Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Rituals within religion - why?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Face one direction to pray.
Wearing specific pieces of clothing at specific times.
Eating specific foods.
Not eating specific foods.
Killing of animals as offerings.
Adorning the blood of an innocent animal around a door.

The list is almost endless as, within many religions, there are certain 'things' people can do or don't do, often at specific times and or for specific reasons. Some seem odd, some ridiculously stupid and others just don't make any logical sense (such is religion - there's little logic within it). But people do them because 'they're supposed to' because they 'represent' this or that.

While rituals do tend to 'help' (be it the passing of time, a sense of belonging, synchronizing of heart rates, etc), when dealing with a supreme being, what benefit do they have for it?

Surely, said being knows all (even knowing things about you that are absent in your own consciousness), so what difference does it make, to this being, what you wear when, why you face this direction instead of that, blood of an innocent animal (which is highly barbaric)?

What point do these things serve to this being?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

brunumb
Savant

Re: Rituals within religion - why?

Post #61

Post by brunumb »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 4:23 pm I never belonged to any church except the Lord's and the Congregationalists. ... I never was an Adventist--excepting that I believe in the advent of our Lord- -very glad to believe our Lord is to come again to receive the church to himself. But I never believed that about the world being burned up, nor any other things of that kind that constitute special features of the Adventist belief.
Looks like Charles Taze Russell was as adept at cherry picking as any other Bible believer. Invent a new flavour of ice cream and you will always get even a few converts who like it.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.