Praying for healing - your will be done

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Praying for healing - your will be done

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Your loved one is sick and dying. You pray for healing, ending the prayer with 'your will be done'.
Some would say praying for healing and then ending with 'your will be done' is hedging your bets - covering all the bases as it were. And they are likely right, based on that prayer alone.

For those who have done this, do you really want your loved one to be healed, or do you want God's will to be done?
Is the prayer for your benefit only and not the loved one, knowing God's will will be done anyway?
Or can prayer change God's will (God: Well, I was going to end Mable's life, but Gary and the family prayed so much I guess I'll let her live a bit longer)?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

nobspeople
Prodigy

Re: Praying for healing - your will be done

Post #21

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 4:50 pm
Tcg wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:39 pm
nobspeople wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:23 pm I once heard a preacher say, if enough people pray, they could, indeed, change God's will. His congregation seemed to agree.
That's a rather bizarre claim. If mere humans can bend God's will one has to wonder why God would deserve the title of "God." ...
I think it means basically for example, God has decided to do something, because people are evil. Now, if those evil people change their mind, repent and stop being evil, God can change His mind on what He was going to do. And in this case, I think, perhaps it would be better to says, God’s mind has not changed, the situation has and therefore also what God was going to do, has changed. I believe God’s will is always for example that righteous will live eternally, and unrighteous not. The decision is the same always, but it is possible that people change and so also the outcome can change.
In this particular case in which I was involved, it was more about destiny.
The preacher was saying that if someone was going to die, in sin, with enough prayers, God could 'make it' so that the person doesn't die in sin, and is led to repentance.

Savant

Post #22

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am In this particular case in which I was involved, it was more about destiny.
The preacher was saying that if someone was going to die, in sin, with enough prayers, God could 'make it' so that the person doesn't die in sin, and is led to repentance.
Ok, I think also in that case the change God makes is because there is change for better in humans. Meaning, the situation has changed, which is why also actions of God change.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #23

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:04 pm
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 9:27 am In this particular case in which I was involved, it was more about destiny.
Ok, I think also in that case the change God makes is because there is change for better in humans. Meaning, the situation has changed, which is why also actions of God change.
So then the prayers were useless, if that was going to be the change anyway.

Savant

Post #24

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:15 pm So then the prayers were useless,...
I have no reason to think so.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #25

Post by nobspeople »

1213 wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:48 am
nobspeople wrote: Fri Jul 16, 2021 3:15 pm So then the prayers were useless,...
I have no reason to think so.
Of course not. That would go against your 'belief'. But, based on what you said prior, it would seem that prayer is useless.
Thanks for the positive feedback.