The Lovely Bible - The Ethics and Morality

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

The Lovely Bible - The Ethics and Morality

Post #1

Post by Aetixintro »

The Bible is lovely with all its metaphors and other literary tricks blended with actual story as message to the Future for all of us to benefit from!

The Old Testament
So it starts as conviction that God has created the Universe and all in it.
Within all the twists and turns,
the Bible lays down The 10 Commandments.
With lots of life's lessons to be learned, poetic justice among them.

The New Testament
It begins with an agenda of creating Heaven on Earth, after all the formalities:
Matthew 6:9-13
9 "This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name, 10 your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us today our daily bread. 12 And forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from the evil one.' "
We are warned about the ill fate of Jesus in various ways as death on the torturous crosses and how Jesus defeats death itself. The 1000 Jesus who have met injustice and died by cruelty, but victorious still and gone to Heaven in all their brilliance of goodness.
The rest of the New Testament is about the aftermath and final best wishes to the Readers.

For discussion, now, why are people objecting so much to the Bible?
It starts in an evil World, trying to impart meaning and hope for a better future yet so much "howling" is created. I guess the World is still evil to some degree, having thrown off the worst of it, hopefully. I mean, the reincarnations, also of the worthy children, seems to be a badly hidden police game or Alfred Hitchcock movie. It can't be it. So why the outcry? Leave the religious alone? Complain about the meaning of life itself, perhaps?
Would the Atheists ever make the World a better place themselves "with their scientific reasoning"? Do ethics and morality have a biconditional relation with being religious? Does life require the fine touches of the religious? All the best!
Last edited by Aetixintro on Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Tcg
Savant

Re: The Lovely Bible - The Ethics and Morality

Post #11

Post by Tcg »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:09 pm The Bible's version of maximally 6 years as slave was a big step upwards in terms of ethics and morality at the time it was written.
You failed to read the reference Miles used to support his statement. It includes this verse:
Leviticus 25:

46 You can bequeath them to your children as inherited property and can make them slaves for life, but you must not rule over your fellow Israelites ruthlessly.
"Slaves for life" is at least potentially much longer than 6 years.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 10:09 pm [Replying to Miles in post #3]
Btw, Atheist "scientific view" is not one view.
The "scientific view" is not necessarily an atheistic one. Plenty of theists agree with the findings of science.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #13

Post by Miles »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:55 pm
Miles wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:12 pm
Aetixintro wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 am .
The Bible is lovely with all its metaphors and other literary tricks blended with actual story as message to the Future for all of us to benefit from!
I particularly like the part where god puts his stamp of approval on slavery. Giving people the right to own other human beings and to even pass them down to their heirs, just like they would a chamber pot. (Leviticus 25:44-46).
Do you think atheists are immune to enslaving others? Stalin wasn't.

As if that's my point. Image

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #14

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to Tcg in post #12]

I was thinking of this one: Exodus 21:2-4
(Hebrew Servants)
2“If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.
All good. I thought I was right regardless of the Leviticus quote. I was wrong. Thanks, Tcg. :approve:
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to Miles in post #14]

Implicitly, it's your point because you claim Christianity isn't worth it as religion and guidance for the many, but the Atheist is! :!:

Tcg
Savant

Post #16

Post by Tcg »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:19 pm [Replying to Tcg in post #12]

I was thinking of this one: Exodus 21:2-4
(Hebrew Servants)
2“If you buy a Hebrew servant, he is to serve you for six years. But in the seventh year, he shall go free, without paying anything. 3If he comes alone, he is to go free alone; but if he has a wife when he comes, she is to go with him. 4If his master gives him a wife and she bears him sons or daughters, the woman and her children shall belong to her master, and only the man shall go free.
All good. I thought I was right regardless of the Leviticus quote. I was wrong. Thanks, Tcg. :approve:
You're welcome Aetixintro. Yes, the treatment of Israelites by Israelites was very different from the treatment of non-Israelites by Israelites.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #17

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Aetixintro wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 3:36 am . Does life require the fine touches of the religious?
I dont know what is meant by "the fine touches of the religious" but I would say that while religion is not essential for life, like art and love, it seems to be a fundamental part of human nature.

All human societies naturally include the expression of some kind of belief in the supernatural. While perhaps most stop short of theorizing on a "God gene" the prévalence of religions seem to indicate to some that humans are naturally predisposed to be receptive to religious ideas.

To read more please go to other posts related to POSTS RELATED to ...

RELIGION, CHRISTIANITY and ...JEHOVAH'S WITNESSES
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

Miles wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 11:17 pm As if that's my point. Image.
I see that you don't bother to post what your point was in citing the Bible as a work that condones slavery. Do you know what your point was? My obvious point is that anybody, regardless of religious position, can practice the enslavement of others. The Bible, then, is no worse than what some atheists have done.

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:53 pm ...Do you really think that the crusaders, the Inquisition, and the witch hunters knew nothing of the Bible passages speaking of love? What good did those passages do for them?
If they knew, why do you think they didn’t believe those teachings?

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:52 pm Anybody who has read Revelation knows that it does not in fact come down to these teachings.
Please explain what do you mean with that?
Tcg wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 4:52 pmAs has been pointed out many, many times, atheists aren't the only ones who reject the bible. I've never seen a single atheist trying to persuade anyone to reject the concept of love. Disagreeing that the bible is the product of some unprovable supernatural being is not evidence of some sort of rebellion against decency.
Unfortunately, many seem to want exactly that. Also, interesting thing is:

He who doesn't love doesn't know God, for God is love.
1 John 4:8

We know and have believed the love which God has for us. God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16

In my experience, many atheists deceive people to reject God and one can only wonder why is that.