Col 3:17

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Col 3:17

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.

nb:
This is the same question as this one but in a different forum for more participation and questioning of the Bible (while staying on topic).
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38389
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Re: Col 3:17

Post #21

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:56 pm Why would you want to 'remain in' a not God being?
Because the Father of Christ (the MOST Holy One) SAID to listen to His Son (Christ Jaheshua), and that Son is the one to whom the Father led me when I asked to be led to wherever He wanted me to be, and when I sought to know the truth (God's truth). Christ is the Truth.

You also say 'not God' being, when what you must mean is a not God MOST High (YHWH). Because angels are gods; obviously the Son OF God, born from God, is the same 'kind' (for lack of a better word perhaps) as His Father. Christ is the HOLY, His Father is the MOST Holy. This is why the Temple was instructed to be set up the way it is: with a Most Holy Place, that one could not enter into unless one first comes through the Holy Place. Just as One cannot come before the Father (the MOST Holy One), except through the Son (the HOLY One of God).
It is clearly a statement of faith and trust in not God.

My faith is certainly in Christ (the Son and Holy One of God), and so also in His Father (the Most Holy One, whose name is JAH).

If one's faith is in the Son, then one's faith is in the Father. If one's faith is in the Father, then one's faith must also be in the Son, whom the Father sent.

Peace again to you,
your servant and a slave of Christ,
tammy

Wootah
Savant

Post #22

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #22]

Where did he say that? In a book that for you that is about a not God being?

Let's dial this back. Imagine we were 1st century Jews. There is no way we would abandon God for Jesus unless we thought Jesus was God. This is the big schism that still exists. Jews know that Jesus claims to be God and disagree. They do quite literally think that a not God being has taken over in the NT and should be discarded.

How will you avoid falling for this error again or continuously?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #23

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:38 pm [Replying to tam in post #22]

Let's dial this back. Imagine we were 1st century Jews. There is no way we would abandon God for Jesus unless we thought Jesus was God. This is the big schism that still exists. Jews know that Jesus claims to be God and disagree. They do quite literally think that a not God being has taken over in the NT and should be discarded.

By not falling for claims a god exists.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Wootah
Savant

Post #24

Post by Wootah »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Well falling away completely is one suggestion for sure. Seems better than half falling away but still seems to be heading to hell. I'd advise of course to look at what replaces Christianity for each of us but that might be asking too much.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #25

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:36 am
JoeyKnothead wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 11:41 pm

Well falling away completely is one suggestion for sure.
To have "fallen away" one must first have accepted belief in god claims that can't be shown to be true.

I find such language to be quite ad hominous.
Wootah wrote: Seems better than half falling away but still seems to be heading to hell.
Ah yes, the good ol "You're going Hell you filthy atheist"!

I've come to expect such from so many Christians who're incapable of showing their god exists, that they might show they speak truth regarding how folks'll go em to a Hell the Christian can't show exists, if only they'd do as the Christian says.

That's no more it a viable threat than me telling the pretty thing I'll withhold sex unless I get my way.
Wootah wrote: I'd advise of course to look at what replaces Christianity for each of us but that might be asking too much.
I find truth to be a great replacement for Christian claims that come with "Go to Hell"!

A Hell the Christian - now stay with me here - is utterly and entirely incapable of showing they speak em the truth about.

I wouldn't fret such violent, potentially offensive language, if weren't so many Christians amaking Hell on Earth a real thing in their own -ahem- "loving Christian" way.

So threaten and cajole all ya want - until ya can show there's a Hell for folks to go to...

