Where was God?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Where was God?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Adam and Eve sinned, as the story goes, an introduced 'sin' into creation, based on one story theme.

We hear (or read) about the serpent, sneaking around all sinister-like, in The Garden, telling Eve what she was told isn't right and she won't die if she does this. She munches on the apple, then gets Adam to do the same. They saw they were naked and covered up. THEN... God strolls in, looking for them, but can't find them (Genesis 3 and on).

So where did God go, that he couldn't see what was happening?
Shopping at the Deity Center for discounts?
I mean, seriously. Was he not paying attention? Did he not care? Was he not 'omni-present' at that time?

And why couldn't he find them when he was looking for them?
Did he forget his glasses?

For a deity that's supposed to be all powerful, above all else, all knowing and seeing, he sure seemed to drop the ball during this critical time.
Or was that the plan all along? If so, that doesn't seem very loving and somewhat deceitful.

Where was God when this was happening?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Where was God?

Post #2

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:32 pm Adam and Eve sinned, as the story goes, an introduced 'sin' into creation, based on one story theme.

We hear (or read) about the serpent, sneaking around all sinister-like, in The Garden, telling Eve what she was told isn't right and she won't die if she does this. She munches on the apple, then gets Adam to do the same. They saw they were naked and covered up. THEN... God strolls in, looking for them, but can't find them (Genesis 3 and on)....
The story tells Yahweh asks "Where are you?" and "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?". I think that how He asks the questions tells He already knows, but wants people to answer to them.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:21 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:32 pm Adam and Eve sinned, as the story goes, an introduced 'sin' into creation, based on one story theme.

We hear (or read) about the serpent, sneaking around all sinister-like, in The Garden, telling Eve what she was told isn't right and she won't die if she does this. She munches on the apple, then gets Adam to do the same. They saw they were naked and covered up. THEN... God strolls in, looking for them, but can't find them (Genesis 3 and on)....
The story tells Yahweh asks "Where are you?" and "Who told you that you were naked? Have you eaten from the tree that I commanded you not to eat from?". I think that how He asks the questions tells He already knows, but wants people to answer to them.
So how would he ask them if he really didn't know?

brunumb
Savant

Post #4

Post by brunumb »

nobspeople wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:32 pm So where did God go, that he couldn't see what was happening?
I mean, seriously. Was he not paying attention? Did he not care? Was he not 'omni-present' at that time?
As far as the story goes, God is clearly guilty of depraved indifference.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Aetixintro
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Aetixintro »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]
nobspeople wrote:So where did God go, that he couldn't see what was happening?
This is the earliest example of 2 primordial forces fighting for the souls of humanity. Maybe humanity needed to learn the hard way? Maybe the Devil just took advantage of naivety? I, for one, certainly don't believe God planned for evil among human beings and else in nature. No! It's the battle between the 2 primordial forces of Good and Evil!
I'm cool! :) - Stronger Religion every day! Also by "mathematical Religion", the eternal forms, God closing the door on corrupt humanity, possibly!

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #6

Post by benchwarmer »

Aetixintro wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 1:31 am [Maybe the Devil just took advantage of naivety? I, for one, certainly don't believe God planned for evil among human beings and else in nature. No! It's the battle between the 2 primordial forces of Good and Evil!
So you are saying that God didn't know the Devil was in the garden with Adam and Eve? It's either that or God allowed the Devil to roam in the garden knowing full well what was going to happen - unless He is not actually sure of what's going to happen.

Any way you look at it, the God character in the story is the culpable one, not the humans. It only seems to be apologists who want to shift all blame from the all knowing, all powerful, all loving deity and land the blame on the humans who had no full knowledge of what was happening.

Let's put it this way, one character tells you not to eat from the tree. Another one says go for it, you won't be harmed. How can you possibly know which one is telling the truth? Even if you think the first character is the one in charge, what are you supposed to think of this character who puts a tree that will harm you in your living space? Is this god not capable of removing a tree? Or perhaps enjoys watching you be tempted knowing that you will eventually choose wrong?

IMHO, the whole thing is ludicrous, both as a literal story or an allegory.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Post by JehovahsWitness »

1213 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:21 pm
Exactly, He was giving them the opportunity to tell their side of the story; to explain themselves so they could reveal their motive. Parents do this all the time, they ask their children what they ( the parent) already knows so they can see something more important than what they have done, namely, how the child feels about what they have done.

JW

How could an omniscient God not have known what the bad choices his creation would make?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 14#p848314

For more details please go to other posts related to...

ADAM &EVE, ORIGINAL SIN and ...THE GARDEN OF EDEN
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Miles wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 4:50 pm ...
So how would he ask them if he really didn't know?
I think that is a good question. If He would not have known, He would not have had reason to ask those questions, especially right next to them. To think He didn’t know would be like saying, that parent doesn't really know where his child is when he plays whit his child and for example hides the child with a blanket and asks “where is the child, I can’t see him”.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From The OP:
nobspeople wrote: Adam and Eve sinned, as the story goes, [and] introduced 'sin' into creation, based on one story theme.
And it's been a mess ever since.
nobspeople wrote: We hear (or read) about the serpent, sneaking around all sinister-like, in The Garden, telling Eve what she was told isn't right and she won't die if she does this. She munches on the apple, then gets Adam to do the same. They saw they were naked and covered up. THEN... God strolls in, looking for them, but can't find them (Genesis 3 and on).

So where did God go, that he couldn't see what was happening?
Ya gotta remember, this is the hide and go seek champion of all time.
nobspeople wrote: ...
And why couldn't he find them when he was looking for them?
Did he forget his glasses?
They'd snuck them off behind a bush, and went to peeking em under one another's fig leaves.
nobspeople wrote: For a deity that's supposed to be all powerful, above all else, all knowing and seeing, he sure seemed to drop the ball during this critical time.
Naw, he created Republicans, that they could peek in on everybody's nekkid togetherings for him.
nobspeople wrote: ...
Where was God when this was happening?
Hiding and alaughing, thinking "They ain't never gonna find me here".
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin