Body as the temple of the HS

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

nobspeople
Prodigy

Body as the temple of the HS

Post #1

Post by nobspeople »

“Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God(1)? You are not your own(2), for you were bought with a price(3). So glorify God in your body.”

A few questions to discuss:

1) Who gave God the permission to use my body for his spirit?
Why did I not have a choice in that decision (I've seen no passage speaking of this decision on my part)?
How far do we take the 'your body is a temple' thing? No body modifications? No hair coloring or smoking or caffeine or alcohol? No fatty foods? No revealing clothing?

2) I find the 'you are not your own' equally disconcerting, as worded (queue the 'original text' moguls, of course). If I'm 'not my own' then why do I have free will over and (more) control (than anyone else) of my body?

3) A price I don't recall asking for. Further, many believers would say 'it's a gift, freely given', why, now, am I expected to see it as a price? A gift indicates something given for your benefit, which you're free to accept or not, no harm if not. A price indicates its value, of which you're response. Is it a gift or a price?
Have a great, potentially godless, day!

Miles
Savant

Re: Body as the temple of the HS

Post #2

Post by Miles »

Good questions. In addition, as the ERV puts it:

1 Corinthians 6:19-20
19 You should know that your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit that you received from God and that lives in you. You don’t own yourselves. 20 God paid a very high price to make you his. So honor God with your body.

I'm curious what this "very high price" was. AND, how is anyone suppose to honor god with their body? ........ Anybody? Image

bjs1
Sage

Post #3

Post by bjs1 »

[Replying to nobspeople in post #1]

This passage was written to Christians. If you are not a Christian then it does not apply to you.

If you have not given God permission for His Spirit to live in you, then the Spirit does not live in you. If you have not given your life over to Christ, then he has not laid claim on your life. If you have not asked for a price to be paid for you, then no price has been paid on your behalf.
Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
-Charles Darwin

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #4

Post by JehovahsWitness »

nobspeople wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:55 pm “Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God(1)? You are not your own(2), for you were bought with a price(3). So glorify God in your body.”

A few questions to discuss:

1) Who gave God the permission to use my body for his spirit?
What makes you think the writer was speaking to YOU?

1 CORINTHIANS 1:2 NLT

I am writing to God’s church in Corinth, to you who have been called by God to be his own holy people. He made you holy by means of Christ Jesus, just as he did for all people everywhere who call on the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, their Lord and ours.
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #5

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:25 pm
I'm curious what this "very high price" was.
Biblically the "high price" was the human life of his son.

1 PETER 1:18, 19

For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life you inherited from your forefathers, 19but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or spot.
...how is anyone suppose to honor god with their body? [

I believe, by using their life in a way that brings praise to God. That is, by living in a way that makes God happy and supports His sovereignty (see Prov 11:27; 2 Cor 5:15)

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Miles
Savant

Post #6

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:58 pm
I'm curious what this "very high price" was.
Biblically the "high price" was the human life of his son.
I wondered if that was what it meant; however, in as much as Jesus was created and put on earth to die (for our sins), how much of a price could it have been? I don't see much at all. He fulfilled his purpose and, as some would have it, went back to where he came from.

...how is anyone suppose to honor god with their body?

I believe, by using their life in a way that brings praise to God. That is, by living in a way that makes God happy and supports His sovereignty (see Prov 11:27; 2 Cor 5:15)
I can't help but cite some of the things god wants or condones, which I assume would make him happy.

Kill practicing gays.

Leviticus 20:13
13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Practice slavery

Leviticus 25:44-46
As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Cut off the hand of any woman who grabs the genitalia of anyone who fights her husband.

Deuteronomy 25:11-12

11 “Two men might be fighting against each other. One man’s wife might come to help her husband, but she must not grab the other man’s private parts. 12 If she does that, cut off her hand. Don’t feel sorry for her.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #7

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:07 pm

I can't help but cite some of the things god wants or condones, which I assume would make him happy.

Kill practicing gays.

13 “If a man has sexual relations with another man as with a woman, they have committed a terrible sin. They must be put to death. They are responsible for their own death.

Practice slavery

As for your male and female slaves whom you may have: you may buy male and female slaves from among the nations that are around you. You may also buy from among the strangers who sojourn with you and their clans that are with you, who have been born in your land, and they may be your property. You may bequeath them to your sons after you to inherit as a possession forever. You may make slaves of them, but over your brothers the people of Israel you shall not rule, one over another ruthlessly.

Cut off the hand of any woman who grabs the genitalia of anyone who fights her husband.

11 “Two men might be fighting against each other. One man’s wife might come to help her husband, but she must not grab the other man’s private parts. 12 If she does that, cut off her hand. Don’t feel sorry for her.

Yes, obedience to his law makes God happy. I have no problem with any of those scriptures, they are all good.

Any questions?

JW

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:07 pm how much of a price could it have been? I don't see much at all.
Well then, don't consider it a sacrifice - no one is forcing you to.

JW

RELATED POSTS
Could Jesus death really be considered a sacrifice?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 08#p753608

Would Jesus need to "stay dead" for the Ransom to be valid?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 80#p875280
To learn more please go to other posts related to
THE RANSOM SACRIFICE , THE EXECUTION OF CHRIST and ... MEMORIAL OF CHRIST'S DEATH

Miles
Savant

Post #9

Post by Miles »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:29 pm
Miles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 5:07 pm

Kill practicing gays.

Practice slavery

Yes, obedience to his law makes God happy. I have no problem with any of those scriptures, they are all good.
So, have you been obeying god and making him happy lately? Perhaps killing a homosexual or two? Or maybe owning a couple of people you force into doing your bidding?

Miles wrote: how much of a price could it have been? I don't see much at all.
Well then, don't consider it a sacrifice - no one is forcing you to.
I certainly won't, but I am disappointed this the best retort you could come up with. Oh well :sadblinky: . . . . . . . .

(And no, I don't read anything you post after your "JW." I don't think I ever have.)

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #10

Miles wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:24 pm

.... I am disappointed this the best retort you could come up with. Oh well ...

I am not here to debate your feelings.

We all have to cope with living in a world where people do not respond as we would like; the expression "Just get over it" comes to mind. If you would like to challenge something I have written with something other than your emotions feel free. I will certainly consider reading it.

Otherwise, thanks for sharing,

JW

RELATED POSTS
WHY does God prohibit homosexual acts?
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 94#p994394

Why did the bible authorize keeping foreiegn slaves [Leviticus 25:44-46]?
viewtopic.php?p=1042682#p1042682

Why did the Mosaic Law propose punishing women with having her hand cut off
if she'd grabbed a man's genitals during a conflict [Deuteronomy 25:11-12]?

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 99#p822599
To learn more please go to other posts related to...

SEX, SLAVERY and ...BIBLICAL PROHIBITIONS
Last edited by JehovahsWitness on Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:40 am, edited 3 times in total.