Humor within the God lifestyle

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Humor within the God lifestyle

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Having a sense of humor is a good part of one's personality, IMO. We all need to laugh more than most of us do. And while not everything someone says they think is funny, is funny.
Violence and extreme suggested sexuality aside, why does it seem there's so little, or no, humor when it comes to things 'of God'.
Example:
Recently I saw a photo of a Jesus on a cross. Someone had removed the Jesus and attached it with something that appeared to be a bungee cord (a solid piece of metal made to resemble a bungee cord) that gave the appearance of Jesus bungee jumping off of the cross. The caption read something to the effect of: If the real Jesus doesn't do it for you, try bungee jumping Jesus.
Many :D 'd at it, but there were some commenting anger and disgust, saying things like they hope 'God forgives you [the poster]'.
The humor was the juxtaposition of something you didn't expect to see in relationship to Jesus, with no direct correlation to Jesus and his 'works' past the cross itself (which itself, is merely a symbol and denotes no power outside what people attach to it).
While Christians do have a sense of humor that's shared with many non-Christians, they tend to get upset when things from their religious lives are used to denote any humor, sarcasm, light-heartedness or any things that make people tend to smile for the reason than to smile.
Does religion cause people to be less accepting of humor that involves their religion?
Does religion teach this, or is it something religious people tend to accept as a means to protect themselves?
Or is the problem, really, everyone else - not the Christians?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Humor within the God lifestyle

Post #11

Post by JehovahsWitness »

bjs1 wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 8:51 pm John Cleese, “The moment you got near to the figure of Christ, I mean really near, it just wasn’t funny because Christ was wise and flexible and intelligent and he didn’t have any of the things… I mean comedy is about envy, greed, malice, avarice, lust, and stupidity.”

I tend to agree with him. While there is a fair bit a comedy to be had at the expense of organized religion, there little funny about Jesus.

Take the joke from the opening post. It’s not actually a joke. It’s just mockery. A serious things is juxtaposed to a silly thing. Matt Stone and Trey Parker would say that it is the kind of joke that manatees could write. Take any two random thing – one serious and one frivolous – and put them together. Gandhi and handball. MLK Jr. and rocket skates. Francis of Assisi and cow tipping. You might get a laugh, but that’s not the same thing as being funny.
I agree, its the difference between finding humour in the general and mocking the particular. I can smile at "JESUS IS COMING, LOOK BUSY!" but not at the idea of GAY JESUS (as per the Netfix series). I haven't seen it and it may well be hilarious but making someone the target of mockery for me is not negated by whether something can be found funny. It may be genuinely funny to laugh at a cancer victims, but should we?

That's why the MONTY PYTHON team were so brillant, they were (and perhaps still are) misunderstood in some of their humour to be mocking Jesus , when in my opinion they were finding satire in the absurdities that religion had built around him. Sure the agenda to tear down all the taboos may have lead to MADONNA and LADY GAGA and may have been intentional but humour that can stand alone can also be judged alone.

JW
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #12

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:25 pm
I agree, its the difference between finding humour in the general and mocking the particular. I can smile at "JESUS IS COMING, LOOK BUSY!" but not at the idea of GAY JESUS (as per the Netfix series). I haven't seen it and it may well be hilarious but making someone the target of mockery for me is not negated by whether something can be found funny. It may be genuinely funny to laugh at a cancer victims, but should we?

JW
Why would considering the idea that Jesus may have been gay the equivalent of mockery? It is a very real possibility. Even more confusing is your connection of being gay to having cancer. Please explain.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #13

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:54 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:25 pm

JW
Why would considering the idea that Jesus may have been gay the equivalent of mockery? It is a very real possibility. Even more confusing is your connection of being gay to having cancer. Please explain.

Tcg

Well for me, (and I am only expressing my personal feelings on the matter,) depicting "a gay Jesus" would be offensive to my personal sensibilities. Just as for most normal people mocking a cancer victim would be offensive to them. I'm not suggesting being "a gay Jesus" and a cancer victims are somehow comparible but the feelings both would revoke in me would be similar. I personally would be offended because I don't believe either would be the appropriate thing to do.

My personal value system alone, not judging others that feel differently

JEHOVAH'S WITNESS
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by Purple Knight »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:25 pmIt may be genuinely funny to laugh at a cancer victims, but should we?
This drives a stake right into the heart of the issue because it's about making fun of something that isn't serious to one person (somebody else's cancer) but is probably deadly serious to another (their cancer).

Since everything is deadly serious to somebody, since there are basically infinite people, it's your choices are 1) some people are okay to offend, some aren't 2) just don't make certain jokes around certain people 3) everything's okay or 4) nothing is. Now, you can try to gauge what sorts of things are reasonable to take deadly seriously, and only a small minority would be offended by, but the hard truth is that's just a subset of 1.

It really is too bad they don't make stuff like the Monty Python movies anymore.