The Lovely Bible - The Ethics and Morality

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

The Lovely Bible - The Ethics and Morality

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

The Bible is lovely with all its metaphors and other literary tricks blended with actual story as message to the Future for all of us to benefit from!

The Old Testament
So it starts as conviction that God has created the Universe and all in it.
Within all the twists and turns,
the Bible lays down The 10 Commandments.
With lots of life's lessons to be learned, poetic justice among them.

The New Testament
It begins with an agenda of creating Heaven on Earth, after all the formalities:
Matthew 6:9-13
9 "This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' "
We are warned about the ill fate of Jesus in various ways as death on the torturous crosses and how Jesus defeats death itself. The 1000 Jesus who have met injustice and died by cruelty, but victorious still and gone to Heaven in all their brilliance of goodness.
The rest of the New Testament is about the aftermath and final best wishes to the Readers.

For discussion, now, why are people objecting so much to the Bible?
It starts in an evil World, trying to impart meaning and hope for a better future yet so much "howling" is created. I guess the World is still evil to some degree, having thrown off the worst of it, hopefully. I mean, the reincarnations, also of the worthy children, seems to be a badly hidden police game or Alfred Hitchcock movie. It can't be it. So why the outcry? Leave the religious alone? Complain about the meaning of life itself, perhaps?
Would the Atheists ever make the World a better place themselves "with their scientific reasoning"? Do ethics and morality have a biconditional relation with being religious? Does life require the fine touches of the religious? All the best!
Last edited by Aetixintro on Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Savant

Re: The Lovely Bible - The Ethics and Morality

Post #41

Post by 1213 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:07 pm
1213 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 am
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 pm ...Do you really think that the crusaders, the Inquisition, and the witch hunters knew nothing of the Bible passages speaking of love? What good did those passages do for them?
If they knew, why do you think they didn’t believe those teachings?
You're not answering my questions. Did you ever read that we are to "do unto others as we want them to do to us"? If you want others to answer your questions, then you are to answer their questions. When you answer my questions, I will answer yours.
The problem is, I really don’t know what they knew. But, because of how they acted, it is difficult to believe they knew.

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #42

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

1213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:27 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 1:07 pm
1213 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:53 am
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 pm ...Do you really think that the crusaders, the Inquisition, and the witch hunters knew nothing of the Bible passages speaking of love? What good did those passages do for them?
If they knew, why do you think they didn’t believe those teachings?
You're not answering my questions. Did you ever read that we are to "do unto others as we want them to do to us"? If you want others to answer your questions, then you are to answer their questions. When you answer my questions, I will answer yours.
The problem is, I really don’t know what they knew. But, because of how they acted, it is difficult to believe they knew.
You're stalling. You don't know if you've read the Golden Rule? And it's easy enough to realize that the crusaders, the Inquisition, and the witch hunters knew well the passages you quoted about love--Jesus style.

I won't answer your question.

brunumb
Savant

Post #43

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm ...
Perhaps the Bible is guilty of giving mixed messages. Everyone seems to take from the Bible exactly what suits their own agenda.
I think it is not Bible’s fault, if people take only part that fits to their own agenda. It is unfortunate thing and no wonder if then people have difficulties to understand anything.
But if the Bible can so easily feed into bad agenda, then the Bible is clearly not delivering the message it should. Inspired by an infallible god but read by fallible people, God should have anticipated the disconnect and made sure the correct message always got through.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:26 pm
brunumb wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 8:55 pm ...
Perhaps the Bible is guilty of giving mixed messages. Everyone seems to take from the Bible exactly what suits their own agenda.
I think it is not Bible’s fault, if people take only part that fits to their own agenda. It is unfortunate thing and no wonder if then people have difficulties to understand anything.
Surely you don't mean folks can't understand em them nothing, unless they have em them a bible to tell em how?
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Miles wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 4:06 pm.... tell me, assuming I'm wrong about your reason for seeing "nothing unlovely about the bible in the verses above, why do you see such Biblical approvals as...lovely"....?
I didn't mention "biblical approvals" , I said ...
JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 3:10 pm
The bible is perfectly lovely.

I see nothing unlovely about the bible in the verses above.

Why? Because there is nothing unlovely about reporting truth.

A reality might not be always be "lovely", when it comes to the human condition it is often tragic, unpalitable even evil or discusting, but hiding such things or denying their existence is not lovely. Like ignoring an infection, not exposing what is evil, that can only lead to more evil. When the bible exposes mankind's fallen condition, as disturbing as it might be, it is shining a light on what is bad. The bible itself is not bad for this exposure, the bible is not to blame for reporting what is bad, especially when it also highlights God's justice in his response and gives us a hope such things will end one day.

