Quiverfull

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Quiverfull

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Old TV 'friend' Joshy Duggar has, once again, has found legal trouble over charges of receiving and possessing material depicting the sexual abuse of children (though he says he's innocent this time). For those that may not now, Joshy have been accused, and admitted to, molesting five young girls, including some of his sisters, when he was a minor teen in 2002 and 2003.

The whole Duggar clan (who consist of, I think, about 21 children(?)) have been accused of being a part of the Quiverfull movement (a theological position held by some conservative Christian couples who belong to Christian denominations that see children as blessings from God. It thus encourages procreation, abstaining from all forms of birth control (including natural family planning) and sterilization.). While the Duggars have denied any association with said movement, saying they are "... simply Bible-believing Christians who desire to follow God's Word and apply it to our lives." and saying they are 'devout independent Baptist' who "attend a "... "home church” to worship amongst a select group of others."

For reference, below are some of the concepts to which Quiverfull followers adhere:
1) They believe God won't give them more kids than they can handle
2) Some believe they are building an army for God - or an army of conservative Christians
3) Quiverfull movement is anti-feminist & encourages a patriarchal system, according to Religion News Service
4) Some of the most prominent advocate have been women
5) Movement has been linked to sexual abuse in the last

Much of the Quiverfull movement seems to be typical Christian concepts.
1) Many Christians make this claim and has been taught in ever single Christian church I've ever attended
2) I know only a few Christians who've made this claim (heavily implied) but seeing how many Christians sects pop out kids like rabbits seems to indicated this is, at least, an implied idea
3) Seeing how angry many Christians get when they hear of a female church leader, this makes sense
4) Every Christian outlet I've seen has a woman in a form of support behind 'their man', of course; and this would make sense considering #3 above (not many women would want to challenge the male dominated industry of Christianity, though we are seeing more as times change)
5) Catholic priest, for example.

Can't much of the Quiverfull movement be shown to be typical Christian thinking?
Is the Quiverfull group simply a way for typical Christians to feel 'special'?
Or is this movement created by the non-religious masses in an effort to segregate Christianity?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Quiverfull

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Purple Knight in post #4]
The sad part is the Christian households who don't use fear and ignorance.
That's not true for all Christian households.
People can't be blamed for adopting the strategy that works.
Which is why, I think, religion will never go away no matter how much we may learn about the environment around us.
I don't even think refraining from reproducing saves the planet even a little, because some reproductive opportunist like a Duggar will just fill that niche with an extra baby. You don't save the Earth a baby when you decide not to have one; it still gets born, it's just not yours.
I would include things like the Duggars in the 'no reproduction for 20-30 years' idea. Forced sterilization should be an option to consider as well IMO (even though many will balk at this idea I'm sure).

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to RightReason in post #5]
I have absolutely no problem with being open to life and accepting whatever children come your way. As well as not actively doing anything to prevent said children. Seems respectful and beautiful and beneficial.
Seems that's a very selfish aspect, considering we all have to share the world and resources. Simply because you CAN reproduce like rabbits doesn't mean you SHOULD.
I wish more people saw children as the blessing they are.
Truly. As well as being expensive and time consuming. If everyone saw children like this (and not a result of sex or continuing blood lines or 'someone else's problem') I think less children would be born.
That’s simply a basic principle of trust which should be held by all Christians.
Which is why I posted the question.
I would need to know what your definition of feminism is.
The definition & examples I provided wasn't only my own, but a combination of research on the topic
But is it true that the Quiverfull movement has higher incidences of sexual abuse than the general population?
A good question. I'm not sure as I haven't researched that exhaustively, but if even ONE example of sexual abuse can be singled out in ANY Christian organization, it's an enormous problem. No, Christian aren't perfect but they have the 'highest example' to live up to and, as such, should be even less likely to make these wrong decisions than that of a non-Christian.
Again, what has been taught? That children are a blessing?
Yes
Catholic priest for example what?
Sexual abuse (in the OP, both items #'d 5 correlate)
You have an awful lot going on in this thread. Not sure which things you think are typical Christian thinking.
You already agreed some of QF ideals are basic Christian thinking.
I think the purpose of your thread might be to mock this group or at least present them in an unfavorable way.
You can think that and be wrong at the same time. I don't need to mock anything Christian - they're good enough at that themselves - much better than anything I can do.
The purpose of the thread was to discuss QF and how it relates to Christianity (or not).

Thanks for you participation.

RightReason
Under Probation

Post #13

Post by RightReason »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 am
The bible contains no explicit prohibition of artificiel methods of birth control.
A topic for another thread, but yes, one can derive from Scripture that the creator of life would not be contra (against) life. There is the story of Onin, as well as all of Genesis. God designed the human body in a certain way. Quite odd to think God's work needed tweaked. Being open to life and not blocking/altering/hindering the body to work as it was designed is actually what is best for man and God knew that.

I'm heading out of town tomorrow, but maybe you can think about this for a few days and ask yourself that why did every Christian denomination preach against the immorality of contraception until the 1930's. That's fairly recent in time. What changed? Does truth change?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #14

Post by JehovahsWitness »

RightReason wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:29 pm
JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 2:37 am
The bible contains no explicit prohibition of artificiel methods of birth control.
A topic for another thread, but yes, ...
By saying "yes" I take it you are agreeing that "the bible contains no explicit prohibition of artificiel methods of birth control". Is that why you said "yes"?

RELATED POSTS

Why did God execute Onan ?
viewtopic.php?p=779170#p779170

When does life begin?
viewtopic.php?p=904476#p904476

What is the Christian view of having babies?
viewtopic.php?p=1039129#p1039129
To read learn please go to other posts related to ....

SEX ,MARRIAGE, BABIES & CHILDREN
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8