How to deal with trials and tribulations

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

aapatil@cox.net

How to deal with trials and tribulations

Post #1

Post by aapatil@cox.net »

Trials and tribulations in life.
We all have trials and tribulations in life. Some more than others. When the situation is bad, we have two options. Some people despair. They loose faith in God, when they pray, and nothing happens. This can result in divorce and suicide. Others, like Job, maintain their faith, because they are convinced beyond any doubt about God’s love for them; and know that in the end they will be with God in heaven for all eternity.

It seems easy to get out of a situation where there is too much of hurt and suffering. But running away from the situation will never bring us peace. Our only peace comes from being one with God. That is why saint like St Padre Pio and St Paul who suffered much for their faith, believed, and stayed faithful to God in the midst of their pain, suffering and persecution. Furthermore, suffering and tribulations are the best time for spiritual growth, because when they are accepted with faith in God, brings us humility which enables us to know God and grow in holiness.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: How to deal with trials and tribulations

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 6:33 pm ...
The suffering in the world would still be real if I didn't exist too.
My issue here is the suffering in the world created by folks who claim to speak for a god, only don't it beat all, they can't show he exists, much less to have him the ability to think, or to speak.
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Of course, I do exist so the suffering in the world doesn't help much in proving that I or God don't exist. God, like I, may exist yet not be able to eradicate evil.
Or God doesn't exist, and the preachers have set to running around like cockroaches in a trailer park.

Ya squish one's unproven claims into the carpet, and there fetch a dozen more trying to open up the frigerator.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Re: How to deal with trials and tribulations

Post #12

Post by Purple Knight »

aapatil@cox.net wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:33 pmOthers, like Job, maintain their faith, because they are convinced beyond any doubt about God’s love for them; and know that in the end they will be with God in heaven for all eternity.
Yes, there's a question for debate here. It's basically, should you be like Job and no matter what happens to you, believe things will get better?

Well, things might get better, but I don't think we should be like Job. I don't think we should ignore our own suffering. I don't think that's healthy. Furthermore I don't think it's good for developing empathy.

Empathy leads us to sympathise with others by putting ourselves in their shoes. What would I feel if what happened to that fellow happened to me?

If Job sees a man dying of maggots on the side of the road, pure empathy leads Job to rejoice because that fellow will be with God soon. He doesn't feel sorrow in that fellow's stead, because when HE HIMSELF is dying of maggots, he feels happy. At very least, if he feels anything other than happy, he basically ignores it.

Even if God exists I think this defeats the purpose of the exercise, the exercise being existence.