Praying for healing - your will be done

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Praying for healing - your will be done

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Your loved one is sick and dying. You pray for healing, ending the prayer with 'your will be done'.
Some would say praying for healing and then ending with 'your will be done' is hedging your bets - covering all the bases as it were. And they are likely right, based on that prayer alone.

For those who have done this, do you really want your loved one to be healed, or do you want God's will to be done?
Is the prayer for your benefit only and not the loved one, knowing God's will will be done anyway?
Or can prayer change God's will (God: Well, I was going to end Mable's life, but Gary and the family prayed so much I guess I'll let her live a bit longer)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Savant

Re: Praying for healing - your will be done

Post #11

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:34 pm How can it NOT be pointless? If God's will is going to be done, what is you asking God to do something else going to accomplish? Or what possible use is it to tell God to do what He was going to do anyway? Either way God is doing what He was going to do. ...
I think it I also about accepting God to do it. If I would not want it, maybe God would not do it.

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #12

Post by benchwarmer »

1213 wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:55 pm
benchwarmer wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:34 pm How can it NOT be pointless? If God's will is going to be done, what is you asking God to do something else going to accomplish? Or what possible use is it to tell God to do what He was going to do anyway? Either way God is doing what He was going to do. ...
I think it I also about accepting God to do it. If I would not want it, maybe God would not do it.
Are you now claiming that you can thwart God's original will? Why would God NOT do what He was originally planning (which we can only assume is perfect) if now you, a human, don't want Him to do it?

You are either:

1) Saying God's original plan was not perfect.
2) God is willing to use YOUR imperfect plan and no longer do His original perfect will. That leaves God NOT doing His will because you asked. Yet you want Him to do His will. See the problem?

Savant

Post #13

Post by 1213 »

benchwarmer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:33 pm
Are you now claiming that you can thwart God's original will? Why would God NOT do what He was originally planning (which we can only assume is perfect) if now you, a human, don't want Him to do it?
I meant more like; God wants to help anyone who asks it. If you don’t ask and want God’s help, you can be alone, without it, but if you want and ask it, you can get it.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #14

Post by nobspeople »

benchwarmer wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:33 pm

You are either:

1) Saying God's original plan was not perfect.
2) God is willing to use YOUR imperfect plan and no longer do His original perfect will. That leaves God NOT doing His will because you asked. Yet you want Him to do His will. See the problem?
I once heard a preacher say, if enough people pray, they could, indeed, change God's will. His congregation seemed to agree.

Tcg
Savant

Post #15

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 pm I once heard a preacher say, if enough people pray, they could, indeed, change God's will. His congregation seemed to agree.
That's a rather bizarre claim. If mere humans can bend God's will one has to wonder why God would deserve the title of "God." If this scenario were true, humans would deserve the title "God." What we think of as God would be nothing more than the slave to human's desires.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #16

Post by nobspeople »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:39 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 pm I once heard a preacher say, if enough people pray, they could, indeed, change God's will. His congregation seemed to agree.
That's a rather bizarre claim. If mere humans can bend God's will one has to wonder why God would deserve the title of "God." If this scenario were true, humans would deserve the title "God." What we think of as God would be nothing more than the slave to human's desires.

Tcg
While I was in the congregation, I wasn't one whom agreed with him.
I think I said something like :confused2:

Tcg
Savant

Post #17

Post by Tcg »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:13 pm

Tcg
While I was in the congregation, I wasn't one whom agreed with him.
I think I said something like :confused2:
That would be the appropriate response. Trying to keep all the aspects of Christian theology in line can be an impossible task. When trying to explain a specific aspect, one can lose track of how that impacts others.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #18

Post by 1213 »

That's a rather bizarre claim. If mere humans can bend God's will one has to wonder why God would deserve the title of "God." ...
I think it means basically for example, God has decided to do something, because people are evil. Now, if those evil people change their mind, repent and stop being evil, God can change His mind on what He was going to do. And in this case, I think, perhaps it would be better to says, God’s mind has not changed, the situation has and therefore also what God was going to do, has changed. I believe God’s will is always for example that righteous will live eternally, and unrighteous not. The decision is the same always, but it is possible that people change and so also the outcome can change.

Tcg
Savant

Post #19

Post by Tcg »

1213 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:50 pm
That's a rather bizarre claim. If mere humans can bend God's will one has to wonder why God would deserve the title of "God." ...
I think it means basically for example, God has decided to do something, because people are evil. Now, if those evil people change their mind, repent and stop being evil, God can change His mind on what He was going to do. And in this case, I think, perhaps it would be better to says, God’s mind has not changed, the situation has and therefore also what God was going to do, has changed. I believe God’s will is always for example that righteous will live eternally, and unrighteous not. The decision is the same always, but it is possible that people change and so also the outcome can change.
This doesn't change the fact that if this were the case, people would be controlling God. God would be the servant of humans.

Tcg

- American Atheists

- wiploc

- Irvin D. Yalom

Savant

Post #20

Post by 1213 »

Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:02 pm This doesn't change the fact that if this were the case, people would be controlling God. God would be the servant of humans.
Sorry, I disagree with that, because God does what ever He does, because He wants it and thinks it is good, not because He is forced to obey.