Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

God is love

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 4 here:
1213 wrote: God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the referenced claim is true and factual.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Re: God is love

Post #2

Post by brunumb »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Pineapple is anger, and he who remains in anger remains in pineapple, and pineapple remains in him.

It's all just rhetoric where the word love has been co-opted to push religious propaganda. God is not love any more than pineapple is anger.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

brunumb wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:45 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

Pineapple is anger, and he who remains in anger remains in pineapple, and pineapple remains in him.

It's all just rhetoric where the word love has been co-opted to push religious propaganda. God is not love any more than pineapple is anger.

Ah yes, god's love.

Might want to ask a slave about this "love" of his.

Leviticus 25:
44 “About your men and women slaves: You may get men and women slaves from the other nations around you."

45 "Also, you may get children as slaves if they come from the families of the foreigners living in your land. These child slaves will belong to you."

46 "You may even pass these foreign slaves on to your children after you die so that they will belong to them. They will be your slaves forever. You may make slaves of these foreigners."

Or ask the innocents he sentenced to death about his love.

1 Samuel 15
3 "Now go and smite Amalek and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant . . . .’”

Or ask Onan about god's love when god killed him for not knocking up his dead brother's wife. Ah what unconditional love!

Genesis 8:
6 Judah chose a woman named Tamar to be the wife of his first son Er. 7 But Er did many bad things. The Lord was not happy with him, so the Lord killed him. 8 Then Judah said to Er’s brother Onan, “Go and sleep with your dead brother’s wife. Become like a husband to her. If children are born, they will belong to your brother Er.” 9 Onan knew that the children from this union would not belong to him. He had sexual relations with Tamar, but he did not allow himself to stay inside her. 10 This made the Lord angry. So he killed Onan also.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:03 pm From Post 4 here:
1213 wrote: God is love, and he who remains in love remains in God, and God remains in him.
1 John 4:16
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the referenced claim is true and factual.
Do you mean this type of love:
God so loved the world he gave his only son (paraphrased, of course)?

Or this type of love:
God's love when he drowned 99.9% (estimate) of all life (human, animal and plant) because he was annoyed at the unrighteousness in the world (while that's debatable, there's no debate that animals and plants can't even be righteous)?

Or this love:
God hid himself to allow Satan to test Adam and Eve in the Garden and then acted all surprised and mad at their choice?

Or this love:
If you put the blood of an animal over your door, I'll send a killer to kill your first born children (at least he spared their 2nd and 3rd born - love at its finest)?

Or this love:
'Sure, Satan. You can even kill Job's family to prove to a point to the world that he loves me and holds me in high regard'?

There seems to be different types of 'God's love'. ;)
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Paul of Tarsus
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Paul of Tarsus »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:34 am Do you mean this type of love:
God so loved the world he gave his only son (paraphrased, of course)?
Considering what God did to his son, the world better look out!
Or this type of love:
God's love when he drowned 99.9% (estimate) of all life (human, animal and plant) because he was annoyed at the unrighteousness in the world (while that's debatable, there's no debate that animals and plants can't even be righteous)?
God's approach was to kill people because he was fed up with evil.
Or this love:
God hid himself to allow Satan to test Adam and Eve in the Garden and then acted all surprised and mad at their choice?
I think Eve and Adam didn't need that kind of love. But God didn't leave them hanging because he let them know about good and evil by example.
Or this love:
If you put the blood of an animal over your door, I'll send a killer to kill your first born children (at least he spared their 2nd and 3rd born - love at its finest)?
Actually, the blood was meant to mark those who were to be spared God's genocide. God evidently didn't know where the Hebrews lived.
Or this love:
'Sure, Satan. You can even kill Job's family to prove to a point to the world that he loves me and holds me in high regard'?
God and Satan had a truly amazing bet there, now didn't they? Although Satan was pretty stupid to bet against an all-knowing God, I've often wondered what would have happened aside from God being cursed out by Job if God lost the bet.
There seems to be different types of 'God's love'. ;)
Whatever God does, the faithful must call it love as they step over the bodies lying about.