The liar lies, and the preacher preaches!
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #26

Post by 1213 »

brunumb wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:03 pm
1213 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:06 pm If he would have spoken and acted like a halfwit, then I could think he is not speaking what God had commanded him to speak.
Hmmm. He did curse a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season. ...
Where does the Bible tell Jesus cursed the tree, because not bearing fruit out of the season? I understand that for many, atheism requires that Bible must be interpreted in worst way for Jesus, but, for those who might want to understand things without bias, Mark tells the story like this:

Seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came to see if perhaps he might find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
Mark 11:13

It is not exactly told what Jesus was looking for, but, fig trees can produce two crops. It is possible that Jesus was looking for the breba crop, which is not the main crop of figs. I believe this is the case and there should have been something, at least signs of coming crop and because nothing was found, Jesus cursed it. I don’t see any problem with it, because people commonly kill trees even with lesser reasons.

Most figs produce two crops. The first, called the breba crop, is short and usually occurs in late spring or early summer. The breba crop is produced on older wood. Figs from the breba crop are not edible in all varieties. The main crop ripens in the late summer and fall. This crop is produced on new wood. Commercial growers prune the trees to maximize new wood growth.
https://www.garden.eco/when-are-figs-in-season

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #27

Post by JoeyKnothead »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:53 am Where does the Bible tell Jesus cursed the tree, because not bearing fruit out of the season? I understand that for many, atheism requires that Bible must be interpreted in worst way for Jesus, but, for those who might want to understand things without bias, Mark tells the story like this:

Seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came to see if perhaps he might find anything on it. When he came to it, he found nothing but leaves, for it was not the season for figs.
Mark 11:13
I make no claims regarding the accuracy of the following NIV, Bible Gateway interpretation...
Bible Gateway wrote: 13 Seeing in the distance a fig tree in leaf, he went to find out if it had any fruit. When he reached it, he found nothing but leaves, because it was not the season for figs.
14 Then he said to the tree, “May no one ever eat fruit from you again.” And his disciples heard him say it.
Sounds kinda cursey to me.
-Punkinhead Martin

tam
Savant

Post #28

Post by tam »

Peace to you,

A, He said it and it is recorded in a book; B, I also told you that God led me to His Son;... and C, you have some strange defintion going on about 'a not God being', and I just don't see where you're going with that. Christ being the Son of God, rather than God (YHWH) Himself, doesn't take away from His (Christ's) authority (since that was given to Him by His Father), nor does it change the fact that He is the HEIR to all God's Kingdom (since again, the Father made Him so, and He is the firstborn). Nor does it take away from the Father who GAVE this authority and power to His Son. To whom Christ continuously gives glory to, to whom Christ tells us to worship, to whom Christ tells us to pray.

Okay...

A - No one among 1st century Jews were asked to abandon God for Christ (Jaheshua, not "Jesus"). Where do you get that from? Christ being the Son of God doesn't cause anyone to abandon God. God is the One who sent His Son. Christ gives praise and glory to His Father, and we are to do the same.

B - Jews know that "Christianity" claims that Jesus is God (well, actually Christianity claims that God is a trinity, that God is three... instead of what Jews - and Muslims - know to be true: that God is One. Not three. Not three in one. Not one in three. God is one. THAT is the Shema that you mentioned, but "Christianity" has distorted it in order to make the trinity doctrine 'jive' with the Shema). So Jews are right to disagree on this particular matter.

(Helpful to note perhaps that Jews had no expectation at all - EVER - of the Messiah being God Most High (YHWH). Nor did Christ ever claim to BE the Most High.)

The Jews who rejected Christ (a couple thousand years ago) did not reject Him because He claimed to be part of a trinity, or even because He claimed to be God ("YHWH"). He never claimed to be either of those things.

So from where/whom did you learn about the trinity doctrine? Or about the claim that Christ is "YHWH"?

Peace again to you.
What error?

Peace again to you.

Wootah
Savant

Post #29

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #26]

Well that riled you up. Nothing angrier than a man angry at fictional stories and fictional sky faries.

No one called you filthy, that's on your imagination. If anything, I acknowledge my filthiness and unworthiness, and that helped me come to Christ. If it helps you then praise God.

We can prove hell anytime you want to. You go ahead and make the thread.

Wootah
Savant

Post #30

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to tam in post #29]

If you can't see the point of the thread Tam I won't help you further today.