What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

AgnosticBoy
Guru

What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?

Post #1

Post by AgnosticBoy »

I have heard some Christians say that it is unChristian to watch anything on TV that is rated R or that displays sex, adult language, and other indecent scenes. Personally, I find that standard to be highly restrictive and perhaps even impractical given the content on a lot of television programs nowadays. I was wondering if this was the way Christians are to really be or is this debatable and perhaps there's even another more lenient standard.

I know one counter would be that the Bible describes gory details and in some cases talks about sex. So how could reading or watching of such content be immoral?

What is the Christian position(s) on rated R movies?
- Proud forum owner ∣ The Agnostic Forum

- As a non-partisan, I like to be on the side of truth. - AB

Difflugia
Prodigy

Re: What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?

Post #2

Post by Difflugia »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pmWhat is the Christian position(s) on rated R movies?
It depends on the Christian.

Most Christians that find things like R-rated movies to be un-Christian use verses like Ephesians 4:29 (there are several similar ones) as proof-texts:
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
My pronouns are he, him, and his.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pm ...
Maybe this could be applied:

...Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.
First Epistle to the Thessalonians 5:21

It is not necessary to decide is it evil, it is enough to think is it good. I don’t think it is good for a person and therefore I would recommend to not watch. But, I don’t think it is worst thing that one could do.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pmWhat is the Christian position(s) on rated R movies?

Most Christians that find things like R-rated movies to be un-Christian use verses like Ephesians 4:29 (there are several similar ones) as proof-texts:
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.
Might also depend on the movie itself. Not all R rated movies have the same amount of 'X' that denotes an R rating.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From the OP:
AgnosticBoy wrote: What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?
The genitals gotta be em big as a donkey's and the money shot has to be as much as a horse's.

Best I can tell.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:34 pm From the OP:
AgnosticBoy wrote: What is the Christian position on Rated R movies?
The genitals gotta be em big as a donkey's and the money shot has to be as much as a horse's.

Best I can tell.
That sounds somewhat familiar. Is that from the Bible, the JKV* Bible I mean?

* JoeyKnothead Version
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #7

Post by AgnosticBoy »

Difflugia wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 pm

Thanks for posting that passage but I'm also looking for the right position or the most logical/coherent one.

If I play the devil's advocate here (just to foster debate), I can say that your reference would only mean that Christians shouldn't engage in the behavior themselves, but it does not cover if they can watch, listen to, or read about others engaging in such behavior. Perhaps a conservative Christian would strongly oppose my view.

From searching the internet, I've found quite a few explanations that allow for some viewing of Rated R content just as long as you're not entertained or in agreement with it. In other words, the Christian can watch Rated R movies just as long as they do so having a proper or moral perspective. I don't believe everyone can do this of course. One further explanation mentions that Christians can watch these films so that they can know what's going on in the culture. In a sense, I kinda agree. How can you effectively reach an immoral culture, if you don't have some understanding of it and weigh it against what the Bible says?

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:13 am Might also depend on the movie itself. Not all R rated movies have the same amount of 'X' that denotes an R rating.
And that 'X' is quite a mixture of things; violence, profanity, nudity, sexuality, drug use, and perhaps others. I can see Christians being concerned perhaps about nudity, profanity, and drug use, but not violence and sexuality. The bible itself might get an R rating based on those last two alone. I wonder how many Christians would recommend those under 17 not be exposed to the bible?

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pm I have heard some Christians say that it is unChristian to watch anything on TV that is rated R or that displays sex, adult language, and other indecent scenes. Personally, I find that standard to be highly restrictive and perhaps even impractical given the content on a lot of television programs nowadays. I was wondering if this was the way Christians are to really be or is this debatable and perhaps there's even another more lenient standard.

I know one counter would be that the Bible describes gory details and in some cases talks about sex. So how could reading or watching of such content be immoral?

I believe they detest nudity (you know, the A&E incident with the apple and all :oops: ), and despise adult activity (can't show people actually loving each other :yikes: God forbid!), but love harsh language :evil_laugh:, are wild for intense graphic violence :dance:, and cherish drug abuse, particularly if it's wine. :drunk:

R: Restricted, Children Under 17 Require Accompanying Parent or Adult Guardian.
This rating means the film contains adult material such as adult activity, harsh
language, intense graphic violence, drug abuse and nudity.

source

Last edited by Miles on Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AgnosticBoy
Guru

Post #10

Post by AgnosticBoy »

1213 wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:24 pm
AgnosticBoy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:33 pm ...
Maybe this could be applied:

...Hold on to what is good, but keep away from every kind of evil.
First Epistle to the Thessalonians 5:21

It is not necessary to decide is it evil, it is enough to think is it good. I don’t think it is good for a person and therefore I would recommend to not watch. But, I don’t think it is worst thing that one could do.
The passage you posted is harder to argue against, but to play devil's advocate, I can bring up passages like what Joey brought up:
Ezekiel 23:20
“There she lusted after her lovers, whose genitals were like those of donkeys and whose emission was like that of horses.
There are plenty other biblical passages that talk about killing, sex (Song of Solomon), etc. Reading about it is not much different than watching it in a movie.