Self fulfilling experiences

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Self fulfilling experiences

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

We've all heard of NDEs and OBEs - some may know one who had such an experience (or even had one ourselves!!). Listening to Kristy Salisbury's experience, for example, and reading up on it a bit, she struck on something I've long considered highly likely: people tend to create their own experiences based on their upbringing.

Many times with NDEs, people experience similar, though not entirely same, experiences. Some see people while others see 'Jesus', some see a bright light while others see nothing, some feel love and acceptance while others feel nothing, some feel a god (or God) while others feel a presence, etc.
We see it within belief systems as well. Some 'know', when speaking of God, something means XYZ while others 'know' that same something means ABC.
I wonder how much of our desires have an impact on our experiences and what's seen as truth?
Or are all these people who see different things than you wrong?
Or is there a middle ground?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Re: Self fulfilling experiences

Post #2

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

What about the scientific method? It is neutral in this sense. So I use the scientific method. So what about experiment or the way to discovery? I'm completely free of bias.

Like finding God with radio-astronomy and having the results analyzed on "ghost radar" setting. Fantastic! Is it the child's play? Telling children how the World really is?

Well, well, whatever it is, I'm sure there's a scientific route to it! Let's share, scientifically! :approve: :D
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

William
Savant

Post #3

Post by William »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am We've all heard of NDEs and OBEs - some may know one who had such an experience (or even had one ourselves!!). Listening to Kristy Salisbury's experience, for example, and reading up on it a bit, she struck on something I've long considered highly likely: people tend to create their own experiences based on their upbringing.

Many times with NDEs, people experience similar, though not entirely same, experiences. Some see people while others see 'Jesus', some see a bright light while others see nothing, some feel love and acceptance while others feel nothing, some feel a god (or God) while others feel a presence, etc.
We see it within belief systems as well. Some 'know', when speaking of God, something means XYZ while others 'know' that same something means ABC.
I wonder how much of our desires have an impact on our experiences and what's seen as truth?
While my thread The Three Biblical Interpretations About Afterlife focus on those[[1] [2] & [3]], the position [3] also acknowledges that it does not matter if you are religious or not. The next phase experience will unfold [be created by the individual] for each of us based upon our beliefs, attitudes, underlying subconscious motivations etc, so in that, the experiences will all be 'truth' for the ones experiencing whatever they create for themselves to experience.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

nobspeople wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:04 am I wonder how much of our desires have an impact on our experiences and what's seen as truth?
It appears to me that everybody has a bias which is to say we tend to favor reasoning and evidence that supports our pet ideas and ignore or explain away reasoning that may falsify those cherished concepts. So desires as well as fears have a very significant impact on what we conclude to be true.
Yes, we often see those who disagree with us as wrong, of course. If I think A is true, and somebody says that A is false, then as far as I'm concerned they are denying a truth which is wrong by definition.
In some cases I think there's room to disagree if I think I can be wrong and the person who disagrees with me can be right. So yes, there often is a middle ground if that's what you mean.

Now, bias can be a big problem if it blinds us to knowledge, and bias often does blind us to knowledge. One approach I take to overcoming bias is to argue for the other person's position in a sincere effort to substantiate it. It's amazing how I can see the errors I may have made and the strengths of the other person's point of view if I argue for it.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Aetixintro wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:50 pm [Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

What about the scientific method? It is neutral in this sense. So I use the scientific method. So what about experiment or the way to discovery? I'm completely free of bias.
Scientists and in particular psychologists often conduct double-blind studies in which both those studied and those performing the study do not know what's being tested. This approach helps to eliminate bias on the part of both groups.