Banned

God created us to provide goods and services for others

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Media Matters, via Fark
Sean Hannity wrote: ...
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the quoted statement is true and factual.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

William
Savant

Re: God created us to provide goods and services for others

Post #2

Post by William »

If "us" refers to those who think they are created and do this service providing, it would be true and factual to them

But is it a good argument? Did God also create money as a means in which these services are aheived and if so then we have to wonder why God didnt just put that in us rather that attempt to entice it out of us.

When observing overall human behaviour the answer looks to be "no" God did not create us to do or be anything. Rather God created situations where we could choose to serve or not, but also "consequences"

Would the human specie benefit by serving itself (through each other) in a manner which is not enticed (promise of reward) but logically worked out as a given...

Human history shows that we are lazy unless propelled. Adam likely had no time to think outside his box-task in naming things. Humans still haven't named all things...lazy...or busy The devil and idle hands

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 2:
William wrote: If "us" refers to those who think they are created and do this service providing, it would be true and factual to them
"If..."

That hardly gets us close to the truth. Just cause someone believes em something, that don't make it truth.
William wrote: When observing overall human behaviour the answer looks to be "no" God did not create us to do or be anything. Rather God created situations where we could choose to serve or not, but also "consequences"
"Looks to be" does not establish truth.

So now we have another claim to challenge...
William wrote: Rather God created situations where we could choose to serve or not, but also "consequences"
I challenge folks to put em truth to that claim (as I note William did present it as a "looks to be" - and find such to be an honest attempt to explain stuff)
William wrote: Would the human specie benefit by serving itself (through each other) in a manner which is not enticed (promise of reward) but logically worked out as a given...

Human history shows that we are lazy unless propelled. Adam likely had no time to think outside his box-task in naming things. Humans still haven't named all things...lazy...or busy The devil and idle hands
Barring that whole evidence of Adam and such, I hear ya, and suffer me some of that "idle hands" and devilitry myself :wave:

You're good with words.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 amPlease offer some means to confirm the quoted statement is true and factual.
Can I also dispute it, because I do.

I dispute it on the basis that I don't want any goods and services. I would prefer a world where I'm born into self-sufficiency and am allowed to stay that way. You see this that I'm doing now and enjoy? Debating? I don't need electricity and a computer for this garbage. I just need a horse, a neighbour, a small mouse, and a baked potato.

So because I don't want any goods and services, God didn't create anyone to make goods and services for me. Since (go by the lore) everyone has the free will to want this same thing as I do, God couldn't have created anyone to be anyone else's slave. He couldn't do that unless he violated free will and made at least some people so that they would necessarily absolutely desire slaves.

And then those would be the real slaves, without any free will to decide for themselves what they want.

Complicated, I know, but I believe it's a knockdown.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Purple Knight wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:48 pm I don't need electricity and a computer for this garbage. I just need a horse, a neighbour, a small mouse, and a baked potato.
=D> :bow:

Dangit, I spilt my drink, and ain't got me nothing to sop it up with!
-Punkinhead Martin

bjs1
Sage

Post #6

Post by bjs1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 10:37 am From Media Matters, via Fark
For debate:

Joey, I have one question to help me understand. Do you believe life to be completely pointless and meaningless, having no purpose of any kind?
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by JoeyKnothead »

bjs1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 pm
For debate:

Joey, I have one question to help me understand. Do you believe life to be completely pointless and meaningless, having no purpose of any kind?
Edit out what I did say, to say me this...

Please address the topic of the OP, and not the one that presented it.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by Purple Knight »

bjs1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 pmJoey, I have one question to help me understand. Do you believe life to be completely pointless and meaningless, having no purpose of any kind?
I understand that this wasn't for me, but I also understand that you're likely to get a dodge precisely because it's hard to say no to a question like that.

Even so, if everyone is living for someone else, trying to anticipate their wants and needs instead of his own, that's a net loss in happiness out of a simple lack of telepathy. And if the statement that our purpose is to provide goods and services for others, what would be the point of that besides happiness? To perhaps have stuff lying around that doesn't make us happy, that we don't want or need?

I'll answer and I don't think life is pointless. I don't know what the meaning of life is, but it seems to me that it definitely isn't to be somebody else's slave, or even to all be each other's slaves, or to be so efficient at making ping-pong balls the best and fastest that you outcompete everyone else and make a lot of money. You're still doing something all day every day that if you don't like it, may go against the purpose of life.
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:20 pm=D> :bow:

Dangit, I spilt my drink, and ain't got me nothing to sop it up with!
You even spelt spilt correctly.

Little moments of happiness like these that happen without money, without trying to outcompete anyone (okay, okay, I have a magnificent sense of humour and ego issues), and without doing it all day because you have to.

There's your meaning of life. It might not be correct but it's more correct than the idea that the meaning of life is to all be each other's slaves.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 8:
Purple Knight wrote: I understand that this wasn't for me, but I also understand that you're likely to get a dodge precisely because it's hard to say no to a question like that.

Even so, if everyone is living for someone else, trying to anticipate their wants and needs instead of his own, that's a net loss in happiness out of a simple lack of telepathy. And if the statement that our purpose is to provide goods and services for others, what would be the point of that besides happiness? To perhaps have stuff lying around that doesn't make us happy, that we don't want or need?

I'll answer and I don't think life is pointless. I don't know what the meaning of life is, but it seems to me that it definitely isn't to be somebody else's slave, or even to all be each other's slaves, or to be so efficient at making ping-pong balls the best and fastest that you outcompete everyone else and make a lot of money. You're still doing something all day every day that if you don't like it, may go against the purpose of life.
Very such.

We'll all find our purpose, and all such as that, where we do.

And not never be able to show us a god put it there.

Take my nephew, please.

All he does is beat me at the video games all day, but he has him a purpose - to crash about the kitchen come breakfast time, to wake me up so's I don't miss me none of me none of it. Ya gotta love him for just him that alone.
Purple Knight wrote: You even spelt spilt correctly.
We'd be us remorsed if we didn't point out how proud we are for your spelling you 'spelt' corectly.
Purple Knight wrote: Little moments of happiness like these that happen without money, without trying to outcompete anyone
I was me married there once, and've had me a bunch of old ladies. I've long since given me up on the notion I could outcompete me anything.

Cept maybe being shortern me a moose.
Purple Knight wrote: (okay, okay, I have a magnificent sense of humour and ego issues)
I sure preciate you apointing that out, or Ida never been me able to tell.

That's what I like about folks like us, we know we're the smartest one in the room, we just don't feel us the need to let em all know we know it. We're us humble like that.

Purple Knight wrote: ...
There's your meaning of life. It might not be correct but it's more correct than the idea that the meaning of life is to all be each other's slaves.
I wish you'd tell that to the pretty thing there, for she's about to chore me to death.

"Corectly" see what I did there? :tongue:
-Punkinhead Martin

bjs1
Sage

Post #10

Post by bjs1 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 pm
bjs1 wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:25 pm
For debate:

Edit out what I did say, to say me this...

Please address the topic of the OP, and not the one that presented it.
I am, as always, completely uninterested in debating any person. I am only seeking a straight answer.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin