Is Forrest Gump's Mum Going to Hell?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Is Forrest Gump's Mum Going to Hell?

Post #1

Post by Purple Knight »

There's a scene in Forrest Gump where his mum trades sexual favours with the principal of the school in exchange for her mentally handicapped (by only 5 IQ points under the required 80) son to be able to attend normal classes. I've never believed in anything really and when I saw the film at a young age, I thought, how horrible a thing, what a disgusting thing that she would do, so her son can have a better chance at a normal life. I considered her a hero. I even thought, I would not do such a thing in that position. Just too gross.

Biblically, however, sex is pretty well sacred.

Question for Debate: Is sacrificing your own body in a sexual way, but entirely for the selfless good of someone else, a heroic or an evil act?

(The thread title was intentionally sensational. I understand that in Christianity, doing something wrong or even evil does not automatically mean you burn in Hell. I quite understand about forgiveness. My question is whether this is something she needs to be forgiven for.)

Savant

Re: Is Forrest Gump's Mum Going to Hell?

Post #31

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 8:33 am
1213 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:56 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:34 am ...
What's the difference between 'evil' and 'not good'?
I think evil means one purposefully wants to cause harm. Not good is something that is not good for person, but it is not necessarily done with the purpose to cause harm.
So, it seems, the 'intent' is the differentiation between these terms for you, no?
Commonly yes.

Rational Atheist
Student

Post #32

Post by Rational Atheist »

Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:28 pm There's a scene in Forrest Gump where his mum trades sexual favours with the principal of the school in exchange for her mentally handicapped (by only 5 IQ points under the required 80) son to be able to attend normal classes. I've never believed in anything really and when I saw the film at a young age, I thought, how horrible a thing, what a disgusting thing that she would do, so her son can have a better chance at a normal life. I considered her a hero. I even thought, I would not do such a thing in that position. Just too gross.

Biblically, however, sex is pretty well sacred.

Question for Debate: Is sacrificing your own body in a sexual way, but entirely for the selfless good of someone else, a heroic or an evil act?

(The thread title was intentionally sensational. I understand that in Christianity, doing something wrong or even evil does not automatically mean you burn in Hell. I quite understand about forgiveness. My question is whether this is something she needs to be forgiven for.)
Very strange post. You ask about whether a fictional character from a fictional movie will go to a fictional place and ask people to debate about whether or not this will happen according to what's written in a fictional book. Seems there are more important things to talk about, but that's just me.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #33

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Sorry, figured I'd best delete the post in case it was out of bounds.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #34

Post by Purple Knight »

Rational Atheist wrote: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:37 pm
Purple Knight wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:28 pmQuestion for Debate: Is sacrificing your own body in a sexual way, but entirely for the selfless good of someone else, a heroic or an evil act?
Very strange post. You ask about whether a fictional character from a fictional movie will go to a fictional place and ask people to debate about whether or not this will happen according to what's written in a fictional book. Seems there are more important things to talk about, but that's just me.
No not really. The bits you reference merely frame the question.