepting something that their particular denomination teaches (and perhaps some are simply aware that bible is NOT the Word of God; that Christ is the Word of God, as is even written: John 1:14-15; Rev 19:13). So I am not surprised at those numbers, but I would not have been surprised if they were higher either.
What you're saying here seems a bit circular. If the Bible isn't the word of God, then how can it substantiate that Christ is the word of God? Wouldn't the Bible need to be God's word to assure us something about Christ?

Also, to describe Christ as the word of God appears to be a category error. A man cannot be a word, so I assume that word is being used as a metaphor. What does word symbolize?

tam
Savant

Post #19

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 1:24 pm
tam wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:26 pmPeople hold all sorts of different views, even if it means not accepting something that their particular denomination teaches (and perhaps some are simply aware that bible is NOT the Word of God; that Christ is the Word of God, as is even written: John 1:14-15; Rev 19:13). So I am not surprised at those numbers, but I would not have been surprised if they were higher either.
What you're saying here seems a bit circular. If the Bible isn't the word of God, then how can it substantiate that Christ is the word of God? Wouldn't the Bible need to be God's word to assure us something about Christ?
I'm not saying Christ is the Word of God just because the Bible claims Him to be the Word of God. Bible or no bible, Christ is the Word of God. But for the some/many who believe the Bible is the Word of God, then it can be pointed out to them that a) the bible does not make that claim about itself, and b) the bible actually states that Christ is the Word of God.
Also, to describe Christ as the word of God appears to be a category error. A man cannot be a word, so I assume that word is being used as a metaphor. What does word symbolize?
Christ is also the Life, the Resurrection, the Light, the Way, the Truth, so I see no problem that He is also the Word (of God). God speaks to us through His Son, the Word of God.
Listening to Christ is the same as listening to His Father, obeying Christ is the same as obeying the Father. Not because they are the same person, but because Christ is the Truth and the Word of God.

Peace to you.

Kenisaw
Guru

Post #20

Post by Kenisaw »

To be honest, yes that does seem to be about right. Most people I know do not take the Bible literally.