Col 3:17

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Col 3:17

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.

nb:
This is the same question as this one but in a different forum for more participation and questioning of the Bible (while staying on topic).
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38389
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Col 3:17

Post #31

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:06 am [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #26]
Well that riled you up. Nothing angrier than a man angry at fictional stories and fictional sky faries.
Indeed it does rile, having experienced nigh on daily beatings in my youth by "loving" Christians who just wanted to save me from the wrath of their "loving" invisible sky daddy.
No one called you filthy, that's on your imagination. If anything, I acknowledge my filthiness and unworthiness, and that helped me come to Christ. If it helps you then praise God.
I praise no gods whose proponents are incapable of showing they speak truth about it, and who'd threaten with the fires of Hell, them who think those inapable of showing they speak truth proponents are nothing but a pack of liars.
We can prove hell anytime you want to. You go ahead and make the thread.
Here ya go.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #32

Post by brunumb »

Wootah wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:06 am If anything, I acknowledge my filthiness and unworthiness, and that helped me come to Christ.
Ew. I do not regard myself as filthy or unworthy and I guess that's why I don't need to come to the alleged Christ.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #33

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm
Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm ...If someone comes along and says God gave them their name and said they act in God's name would you believe them?
I think it would depend on what the person does and says. In the case of Jesus, he had the miracles and things went as he told, which convinced his disciples and me.
There are the claims for the miracles, based on the stories in the New Testament. How can you show those miracles are more than just stories?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

Savant

Post #34

Post by 1213 »

Goat wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:04 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm
Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm ...If someone comes along and says God gave them their name and said they act in God's name would you believe them?
I think it would depend on what the person does and says. In the case of Jesus, he had the miracles and things went as he told, which convinced his disciples and me.
There are the claims for the miracles, based on the stories in the New Testament. How can you show those miracles are more than just stories?
I don’t think any history can be shown. But, I believe the miracles happened, for example because people would not have had any good reasons to follow Jesus and preach his message, if they really didn’t see them.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #35

Post by Goat »

1213 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 am

I don’t think any history can be shown. But, I believe the miracles happened, for example because people would not have had any good reasons to follow Jesus and preach his message, if they really didn’t see them.
Well there are the claims from miracles. I believe that the claims were made.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

brunumb
Savant

Post #36

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 11:14 am I don’t think any history can be shown. But, I believe the miracles happened, for example because people would not have had any good reasons to follow Jesus and preach his message, if they really didn’t see them.
If history can't be shown, as you suggest, then maybe the stories of people following Jesus and seeing miracles are not history. Just stories. There are other ancient stories of miraculous events*, some involving famous people, so why aren't those regarded as history and believed? Perhaps you first need to have the necessary religious belief implanted in the brain and then it can filter out, or let in, only those things that conform to the belief.

* Google is your friend.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."

Savant

Post #37

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:10 pm If history can't be shown, as you suggest, then maybe the stories of people following Jesus and seeing miracles are not history. Just stories.
That can be said about all history.
brunumb wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:10 pmThere are other ancient stories of miraculous events*, some involving famous people, so why aren't those regarded as history and believed? ...
It depends on what is the story, who told it and why he told it.

brunumb
Savant

Post #38

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 5:20 pm
brunumb wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:10 pm If history can't be shown, as you suggest, then maybe the stories of people following Jesus and seeing miracles are not history. Just stories.
That can be said about all history.
brunumb wrote: Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:10 pmThere are other ancient stories of miraculous events*, some involving famous people, so why aren't those regarded as history and believed? ...
It depends on what is the story, who told it and why he told it.
So the well honed art of cherry picking is employed to decide what is history and what is not. I'm sure a good dose of confirmation bias as well never goes amiss.

Wootah
Savant

Post #39

Post by Wootah »

brunumb wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:00 pm
Wootah wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:06 am If anything, I acknowledge my filthiness and unworthiness, and that helped me come to Christ.
Ew. I do not regard myself as filthy or unworthy and I guess that's why I don't need to come to the alleged Christ.
Agreed. That would be the problem.
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Tcg
Savant

Post #40

Post by Tcg »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:24 am
brunumb wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:00 pm
Agreed. That would be the problem.
It's not a problem, but rather the reason that there is no need to "come to Jesus" or whatever term may be used to describe that imaginary process. Christians invented a problem so that they can provide a solution. In reality there is no problem that needs solving.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom