Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

The biblical story of how everything was created doesn't (best I can tell) indicate God needed humanity to help creating the universe: In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth, and all that... It doesn't say In the beginning God had Bob and his family create the heaven and the earth.

We see medical professionals saving lives.
We see churches gathering their money to pay the bills.
We see people building places of worship in other countries.
We see people coming together, donating time and money, and feeding the hungry.

Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself?

Post #11

Post by nobspeople »

Miles wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 4:05 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
If god did all the work that needed doing we'd be left with nothing to do but eat 'til our bellies burst, and have sex until our neighbors on the other side of the wall died from exhaustion pounding on it, trying to get us to "Keep it down over there. We're try to sleep for crying out loud!"

Interesting point, which I don't disagree with. However, I intended the question not to be 'why doesn't God do everything for us' but 'why doesn't God do the things he wants humanity to do for him, himself?

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by nobspeople »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:27 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm Of course, people have said "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?

The God of the bible has always privileged others with working for and with Him. Indeed, even the creation of the universe biblically was a joint affair, with Jehovah (YHWH) working through his Son (The Word /Jesus). Why? I would imagine because it gives godly people joy to do something God wants and approves of.

RELATED POSTS
WHY deligate when one can do something alone?
viewtopic.php?p=878619#p878619

Why does God use people instead of doing 'it' himself? [this post]
viewtopic.php?p=1042387#p1042387
To learn more please go to other posts related to ....

GOD, DIVINE QUALITIES and ...THE TRINITY
Seems what one considers 'privilege' isn't a universal concept. Seems that privilege would need to be a mutually agreed upon concept, not one where the 'boss' commands or pleads.
The God of the bible seems to have to tell people to do these things (tithing, for example). If it's instinctive, only then I'd think it would be privilege.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #13

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:33 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:58 pm ... "God is working through those people" but why doesn't God simply just 'do it' himself, like he seemed to have done at the beginning of 'everything'?
Thoughts?
I think He does the things by Himself and I think no one would do anything without God. I don’t think I would be here writing without God. Even Jesus said God is doing the things.

…The words that I tell you, I speak not from myself; but the Father who lives in me does his works. …
John 14:10-14

…My teaching is not mine, but his who sent me. If anyone desires to do his will, he will know about the teaching, whether it is from God, or if I am speaking from myself.
John 7:16-17

But, perhaps in some things it is needed some tool. For example, it you want a nail in the wall, you probably use a hammer. If you use a hammer, are you not doing it by yourself?
So, without God, all humans would be not-doing-anything lumps?

Savant

Post #14

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 6:54 am ...
I believe humans would not do anything and they would not even exist without God.

Miles
Savant

Post #15

Post by Miles »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm
I believe humans would not do anything and they would not even exist without God.

I believe god would not do anything and he would not even exist without humans.

.......................Image

Intolerant:

Exodus 20:3
"Thou shalt have no other gods before me."

Sexist:

Ephesians 5:22
"Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord."

Homophobic

Leviticus 20:13
"If a man lies with a male as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination; they shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them"

Violent
Deuteronomy 20:16-17
16 But of the cities of these people, which the Lord thy God doth give thee for an inheritance, thou shalt save alive nothing that breatheth:
17 But thou shalt utterly destroy them; namely, the Hittites, and the Amorites, the Canaanites, and the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites; as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm
Of course, if there's no humans they can't do anything.
But there are humans.

So you're saying these humans only do 'things' because God commands/allows them to do so?

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 3:27 pm I believe humans would not do anything and they would not even exist without God.
One has to wonder if the concept of God/gods would exist without humans. I don't see any other animals wasting their time worrying about such a concept.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom