Intelligent design not so intelligent... why?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Intelligent design not so intelligent... why?

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

Intelligent design doesn't mean, literally, perfect design. But that idea flies out the window (and lands in a steaming pile) when one says the ID was done by a being that's all knowing and all capable (even though the bible may not use those terms, specifically, the idea is there based on the words used).

One would expect said ID to then be flawless, if this was the being's intent.
But any ID we see around us, isn't perfect. Some would say that's 'man's fault' due to original sin. That's an excuse, in all honestly: how can imperfect being thwart (damage, harm, etc) a perfect being's plan?!? It's not possible.

Unless... the perfect being wanted it to be able to be thwarted by these imperfect beings.

Examples of ID not so 'I':
The human eye - plenty of eyes on the planet are better than human eyes: from raptors to squid to shrimp
The human throat - what 'I' creator would make the throat to contain the air AND food passage so close together that can cause choking? Not so 'I' it seems
Testicles - one theory says that animals that jump a lot have external testicles to protect those cells from abdominal pressure, while animals that don't need this protection have internal testicles - why not have all internal testicles? Same question when it comes to 'heat tolerance'.
The fact that evolution has come up with a method to have a body good enough to not cause death before reproduction, too much of the time, versus being created by an infallible creator (aka God).

Some are changing the INTELLIGENT Design to UNDESIRABLE Design, but still shows the makings of ID, which is yet another excuse to justify a POV.

Why do you think ID isn't very 'I'?
Or, why do you think ID is very 'I'?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Intelligent design not so intelligent... why?

Post #51

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:29 pm Tool or not, filling in gaps or not, when it passes into 'I make excuses for my belief, I won't listen to anything else other than my belief, I will disown my family if they don't believe as I do, I create my own logic to make my belief make sense', ad nauseam, it moves from 'belief' to faulty indoctrination and down right intellectual dishonesty.
I hear ya. It's a damnable thing to blame on gods, our own hatreds.

I think my hypothesis gets at some of that, but what I can't get to is why homosexuals would become Christian. I just can't explain that'n other'n folks have some goofy notions. I don't find that so satisfactory as I try to hold my hypothesis to some scientific / logical scrutiny.
But hey: if they want to live that chosen, hypocritical, fantasy life style, more power to them. Just don't complain when you're called out about it.
Or legislate. That's a big reason for my trying to call em out as much as I can.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Post #52

Post by Miles »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm
nobspeople wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:29 pm Tool or not, filling in gaps or not, when it passes into 'I make excuses for my belief, I won't listen to anything else other than my belief, I will disown my family if they don't believe as I do, I create my own logic to make my belief make sense', ad nauseam, it moves from 'belief' to faulty indoctrination and down right intellectual dishonesty.
Well, according to the Bible (Isaiah 47:7) the god of Abraham creates evil, so I don't see why it would be any stretch to believe he also creates hatred.

nobspeople
Prodigy

Post #53

Post by nobspeople »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #52]
what I can't get to is why homosexuals would become Christian.
Same reasons as others: a potential after life, someone greater than them supporting them, a means to pass the unknown and attribute it to God (well, God must have done it), making sense of the senseless, hope when they don't know they can rely on themselves, and on and on. Christianity is so malleable that you can make it say almost anything, ignore what you don't like and accentuate what you do like.
I try to hold my hypothesis to some scientific / logical scrutiny.
I've found many people see science as 'cut and dry', while a belief in something that hasn't been proven one way or the other offers 'fuzzies' and nice feelings.
I think science is amazing (except chemistry - it's horrible :D ) and, while I can see why people would want something more 'feeling' inspired over their version of 'meh', I just can't live my life like that fully.
Or legislate. That's a big reason for my trying to call em out as much as I can.
I've always said, if you have to legislate your belief into law, then it's not worth believing in.
If your* belief can't convince on its own merits, it's worthless.
*said generally
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by JoeyKnothead »

nobspeople wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:58 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #52]
what I can't get to is why homosexuals would become Christian.
Same reasons as others: a potential after life, someone greater than them supporting them, a means to pass the unknown and attribute it to God (well, God must have done it), making sense of the senseless, hope when they don't know they can rely on themselves, and on and on. Christianity is so malleable that you can make it say almost anything, ignore what you don't like and accentuate what you do like.
In the moment I wasn't thinking along those lines, but it is part of my god concept hypothesisting. If that ain't trying to come in after the fact and act like I meant it all along.
JK wrote:I try to hold my hypothesis to some scientific / logical scrutiny.
I've found many people see science as 'cut and dry', while a belief in something that hasn't been proven one way or the other offers 'fuzzies' and nice feelings.
I think science is amazing (except chemistry - it's horrible :D ) and, while I can see why people would want something more 'feeling' inspired over their version of 'meh', I just can't live my life like that fully.
I get my warm fuzzies from some good rock and roll and a handful of fine homemade bourbon :smile:

Mine aint so much fine, as passable, truth be told.
JK wrote:Or legislate. That's a big reason for my trying to call em out as much as I can.
I've always said, if you have to legislate your belief into law, then it's not worth believing in.
If your* belief can't convince on its own merits, it's worthless.
*said generally
Fer sher. Fer sher.
-Punkinhead Martin

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #55

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Miles wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:16 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm
Well, according to the Bible (Isaiah 47:7) the god of Abraham creates evil, so I don't see why it would be any stretch to believe he also creates hatred.

Ya ain't wrong, but I was coming from the perspective of there being no gods. But again, ya sure ain't wrong.
-Punkinhead Martin

brunumb
Savant

Post #56

Post by brunumb »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 1:44 pm I think my hypothesis gets at some of that, but what I can't get to is why homosexuals would become Christian.
For some reason that made a clip from The Simpsons pop into my head. Every time Homer reaches for a donut he gets zapped with a severe electric shock. But he keeps on reaching for it regardless! The pain that must be endured to reach the carrot dangling before them must seem worth it for some people.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.