Caring about others, or yourself?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Caring about others, or yourself?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Often times, we hear about how Christians are doing things for the benefit of the souls of those lost (witnessing, building churches, trying to pass laws based on their beliefs, etc).
Other times, we hear Christians standing up to things because 'it's right' or 'moral' to do so (anti-abortion, anti-gay adoption, boycotting company XYZ because they did ABC, etc).

But I wonder how much of this 'do goddery' is out of the goodness of their hearts, because they're supposed to because God said (aka fear), or simply to 'get into heaven'.

Surely, we can only expect the answer they provide (though actions speak louder than words, as they say).

Two things for discussion:
1) Are Christians really doing things because they love others and are hopeful for their souls, or is it because they want to get into heaven only?
2) Should Christians be called out when it seems they're doing things solely for their own benefit?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

bluegreenearth
Guru

Re: Caring about others, or yourself?

Post #2

Post by bluegreenearth »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 am Often times, we hear about how Christians are doing things for the benefit of the souls of those lost (witnessing, building churches, trying to pass laws based on their beliefs, etc).
Other times, we hear Christians standing up to things because 'it's right' or 'moral' to do so (anti-abortion, anti-gay adoption, boycotting company XYZ because they did ABC, etc).

But I wonder how much of this 'do goddery' is out of the goodness of their hearts, because they're supposed to because God said (aka fear), or simply to 'get into heaven'.

Surely, we can only expect the answer they provide (though actions speak louder than words, as they say).

Two things for discussion:
1) Are Christians really doing things because they love others and are hopeful for their souls, or is it because they want to get into heaven only?
2) Should Christians be called out when it seems they're doing things solely for their own benefit?
When applying the principle of charity in my interpretation of the behaviors many Christians exhibit, I try to give them the benefit of the doubt at first and presume they mostly intend for their actions to be in the best interest of humanity. However, given what is demonstrable about human motivations, it wouldn't seem unreasonable to also presume that selfishness has at least some influence on the behaviors of many Christians. We must remember, though, that this equally applies to the behaviors of all human beings regardless of their personal beliefs about God or lack thereof.

If some Christians exhibit behaviors that are demonstrably and disproportionately selfish, then it seems reasonable to notify them of how their actions are perceived by other people. However, I'm not entirely sure if anyone could justify claiming to know the true motivations of those Christians with absolute confidence because that would require an ability to read their minds. Again, this equally applies to the behaviors of all human beings regardless of their personal beliefs about God or lack thereof.

Savant

Post #3

Post by 1213 »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 am ...
If they do it to earn heaven, someone should tell them that it can’t be achieved by own works. Eternal life is a gift for righteous people.

These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.
Mat. 25:46

For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Romans 6:23

Purple Knight
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by Purple Knight »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 amBut I wonder how much of this 'do goddery' is out of the goodness of their hearts, because they're supposed to because God said (aka fear), or simply to 'get into heaven'.
I linked this in another topic, but it bears it again. I don't think this is unique to Christians. I think everybody is out for themselves and their genes. I agree with Joey. Phoebe is just wrong. She's trying to find something that doesn't exist, and if it ever did exist, it would be a flicker, a glitch, which certainly would not reproduce.

Now I admit, I want to be that flicker, that glitch, more than anything. But my reasons for wanting that are selfish and I can't escape that.

It would also please me ad infinitum if everybody else was revealed as just as selfish as I am. This would make me just as happy as achieving goodness myself. So honestly I wouldn't take anything I say seriously because it's all selfish BS my brain designs to vainly try to make me feel better about being evil, because I can't change. I wouldn't trust my analysis that everyone else is selfish too. There probably are good people.

But whether I'm right or wrong, I think it might actually go against the basic rules of the universe to try to out people as "just in it for the reward." I don't know how successful we'd be at teaching our children morality if we punished them for doing right, rewarded them for doing wrong, and just insisted, well, you shouldn't be in it for the reward. Well, why not? Really, why not? The general assumption is that you should do the right thing even if it brings punishment, but I question that. Should we accept a universe where the wrong thing is rewarded and the right action punished? I prefer a universe where the right action is rewarded. And if that lets people shame those who are "just in it for the reward" so be it. If that fellow wants to murder me and doesn't, instead of shaming him for "just being in it for the reward" perhaps I should thank whosoever is giving him the reward.

One more thing I should add is that if there isn't any Heaven, the people doing right simply in hopes of making it in, actually present as the achievement of true morality. They achieve the glitch. They're actually selfless, totally. They think they're selfish, they think they'll receive a reward, but since they won't, they're in reality doing for others when it won't reward them. So they're higher morally than I am.

brunumb
Savant

Post #5

Post by brunumb »

nobspeople wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:08 am 1) Are Christians really doing things because they love others and are hopeful for their souls, or is it because they want to get into heaven only?
I think that might be partially true. A reward is always a useful carrot to entice people to do things that they might not otherwise do willingly. I don't think it is possible for people to genuinely feel love for everyone else. That means that many of the charitable and caring things that Christians do in the name of love may actually be more out of a sense of duty as a Christian. You also have to be seen to be doing the right thing. People are very judgmental regardless of their religious persuasion. How often do we hear the cry of "No True Christian"?
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to brunumb in post #5]
I don't think it is possible for people to genuinely feel love for everyone else.
I'd agree. I see the horrific things people do almost daily and say 'there's no way I can love them [the person that did the terrible act].'
The fact that some people (Christian or other) claim to 'love the sinner hate the sin' I think it nothing more than a making a battle cry out of a lie. It's not possible.
Have a great, potentially godless, day!