Col 3:17

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Col 3:17

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.

nb:
This is the same question as this one but in a different forum for more participation and questioning of the Bible (while staying on topic).
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38389
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Col 3:17

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From The OP:
Wootah wrote: ...
Some folks think their imaginary friends are real?
Wootah wrote: Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being? Up
Cause you ain't a god?
Wootah wrote: When did the Shema get dropped?
Right after they let the dogs out?
Wootah wrote: If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.
I've yet to find anyone who can show they know the mind of a god they can't show exists.

But please try, maybe you'll be the first who can.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:09 pm
And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

God gave his name to Jesus and Jesus acts in the name of God. Because Jesus has God’s name, we do things in God’s name, if we do them in Jesus name.

I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them through your name which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
John 17:11

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to Wootah in post #1]
I wondered the same thing for a long time. I guess, it could be that there needs to be an interim or conduit to relay info back-n-forth because God is so great, or something like that? Though, didn't seem to be much of a problem in the bible before, so.... :confused2:
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Wootah
Savant

Post #5

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:06 pm
Wootah wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:09 pm
JWs and friends:

God gave his name to Jesus and Jesus acts in the name of God. Because Jesus has God’s name, we do things in God’s name, if we do them in Jesus name.

I am no more in the world, but these are in the world, and I am coming to you. Holy Father, keep them through your name which you have given me, that they may be one, even as we are.
John 17:11
If someone comes along and says God gave them their name and said they act in God's name would you believe them?
Remember the Bible is not authoritative here in this forum.

It's a recipe for disaster 1213 in the sense that if Jesus is not God we have a model for total separation of man and God by a not God being sitting between us and God.

Should we have it both ways and ask God to forgive us if we have been totally deceived by a man and at the same time follow God in thought, word and deed through a man? Is this a modern pascal's wager?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Savant

Post #6

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm ...If someone comes along and says God gave them their name and said they act in God's name would you believe them?
I think it would depend on what the person does and says. In the case of Jesus, he had the miracles and things went as he told, which convinced his disciples and me.

Wootah
Savant

Post #7

Post by Wootah »

1213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm
Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 pm ...If someone comes along and says God gave them their name and said they act in God's name would you believe them?
I think it would depend on what the person does and says. In the case of Jesus, he had the miracles and things went as he told, which convinced his disciples and me.
If you are in it for the miracles, be warned, you're gunna love the anti-Christ as he will have the bells and whistles too!

Savant

Post #8

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:40 pm
If you are in it for the miracles, be warned, you're gunna love the anti-Christ as he will have the bells and whistles too!
Yes, I know, for me the main thing is what Jesus and God has said, not the miracles.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #9

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:57 pm
Yes, I know, for me the main thing is what Jesus and God has said, not the miracles.
So is it the miracles or not?
Or is it 'the miracles but not the miracles'?
Or maybe it's 'the miracles when they work for my POV'?
Do you really have an opinion or are you blowing along with the wind (either is fine IMO - just trying to figure out from where you come)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Post #10

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 12:04 pm
1213 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:57 pm
So is it the miracles or not?
As I said, main thing for me is the words, and things went as he told. His words give the meaning for the miracles and things that went as he told.