Christians: How do you demonstrate your relationship with God is real?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Rational Atheist
Student

Christians: How do you demonstrate your relationship with God is real?

Post #1

Post by Rational Atheist »

Most Christians, especially evangelicals, claim to know that God exists, because they claim to have a "personal relationship" with him. But I have yet to see a single Christian demonstrate that this "relationship" exists in any objective sense outside of the imagination of the believer. One would think that a relationship with the most powerful being in existence would be demonstrable to outside observers, yes? If a relationship cannot be detected by anyone other than the person who claims to have the relationship, why should anyone else grant that it is real? In any other context, someone claiming to talk to their "friend" who never talks back or provides any evidence of its existence would be considered mental illness. I am not trying to come across condescending here. I am genuinely curious if any of the Christians on here can produce any evidence that the "relationship" and "conversations" that they have with God are distinguishable from the imaginary to outside observers.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Christians: How do you demonstrate your relationship with God is real?

Post #41

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:40 am
Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:37 am Is that the extent of your relationship with God? A book not written by God and one certainly not addressed to you personally.

Tcg
Tcg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm This has already been addressed.
That has already been addressed

JW
I must have missed it. Please provide a link to support your claim.

Tcg
I'm sure your reading skills are sufficient to find it yourself.

Enjoy,

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #42

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:44 am
Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:42 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:40 am
Tcg wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:37 am Is that the extent of your relationship with God? A book not written by God and one certainly not addressed to you personally.

Tcg
Tcg wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:28 pm This has already been addressed.
That has already been addressed

JW

Enjoy,

JW

I must have missed it. Please provide a link to support your claim.

Tcg
I can but I'm sure your reading skills are sufficient.
If you indeed can, then please do so. Of course if you can't, that is evidence of its own.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #43

Aetixintro wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 pm
Note on mental illness and religion, mental illness is defined here: https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/V - Mental and behavioural disorders.

Religion has proven historically to carry sound minds in sound bodies.
I don't think that the OP is saying that everyone that has a religious belief is logically insane. Some religious people have been committed by healthcare professionals to mental institutions but by far the majority have not.

JW

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #44

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:42 am
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:06 pm
I just got done examining the scriptures, and what you said isn't so.
To what are you refering? Please provide a direct quote to what I said that "is not so".
I just posted that direct quotation on my post #28. You know, the post you're replying to now. Where did you get the idea that the Bible says that Jehovah will deal with those that falsely speak in his name in His own time? I can understand the Watchtower Society wanting Jehovah to defer his punishment until later whether the Bible says so or not.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #45

Paul of Tarsus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:27 pm Where did you get the idea that the Bible says that Jehovah will deal with those that falsely speak in his name in His own time?
This point has already been addressed.
viewtopic.php?p=1040662#p1040662

JW

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #46

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 3:23 pm
Paul of Tarsus wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:27 pm Where did you get the idea that the Bible says that Jehovah will deal with those that falsely speak in his name in His own time?
This point has already been addressed.
viewtopic.php?p=1040662#p1040662
Oh sure, Jehovah will eventually damn sinners, but he still wants his followers to make life hell for sinners right now.

I've often thought that one of the biggest mistakes Christians ever made was to put searchable Bibles on the internet. Anybody who wants to find all the awful things in the Bible can make good use of those Bibles. I do so all the time.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #47

Post by JoeyKnothead »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:50 am
Aetixintro wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 10:57 pm
Note on mental illness and religion, mental illness is defined here: https://icd.who.int/browse10/2016/en#/V - Mental and behavioural disorders.

Religion has proven historically to carry sound minds in sound bodies.
I don't think that the OP is saying that everyone that has a religious belief is logically insane. Some religious people have been committed by healthcare professionals to mental institutions but by far the majority have not.

JW
As someone who got fetched on off more'n a couple times, yeah, not all religious folks are insane, and not all the insane are religious.

In my understanding, "they" call it "illusions off grandeur". There's some who think they're this great big ol how do ya do. Only they ain't em so big of a how do ya do.

Kinda hard to be God and live out of a cardboard box.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin