Biblical filler material

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Biblical filler material

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Is there anything in the bible that one can legitimately consider 'filler'*?
Are there any stories submitted that simply have no implication on the enteral soul of the reader?
If so, which story?

I ask as I was reading a thread recently that divulged into arguing of which dead brother was required to breed with a woman (or something to that regard - I got lost in the bickering back-n-forth TBH) and I wondered how this story and discussion had any relevance on my life at any point.

*Filler, here, meaning having no implication to the life and eternal life of any human, living, dead or not yet born.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Realworldjack
Guru

Re: Biblical filler material

Post #2

Post by Realworldjack »

nobspeople wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:43 am Is there anything in the bible that one can legitimately consider 'filler'*?
Are there any stories submitted that simply have no implication on the enteral soul of the reader?
If so, which story?

I ask as I was reading a thread recently that divulged into arguing of which dead brother was required to breed with a woman (or something to that regard - I got lost in the bickering back-n-forth TBH) and I wondered how this story and discussion had any relevance on my life at any point.

*Filler, here, meaning having no implication to the life and eternal life of any human, living, dead or not yet born.

Please allow me to respectfully say, I believe the use of the word "filler" is just a bad choice, even though you explain what you mean. With that being said, there is an enormous amount contained in the Bible, which would have nothing whatsoever to do with any reader at all today. As an example, in 2 Timothy chapter 4, and verse 13 we read,
When you come, bring the overcoat which I left at Troas with Carpus, and the books, especially the parchments.
What in the world, would this have to do with anyone today?

Miles
Savant

Post #3

Post by Miles »

Can't say anything was put in the Bible to make it larger, "filler" as it were, but there's certainly a lot that's inconsequential.

Like what difference does it make that Nephilim are mentioned in Genesis?

Genesis 6:4
The Nephilim were on the earth in those days. After that, the sons of God went to the daughters of men, who bore children for them. Those became the powerful, famous men of ancient times.

Or who cares how much Absalom's cut hair weighed?

2 Samuel 14:25-26
25 Now in all Israel there was no one so much to be praised for his handsome appearance as Absalom. From the sole of his foot to the crown of his head there was no blemish in him. 26 And when he cut the hair of his head (for at the end of every year he used to cut it; when it was heavy on him, he cut it), he weighed the hair of his head, two hundred shekels by the king's weight.

And even in the New Testament; what difference does it make that some guy fell asleep while listening to Paul drone on, and fell from a window sill?

Acts 20:7-10
On the first day of the week, when we were assembled for the breaking of bread, Paul, since he intended to leave on the following day, began to speak to them and prolonged his address until almost midnight. There were a great many lamps burning in the upper room where we met, and a young man called Eutychus who was sitting on the window-sill fell asleep as Paul’s address became longer and longer. Finally, completely overcome by sleep, he fell to the ground from the third storey and was picked up as dead. But Paul went down, bent over him and holding him gently in his arms, said, “Don’t be alarmed; he is still alive.”

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #4

Post by Realworldjack »

[Replying to Miles in post #3]

And even in the New Testament; what difference does it make that some guy fell asleep while listening to Paul drone on, and fell from a window sill?
Very good point! This is exactly why we need to keep in mind, the author of this letter, did not have us in mind as he wrote, but was rather addressing an audience at the time, which he referred to as, "Theophilus". Moreover, this author certainly had no idea the letter he had addressed to this "Theophilus" would one day be contained in what we now call the Bible, which he could not have possibly known about. Therefore, while the story you refer to may be of no concern to us, it may well have been a concern to the audience the author was addressing at the time.

Miles
Savant

Post #5

Post by Miles »

Realworldjack wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:31 pm [Replying to Miles in post #3]

Very good point! This is exactly why we need to keep in mind, the author of this letter, did not have us in mind as he wrote, but was rather addressing an audience at the time, which he referred to as, "Theophilus". Moreover, this author certainly had no idea the letter he had addressed to this "Theophilus" would one day be contained in what we now call the Bible, which he could not have possibly known about. Therefore, while the story you refer to may be of no concern to us, it may well have been a concern to the audience the author was addressing at the time.
Do you honestly believe that, other than perhaps being an interesting anecdote, this would have some import that concerned people? I don't.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #6

Post by JehovahsWitness »

No, I dont believe there are any "fillers" in scripture. The details always add something to the narrative. There is always a principle, if one knows what a principle is and looks hard enough to find it.

JW

To learn more please go to other posts related to...

THE BIBLE , HERMENEUTICS* and ... BIBLICAL LITERALISM
* bible interpretation
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Tcg
Savant

Post #7

Post by Tcg »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 5:13 pm No, I dont believe there are any "fillers" in scripture. The details always add something to the narrative. There is always a principle, if one knows what a principle is and looks hard enough to find it.

JW
And of course if there is no clear principle, just make one up that matches what one wants the "holy" bible to say. This allows individuals or specific groups to create their own doctrine and yet pretend they are following scripture.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Tcg
Savant

Post #8

Post by Tcg »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

The bulk of both Leviticus and Deuteronomy may very well apply. They may have had meaning to those who wanted to avoid getting stoned a few thousand years ago, but today they are not much more than an astonishingly effective aid to help one fall asleep.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Realworldjack
Guru

Post #9

Post by Realworldjack »

Miles wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:42 pm
Realworldjack wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 4:31 pm [Replying to Miles in post #3]

Do you honestly believe that, other than perhaps being an interesting anecdote, this would have some import that concerned people? I don't.
Where in the world did I suggest "this would have some import that concerned people"? Rather, I am suggesting the author who identified his audience as Theophilus, was simply giving an account to his audience, of the actions of the apostles, which would have included Paul, and this would have been part of the account, he was relating to his audience at the time.

Now, you may suggest, this would be a useless detail, and you would be correct, if this is where the story ended. However, it goes on to say,
Finally, completely overcome by sleep, he fell to the ground from the third story and was picked up as dead.
Now, I would suggest, this would make the account somewhat more interesting, at least to the audience the author was addressing at the time? However, even if it does not make the account any more interesting to you, my wife will tell accounts in great detail. My complaint to her often is, "please get to the point I need to hear". The point is, even if this author goes into details, his audience does not need to hear, (like my wife) what would this have to do with anything at all?

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Realworldjack wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:28 pm With that being said, there is an enormous amount contained in the Bible, which would have nothing whatsoever to do with any reader at all today.
I disagree. There is nothing in the bible that it irrelevant to the modern day reader, its details are always pertinent, interesting and/or beneficial for people of faith.

JW
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8