PSALMS 43:3 NWT

Send out your light and your truth, May these lead me
Reports about negative things cannot be described as "lovely" (a report about child abuse, rape, murder or injustice, cannot be described as "lovely" or delightful in itself). Most of us recoil from such things and would, in an ideal world, prefer never to hear mention of them, but the exposure, the mechanism itself, the platform or stage which lifts such vile things up for public examination and recification is always "lovely".

In short, light is always lovely as it helps us see the difference between what is beautiful and healthful what is ugly and harmful. In my opinion, the bible does just that.

PSALMS 36:9 LEV

For a fountain of life [is] with You, "" In Your light we see light..

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #46

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 pm
Why? Because there is nothing unlovely about reporting truth.

JW
Which causes one to wonder why present JW Elders don't take the same stand as these former JW elders.
Former Jehovah's Witness elders call for mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse

Two former Jehovah’s Witness elders have called for mandatory reporting of child sexual abuse, saying the organisation believes it is “answerable only to God”.

Duncan Corbett, who was an elder for 18 years, told the independent inquiry into child sexual abuse that the protection of minors and the handling of abuse claims must be taken out of the church’s hands. “Let them deal with the sin and the authorities handle the crime,” he told a hearing in London.

Lloyd Evans, another former elder who now campaigns against religious fundamentalism, said: “This is a group that feels they are answerable only to God … They don’t feel as though they need to yield to any regulations that are imposed on them.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... xual-abuse

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

William
Savant

Post #47

Post by William »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 pm

A reality might not be always be "lovely", when it comes to the human condition it is often tragic, unpalatable even evil or disgusting, but hiding such things or denying their existence is not lovely. Like ignoring an infection, not exposing what is evil, that can only lead to more evil. When the bible exposes mankind's fallen condition, as disturbing as it might be, it is shining a light on what is bad. The bible itself is not bad for this exposure, the bible is not to blame for reporting what is bad, especially when it also highlights God's justice in his response and gives us a hope such things will end one day.
Hope that Jesus will come back and "make it so" and if not, well not to worry because there is always the next phase to look forward to.

Reports about negative things cannot be described as "lovely" (a report about child abuse, rape, murder or injustice, cannot be described as "lovely" or delightful in itself). Most of us recoil from such things and would, in an ideal world, prefer never to hear mention of them, but the exposure, the mechanism itself, the platform or stage which lifts such vile things up for public examination and recification is always "lovely".
There are lots of lovely things happening in the world right now. Mostly they are concealed behind a fog of ugly. If it is not the News, it is the knock on the door. I think focus on doom and gloom alone, is a type of worshiping.
In short, light is always lovely as it helps us see the difference between what is beautiful and healthful what is ugly and harmful. In my opinion, the bible does just that.
Yeah. I like the part where Lots daughters get him back for him offering them to the towns menfolk so the visiting Lords were not raped.
They got their dad drunk and raped him.
Of course they talked themselves into it by justifying it as 'preserving the seed of their father'...so beautiful really...

Or it's ugly but sometimes the ugly has to be lifted up under a strong light in order to examine why some ugly is worse than other ugly and some ugly is beautiful really...

The only hypocrisy is if those lifting up ugly [beautiful really] ideas of The Creator, care not to acknowledge said ugly bits as part of the deal, they present a false image to replace that...

Evil in a God is an ugly thing, but maybe not at all...Wabi Sabi

Last edited by William on Thu May 13, 2021 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brunumb
Savant

Post #48

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 11:09 pm A reality might not be always be "lovely", when it comes to the human condition it is often tragic, unpalitable even evil or discusting, but hiding such things or denying their existence is not lovely. Like ignoring an infection, not exposing what is evil, that can only lead to more evil.
That is exactly how I feel after hearing accounts of child sex abuse within the Jehovah's Witnesses.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Savant

Post #49

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:10 pm ...
But if the Bible can so easily feed into bad agenda, then the Bible is clearly not delivering the message it should. Inspired by an infallible god but read by fallible people, God should have anticipated the disconnect and made sure the correct message always got through.
No message goes through, if people refuse to hear or understand, when people are allowed to be free. And I think it is good that God has given freedom, unlike totalitarian leaders of this world would do.

Savant

Post #50

Post by 1213 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 5:48 pm ...And it's easy enough to realize that the crusaders, the Inquisition, and the witch hunters knew well the passages you quoted about love--Jesus style.
Unfortunately there seems to be no evidence for that.