Banned
Banned

God and designs

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the article here:
indy100.com wrote:
Republican Deborah Martell wrote: ...
Children deserve a mom and a dad. That’s how God designed marriage and the family.
For debate, please offer some means to confirm the following:

1. The god in question exists.
2. The god in question has designs.
3. The god in question has designs about marriage.
4. The god in question has designs on the family.
5. The god in question thinks children should have a mom.
6. The god in question thinks children should have a father.

(Edit to clean up title, cause somehow I corrupted me the link into it)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Re: God and designs

Post #2

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

A quick search shows that God never featured in the origins of marriage.

https://theweek.com/articles/528746/origins-marriage
How old is the institution? The best available evidence suggests that it's about 4,350 years old. For thousands of years before that, most anthropologists believe, families consisted of loosely organized groups of as many as 30 people, with several male leaders, multiple women shared by them, and children. As hunter-gatherers settled down into agrarian civilizations, society had a need for more stable arrangements. The first recorded evidence of marriage ceremonies uniting one woman and one man dates from about 2350 B.C., in Mesopotamia. Over the next several hundred years, marriage evolved into a widespread institution embraced by the ancient Hebrews, Greeks, and Romans. But back then, marriage had little to do with love or with religion.
https://www.thespruce.com/history-of-marriage-2300616
Most ancient societies needed a secure environment for the perpetuation of the species, a system of rules to handle the granting of property rights, and the protection of bloodlines. The institution of marriage handled these needs. For example, in ancient Hebrew, the law required a man to become the husband of a deceased brother's widow.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pm From the article here:
indy100.com wrote:
Republican Deborah Martell wrote: ...
Children deserve a mom and a dad. That’s how God designed marriage and the family.
For debate, please offer some means to confirm the following:

1. The god in question exists.
2. The god in question has designs.
6. The god in question thinks children should have a father.

(Edit to clean up title, cause somehow I corrupted me the link into it)
To me, it's all about control (which is the pillar of Christianity IMO). Once there's control, the thinking is that those controlled will do what the controllers want them to do. We see this throughout Christianity even though Christians incorrectly tout free will.
The only 'claims' to marriage and family Christians can cite is what the bible says. Being there's no irrefutable proof God wrote or even inspired the bible, the absolute most Christians can claim is a belief. Which, for them, I suppose is fine. But once they try to force that belief "Well, GOD says...." that's when they create problems.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #4

Post by 1213 »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pm ...1. The god in question exists.
That I think remains a matter of belief. But, I think that this world exists as told in the Bible, is a strong evidence for God to be true and existing. Also, to say God doesn’t exist, would be same as to say love doesn’t exist. In my life love exists, therefore I can’t say He doesn’t exist.

…God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:15 pm...2. The god in question has designs.
6. The god in question thinks children should have a father...
Aren’t those obvious? At least by what the Bible tells, God created man and woman and the design has a feature that produces children which makes a family? Children don’t come without a man and a woman, which is why it can be said mom and father is needed?

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:32 am
Also, to say God doesn’t exist, would be same as to say love doesn’t exist. In my life love exists, therefore I can’t say He doesn’t exist.
As has been pointed out before, this is a flawed argument. I for example lack belief in god/gods but that doesn't mean I lack belief in love. It is clear that love exists, but ancient writers hijacking this reality and adding it to god's resume is invalid. Of course if faulty reasoning is what one needs to believe in god/gods, I doubt this obvious presentation of facts will change anyone's minds.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by Purple Knight »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:49 am
Also, to say God doesn’t exist, would be same as to say love doesn’t exist. In my life love exists, therefore I can’t say He doesn’t exist.
As has been pointed out before, this is a flawed argument. I for example lack belief in god/gods but that doesn't mean I lack belief in love. It is clear that love exists, but ancient writers hijacking this reality and adding it to god's resume is invalid. Of course if faulty reasoning is what one needs to believe in god/gods, I doubt this obvious presentation of facts will change anyone's minds.
If he wants to define God that way, let him. You can make a god of whatever you want. You can worship whatever you want. I can go live on Vulcan and do the polar opposite of what he's doing and worship logic and stoicism and we're neither of us wrong or necessarily evil since it's a matter of definition. He worships that; I worship its opposite.

The real question is whether "God is defined as love" lines up with any of the rest of the stuff in the Bible.

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:20 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:49 am
If he wants to define God that way, let him. You can make a god of whatever you want. You can worship whatever you want. I can go live on Vulcan and do the polar opposite of what he's doing and worship logic and stoicism and we're neither of us wrong or necessarily evil since it's a matter of definition. He worships that; I worship its opposite.

The real question is whether "God is defined as love" lines up with any of the rest of the stuff in the Bible.
I don't make up god/gods nor do I worship anything. God is one thing, love is another. The reality of love does not provide evidence of God and the fact that I lack belief in god/gods doesn't mean I don't love. All the stuff in the bible is irrelevant to this reality. If one claims that love is the exclusive property of and in fact is evidence of God, I'll point out that neither are true.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:49 am ...It is clear that love exists,...
I would like to know how do you know love exists?

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #9

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 4:
1213 wrote:
JoeyKnothead wrote: ...1. The god in question exists.
That I think remains a matter of belief. But, I think that this world exists as told in the Bible, is a strong evidence for God to be true and existing. Also, to say God doesn’t exist, would be same as to say love doesn’t exist. In my life love exists, therefore I can’t say He doesn’t exist.
Love indeed, with the baby rock bashing and the planet flooding.
1213 wrote: …God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16
I challenge you to show this is a truthful claim.
1213 wrote: Aren’t those obvious? At least by what the Bible tells, God created man and woman and the design has a feature that produces children which makes a family? Children don’t come without a man and a woman, which is why it can be said mom and father is needed?
I can claim to be Khal Drogo, that don't mean I am.

We're no closer to the truth of the OP's challenged claims now than we you clicked the submit button.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Tcg
Savant

Post #10

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 1:21 pm
Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:49 am ...It is clear that love exists,...
I would like to know how do you know love exists?
Because in my life love exists. Is your experience different?

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom