Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

New arrivals in Hades

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 193 here:
WebersHome wrote: 1,378 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post No.1 are within reason, then something like 83,790,668 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of Hades since Sept 18, 2017
For debate:

Please offer some means to confirm the quoted claim is true and factual.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Miles
Savant

Re: New arrivals in Hades

Post #2

Post by Miles »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm From Post 193 here:
WebersHome wrote: 1,378 days have elapsed since beginning the thread. If the figures in post No.1 are within reason, then something like 83,790,668 new arrivals have checked into the fiery sector of Hades since Sept 18, 2017
For debate:

That would be excluding today, June 27, 2021.

Including today the number of days is 1,379. Or 3 years, 9 months, 10 days. Or 45 months, 10 days.

Alternatively, the 1,379 days can be converted to one of these units:

119,145,600 seconds
1,985,760 minutes
33,096 hours
1379 days
197 weeks
377.81% of a common year (365 days)
source

Just sayin' 'cause I can ;)

As for the number who have checked into the fiery sector of Hades since Sept 18, 2017, 83,790,668 seems a bit low, but who am I to argue? :mrgreen:

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Miles wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 7:10 pm
JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pm From Post 193 here:
For debate:

That would be excluding today, June 27, 2021.

Including today the number of days is 1,379. Or 3 years, 9 months, 10 days. Or 45 months, 10 days.

Alternatively, the 1,379 days can be converted to one of these units:

119,145,600 seconds
1,985,760 minutes
33,096 hours
1379 days
197 weeks
377.81% of a common year (365 days)
source

Just sayin' 'cause I can ;)

As for the number who have checked into the fiery sector of Hades since Sept 18, 2017, 83,790,668 seems a bit low, but who am I to argue? :mrgreen:

A post full of information. What I can do with it is anyone's guess :wave:

Though I don't often tell it, I read a lot of your posts for the schooling, and your sense of humor. Thanks.
-Punkinhead Martin

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #4

Post by benchwarmer »

[Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

I'd be more interested in an examination of this god's apparently 'perfect' plan to save souls.

In another thread, a Christian has claimed that the first born children slaughtered by God in Egypt are saved.
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:10 pm The children are saved, and with God...and God is the giver and taker of life.
If all God needs to do to save everyone is slaughter them all himself, then why not do that? Problem solved. Everyone saved. We can all go home.

Tcg
Savant

Post #5

Post by Tcg »

benchwarmer wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:40 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]

I'd be more interested in an examination of this god's apparently 'perfect' plan to save souls.

In another thread, a Christian has claimed that the first born children slaughtered by God in Egypt are saved.
We_Are_VENOM wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 6:10 pm The children are saved, and with God...and God is the giver and taker of life.
If all God needs to do to save everyone is slaughter them all himself, then why not do that? Problem solved. Everyone saved. We can all go home.
I suspect this poster is referring to the idea that children who die before reaching the "age of accountability" go to heaven so God would have to slaughter them fairly quickly. Of course those who accept this doctrine can't decide what that age would be and others of course don't agree with it at all. It is also important to note that the story doesn't even hint of this outcome. It is added to try to justify God's violent tendency.

No matter what I find the idea of God slaughtering anyone, much less children, repugnant.

Tcg
To be clear: Atheism is not a disbelief in gods or a denial of gods; it is a lack of belief in gods.

- American Atheists

Not believing isn't the same as believing not.

- wiploc

I must assume that knowing is better than not knowing, venturing than not venturing; and that magic and illusion, however rich, however alluring, ultimately weaken the human spirit.

- Irvin D. Yalom

brunumb
Savant

Post #6

Post by brunumb »

Tcg wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 9:40 pm No matter what I find the idea of God slaughtering anyone, much less children, repugnant.
What I find repugnant also is people justifying such actions because it is by God. If ordinary human beings commit such atrocities, there is no excuse. But when God does it, well he must have a good reason. Sorry, but that just doesn't wash.
George Orwell:: “The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.”
Voltaire: "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities."
Gender ideology is anti-science, anti truth.

WebersHome
Guru

Post #7

Post by WebersHome »

brunumb wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 2:36 amWhat I find repugnant also is people justifying such actions because it is by God. If ordinary human beings commit such atrocities, there is no excuse. But when God does it, well he must have a good reason. Sorry, but that just doesn't wash.
It's difficult to find a Christian with integrity. When a critical thinker points out that some of God's ways are unreasonable; the average Christian typically circles the wagons, i.e. they become defensive and judgmental; deceitfully concealing the unspeakable truth that they too have sometimes entertained the very same opinions.

For example; try getting a Christian to answer the questions below with a straight-up, unqualifed, Yes or No.

1» Was there ever a time when you felt that God should've stepped in to prevent the Serpent from tempting Eve?

2» Was there ever a time when you resented God's control over your life?

3» Was there ever a time when you were dissatisfied with Hades and/or the Lake Of Fire? In other words: was there a time when you felt those punishments go too far, i.e. they're over-kill; too extreme.

4» God knew in advance that He would regret creating humankind, and that He would be drowning most of it in a global deluge; yet went ahead and created people anyway. Has there ever been a time when you felt there was something sick and twisted about God for doing that?

5» Was there ever a time when you felt that some of God's actions were unreasonable, unfair, inhumane, selfish, cruel, and/or the work of a mad man?

6» Was there ever a time when you wished God didn't exist?

7» Was there ever a time when you regarded God as an enemy rather than a friend?
_

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

benchwarmer wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:40 pm [Replying to JoeyKnothead in post #1]
When it's readily apparent Al Green did.

Saved from the Jehovah's Witnesses aknocking at the door.
But then the collection plate won't get filled.
-Punkinhead Martin

WebersHome
Guru

Post #9

Post by WebersHome »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:09 pmPlease offer some means to confirm the quoted claim is true and factual.
The numbers in the quote are not claimed to be spot-on. They are prefaced by "IF" which means they are conditional, i.e. an educated guess.
_

benchwarmer
Guru

Post #10

Post by benchwarmer »

JoeyKnothead wrote: Mon Jun 28, 2021 9:10 pm But then the collection plate won't get filled.

And that right there seems to be one of the main drivers of religious proselytizing. A true religion, backed by God, would not need to be backed by humans emptying their pockets.