Col 3:17

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Wootah
Savant

Col 3:17

Post #1

Post by Wootah »

And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
JWs and friends:

Why would I thank God through a not God being?

Why would all my words and deeds be in the name of a not God being?

When did the Shema get dropped? If I thought Jesus was not God I would consider the NT blasphemy of the worst kind.

nb:
This is the same question as this one but in a different forum for more participation and questioning of the Bible (while staying on topic).
viewtopic.php?f=38&t=38389
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

Member Notes: viewtopic.php?t=33826

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

Wootah
Savant

Re: Col 3:17

Post #11

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to 1213 in post #10]

How will you avoid falling for the anti-Christ since you so readily accept a non-God being as dominating the new testament when we should be faithful to God alone?
Proverbs 18:17 The one who states his case first seems right, until the other comes and examines him.

"Why is everyone so quick to reason God might be petty. Now that is creating God in our own image :)."

tam
Savant

Post #12

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:07 pm [Replying to 1213 in post #10]

How will you avoid falling for the anti-Christ since you so readily accept a non-God being as dominating the new testament when we should be faithful to God alone?
How does this question make sense? Whether you think that Christ is God or whether you think that He is the Son of God (but not God Himself), He is still one person, the Son, not the same person as the Father. Right? Even if you believe in the trinity doctrine, you believe there are three people. So how would someone who believes that Christ is the Son of God (but not God Himself) be in more danger of falling for an antichrist than someone who believes in the trinity?

If you don't want to fall for (an) antichrist, or a false prophet, or a false christ (now or later), then remain in Christ. Listen to Him, to His voice, to His word. Test and hold all things up against Him (the Light and the Truth).

Your concern doesn't make sense to me, so perhaps you can clarify.

Peace again to you!

(original response from other thread: viewtopic.php?p=1041932#p1041932 )

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 8:07 pm ...
Jesus said he speaks what God has commanded him to speak and he could do nothing without God.

Jesus therefore answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:16-17

For I spoke not from myself, but the Father who sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak. I know that his commandment is eternal life. The things therefore which I speak, even as the Father has said to me, so I speak."
John 12:49-50

I can of myself do nothing. As I hear, I judge, and my judgment is righteous; because I don't seek my own will, but the will of my Father who sent me.
John 5:30

Jesus gives glory to God, who do you think Anti-Christ glorifies?

Wootah
Savant

Post #14

Post by Wootah »

[Replying to 1213 in post #14]

Wrong forum. You are quoting not God, which is because the NT is basically all about a not God being for you.

If another person comes along and says he speaks what God says how will you defend yourself given your propensity to follow not God creatures?

Wootah
Savant

Post #15

Post by Wootah »

tam wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:30 pm Peace to you,

How does this question make sense? Whether you think that Christ is God or whether you think that He is the Son of God (but not God Himself), He is still one person, the Son, not the same person as the Father. Right? Even if you believe in the trinity doctrine, you believe there are three people. So how would someone who believes that Christ is the Son of God (but not God Himself) be in more danger of falling for an antichrist than someone who believes in the trinity?

If you don't want to fall for (an) antichrist, or a false prophet, or a false christ (now or later), then remain in Christ. Listen to Him, to His voice, to His word. Test and hold all things up against Him (the Light and the Truth).

Peace again to you!

It is a very normal and basic concern of Christians to watch out for the anti-Christ. It is very and basic normal for Christians to listen to God who said to watch out for false prophets. It is very basic and normal for non-Christians to follow idols and false gods. Given those statements and given the importance of the Shema it is evident to everyone reading the NT part of the Bible that for you at least a not God being is inserting themselves between you and God. That not God being claims to be sent from God but all the false prophets do the same as well.

How will you even judge them given you already believe a not God being has commanded you to do everything in thought and deed through them (a not God being)?

Given your stated commitment over the years to claiming to have faith in God how do you reconcile that?

I do say I believe in God and if I ever found out the NT was about a not God being called Jesus I would throw it out. That's how important my faith in God is. How about you?

tam
Savant

Post #16

Post by tam »

Peace to you,
Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:57 pm
tam wrote: Tue Jun 29, 2021 10:30 pm Peace to you,

Peace again to you!

It is a very normal and basic concern of Christians to watch out for the anti-Christ. It is very and basic normal for Christians to listen to God who said to watch out for false prophets. It is very basic and normal for non-Christians to follow idols and false gods. Given those statements and given the importance of the Shema it is evident to everyone reading the NT part of the Bible that for you at least a not God being is inserting themselves between you and God. That not God being claims to be sent from God but all the false prophets do the same as well.

How will you even judge them given you already believe a not God being has commanded you to do everything in thought and deed through them (a not God being)?
I believe I answered both of these questions/concerns, Wootah.

1 - See the link for your statements about Christ 'inserting himself between us and God'... and not also that Christ is indeed the mediator between man and God (1Timothy 2:5). So I'm not sure what are you objecting to on that point. Christ also says that no one comes to the Father except through Him (John 14:6)

2 - See the previous comment (I will quote it) regarding not being misled:

Given your stated commitment over the years to claiming to have faith in God how do you reconcile that?
I see no issue here, nothing to reconcile.

How do you keep yourself from being misled by false prophets, false christs, any antichrists?
I do say I believe in God and if I ever found out the NT was about a not God being called Jesus I would throw it out. That's how important my faith in God is. How about you?

You would throw it all out rather than consider that you were wrong (in what you were taught and in what you believed)? I mean, if you truly believe that Christ is the Son of God, that He was sent from God, then how could you throw 'it' (or Christ) out, rather than take a breath and realize that you have been taught something incorrect? Does that sound like your faith is truly in Christ?

My faith is built upon Christ. The Rock. If one builds their house upon Him (the rock) it will survive when the wind and the rain comes. If one's house is built upon the sand (something other than Christ), when the wind and rains come, the house falls. Now is a good time to check the foundation, and if need be... tear everything down straight to the cornerstone (Christ) and allow Him to build you** and your faith back up on Him.

Peace again to you.

**to whomever it concerns

Wootah
Savant

Post #17

Post by Wootah »

Why would you want to 'remain in' a not God being?
It is clearly a statement of faith and trust in not God.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #18

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:56 pm Why would you want to 'remain in' a not God being?
It is clearly a statement of faith and trust in not God.
As if faith and trust in a god that can't be shown to exist is somehow extra special.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Savant

Post #19

Post by 1213 »

Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:44 pm Wrong forum. You are quoting not God, which is because the NT is basically all about a not God being for you.
Do you mean that only quotes of God are allowed here? :D
Wootah wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 5:44 pmIf another person comes along and says he speaks what God says how will you defend yourself given your propensity to follow not God creatures?
It depends on what the person says. Jesus spoke many things that God has already told in OT and he also said:

Jesus therefore answered them, "My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:16-17

That is one way to know. But, I think Jesus told wise and good things. I don’t see any problem in that he gives credit of great wisdom and goodness to God. If he would have spoken and acted like a halfwit, then I could think he is not speaking what God had commanded him to speak.

brunumb
Savant

Post #20

Post by brunumb »

1213 wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:06 pm If he would have spoken and acted like a halfwit, then I could think he is not speaking what God had commanded him to speak.
Hmmm. He did curse a fig tree for not bearing fruit out of season. I mean, he cursed a fig tree. I'm not sure just how many wits you have to be short of to do that.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.